Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Moderators Closing Threads

Old 03-07-20, 12:14 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Moderators Closing Threads

Could someone explain to me why moderators seemingly arbitrarily just close threads down. This seems heavy handed and unnecessary. Why not let the Market Place do it? It is much more effeicent, much fairer and much more ethical. I would like to know what other BF users think about this practice.
Old 03-07-20, 01:07 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
I've never observed moderators closing a thread and disagreed with them. They do a good job. That's my opinion and my total input on this question.
Likes For desconhecido:
Old 03-07-20, 01:17 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by desconhecido
I've never observed moderators closing a thread and disagreed with them. They do a good job. That's my opinion and my total input on this question.
You could be right but it is so unnecessary. Unless some really offensive behavior is occurring. I have seen threads closed down because the moderator decided it wasn't interesting any more. Let it die on its own.
Old 03-07-20, 01:25 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,495 Times in 1,190 Posts
Some threads are redundant. Keeps the Zombies away...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 03-07-20, 01:43 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
It isn't uncommon for threads to be moved from the general forums to "Politics&Religion", if containing controversial subjects, effectively locking out some of the previous respondents.

As far as locking threads. I do try to give thoughtful replies, but have seen several threads I wanted to reply to that seemed to be abruptly locked. I suppose I can see the benefit of locking them down if they get too personal, or drift too far from the OP's subject, especially for certain topics that cut close to home.

Perhaps in some cases a firm warning to return to topic would be better than locking. Or, first warn, then lock.
Old 03-07-20, 01:48 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by curbtender
Yet, so many people complain about bumping zombie threads.

Personally, if a post extends a zombie topic, I'd stick it to that thread. But, if it is a new subject... I have a bike like XYZ's bike, then perhaps it deserves a new thread. Although, even that can be ambiguous as there may be reasons to wish to bump the original OP and all those who had responded previously.
Old 03-07-20, 01:52 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by curbtender
Unless something offensive is going on, if people are still interchanging on the thread, why should the moderator close the thread down? If people are still exchanging ideas it is not redundant to them. Let it die on its own.

Last edited by mjac; 03-07-20 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-07-20, 02:08 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
I appreciate the helpful info from folks more informed than I . Moderating is for the most part, a thankless job. So far I think they are doing great. Opinions may vary.
Old 03-07-20, 02:20 PM
CliffordK

Hmmm, I see the "Presta" topic got closed. I can see how a topic like that one would go round and round in circles. There is no real answer, just personal preference.

I can't say there would be strong disagreements on tubes, but forcing disagreements, and someone will get hurt.

We need more chain lube threads!!!
Old 03-07-20, 02:32 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
Could someone explain to me why moderators seemingly arbitrarily just close threads down. This seems heavy handed and unnecessary. Why not let the Market Place do it? It is much more effeicent, much fairer and much more ethical. I would like to know what other BF users think about this practice.
I think any thread closing is usually discussed and agreed upon by more that one moderator. Most thread closings are the result of mods having to clean up multiple posts that are against forum guidelines; have you by chance read them? Interesting read. Here's just one line from them: "Any decision taken by the administrators and moderators is final and must be respected." Many thread closings are the result of the thread straying so far off the OP topic they become totally unrelated to cycling. If not for the thankless work of the mods I doubt I would be a member here, as if anybody would care
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 03-07-20, 02:40 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Olefeller77
I appreciate the helpful info from folks more informed than I . Moderating is for the most part, a thankless job. So far I think they are doing great. Opinions may vary.
The reason I say this is not to deride the moderators, they are doing what they think is right. But there seems to be, especially in the past, a contentious attitude between the users of and the staff and moderators of BF. I would like to see this eased a bit. It is not as bad as it was in the past.
Old 03-07-20, 02:44 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Hmmm, I see the "Presta" topic got closed. I can see how a topic like that one would go round and round in circles. There is no real answer, just personal preference.

I can't say there would be strong disagreements on tubes, but forcing disagreements, and someone will get hurt.

We was having fun. At least I was. But it was not just this, I have seen this in the past and it bothered me. It just seems unnecessarily heavy handed and create a bad atmosphere between the members and the Staff. It was real bad in the past. I do not think that is good.
Old 03-07-20, 02:49 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
I think any thread closing is usually discussed and agreed upon by more that one moderator. Most thread closings are the result of mods having to clean up multiple posts that are against forum guidelines; have you by chance read them? Interesting read. Here's just one line from them: "Any decision taken by the administrators and moderators is final and must be respected." Many thread closings are the result of the thread straying so far off the OP topic they become totally unrelated to cycling. If not for the thankless work of the mods I doubt I would be a member here, as if anybody would care
Maybe you are right. Perhaps I do not realize what a mess this would be if there was no moderation. But being too heavy handed is not good either. It stymies free expression. I guesse it is a fine line.
Old 03-07-20, 02:58 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by CliffordK

The "Presta" topic was not closed.The "PrestI" topic was closed.
Old 03-07-20, 04:19 PM
mjac

I think that if moderators can indesciminatly close Threads, we should be able to put moderators on our Ignore List.
Likes For mjac:
Old 03-07-20, 06:19 PM
chainstay
Peace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
I think that if moderators can indesciminatly close Threads, we should be able to put moderators on our Ignore List.
Nobody gives a **** what you think.
Old 03-07-20, 06:32 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by chainstay
Nobody gives a **** what you think.
Good
Likes For mjac:
Old 03-07-20, 08:08 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Maybe you are right. Perhaps I do not realize what a mess this would be if there was no moderation. But being too heavy handed is not good either. It stymies free expression. I guesse it is a fine line.
You're right. You don't realise what a mess this would be if there were no moderation.

Often we don't see what has gone on while we were away from the computer because the mods have cleaned up the mess.

It's good the way it is.
Likes For Machka:
Old 03-07-20, 08:39 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Machka
You're right. You don't realise what a mess this would be if there were no moderation.

Often we don't see what has gone on while we were away from the computer because the mods have cleaned up the mess.

It's good the way it is.
You are probably right. I take for granted what they do. But I do not know if it is completely good the way it is.
Old 03-08-20, 06:54 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22514 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Lookit, I have my own beef with BF (more about the stupid censor/filter) but the Mods have a tough job and sometimes threads get derailed especially when personal insults get hurled and locking the thread sometimes is necessary.

I understand your desire to just have a free and open forum and part of me even wishes for this, but to reign in the occasional rogue posting, the practice is still sometimes necessary.
Old 03-08-20, 08:17 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by datlas
Lookit, I have my own beef with BF (more about the stupid censor/filter) but the Mods have a tough job and sometimes threads get derailed especially when personal insults get hurled and locking the thread sometimes is necessary.

I understand your desire to just have a free and open forum and part of me even wishes for this, but to reign in the occasional rogue posting, the practice is still sometimes necessary.
Fair Enough
Old 03-08-20, 08:47 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
We was having fun. At least I was. (in the Presto thread)
Maybe you were having fun, but were others? You pushed your point too hard in an oftentimes not so lighthearted manner. Nearly half the posts in the thread were by you, saying pretty much the same thongs over and over. And now you're doing the same thong here!

Hey, I like silly harmless troll threads as much as the next guy, but that thread was overdue for a closing. Brush up on your material and technique a bit.
Old 03-08-20, 09:53 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Maybe you were having fun, but were others? You pushed your point too hard in an oftentimes not so lighthearted manner. Nearly half the posts in the thread were by you, saying pretty much the same thongs over and over. And now you're doing the same thong here!

Hey, I like silly harmless troll threads as much as the next guy, but that thread was overdue for a closing. Brush up on your material and technique a bit.
No harm intended.
Old 03-09-20, 08:15 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
No harm intended.
Understood, and same here. Have fun!
Old 03-09-20, 09:04 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Really this can't get looked at without specific examples. And by that, I mean links to closed threads.