Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

New to this. Need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-20, 08:21 PM
Tronzambony

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to this. Need some help!

I have been interested in a gravel bike for recreational use. I have been riding single speed/fixed gear most my life. I want something that can be used for multi use
a lot of gravel trail riding and also being good to ride on the street. I have a budget to 1300 max. If you have any information or guidance on bikes please let me know
Thank You!
Old 02-22-20, 10:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Dozens of options at this price level. Here are a few.

$1250- https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik.../topstone-sora

$790- https://www.jensonusa.com/Marin-Gest...caAuwSEALw_wcB

$950- https://www.rei.com/product/128510/s...gaAnxKEALw_wcB

$1000- https://www.jensonusa.com/GT-Grade-A...0aAu0yEALw_wcB
Old 02-22-20, 11:17 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Jamis Renegads, least expensive steel one. Depending on your size I may have a steel 105 Renegade used that may fit you within your budget as well.
Old 02-23-20, 02:37 PM
Tronzambony

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh sweet thank you! Have u heard much about giant revolt 2 or have any opinion on it? please let me know
Old 02-23-20, 07:36 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Giant Revolt is a great value for what you get for the price. Not the best gravel bike but pretty good and beats just about everything else at the price point. On the less expensive models some parts like crank can be a bit low-end but can also be upgraded later if you find it below par for what you are accustomed to. Giant's scale of production gives them huge cost advantage.

Jamis Renegade is closest competitor IMHO. Renegade is a very good bike and underpriced compared to similar competing bikes.

I do not have first hand experience with GT other than their models 3 years ago had inadequate tire clearance for normal gravel tires.

The Salsa Journeyman is an entry level bike that often is a good fit for commuters or occasional gravel riding. Your are paying a bit of a premium for the Salsa though. For the same price point you get a slightly better value with the aluminum Jamis Renegade or aluminum Giant Revolt.

Last edited by gravelslider; 02-23-20 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-23-20, 08:32 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
One point for the Salsa is that it has a number of cage / eyelet options. Two in the diamond, one underneath the down tube, both forks and top tube for a bolt on gas tank bag.
If that matters to the OP.