Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I forgot my chain was in very hot wax overnight

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-20, 11:45 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

I accidentally fell asleep while my SRAM 10 speed chain was submerged in Molten Speed Wax in my mini crock pot in the garage. I smelled a plasticky smell the next day and realized what I did. The Molten Speed Wax in the crockpot had already been used to wax chains for all of last season so it was slightly dirty with some sediment on the bottom.

The wax no longer had the original translucent grey color, it was now a translucent brown. I was afraid that maybe the chain would have been damaged in some way due to being submerged too long. As it turned out, everything with the chain is fine? Possibly better, in fact. The quietness of a newly waxed chain compared with a waxed chain with 200 miles (sometimes less) is significant. I got the feeling that this “brown” chain maybe got more wax into the internals due to kind of boiling in the pot overnight. I can post back my results after a few more rides but that first ride was very promising - the quietness is there, you can touch it and not get your hands dirty, and the shifting though initially a bit stiff - was fine. When flexing links on my freshly waxed chain I only flex in the direction that follows the curvature of the chainring. By not flexing in the counter direction, the chain stays a little stiffer, thus allowing the wax to last a bit longer (my theory).

I am going to retire the “brown” wax for now. I already have 2 chains ready for a re-Wax. I was going to try GulfWax canning wax with some paraffin oil for my next trial. Leaving the chain in the oil for a few hours in the mini crock pot is what I want to experiment with. Last year I put the chain in for a quick dip and sloshy tooled it back and forth for just a minute or two and had a few rides where the chain became noisy in just 2 rides.
Old 03-25-20, 11:52 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Wonder if that brownness has to do with the extended heating period or the sediment.
Old 03-25-20, 12:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
it ts the wax carmelizing like onions

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-25-20, 03:12 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Wonder if that brownness has to do with the extended heating period or the sediment.
I’m thinking it wasn’t the sediment. Because I had a bit of sediment before, and it didn’t do that.
Old 03-25-20, 06:37 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I usually leave my chains overnight in the crock pot of melted wax. Doesn't get hot enough to damage anything.

Any change in color may be oxidation or may be discoloration from dirty wax settling into the chain's rust-resistant surface. Most chains are treated with some version of surface treatment to reduce rust. With stainless steel it's often referred to as passivating or pickling. The passive surface treatment is usually oxidation that forms a surface with a slight "tooth" that holds oil or wax to improve rust resistance. It may be brownish or grayish in appearance but it does the same thing. It's just a fuzzy surface treatment to hold oil, grease or wax.

Metal workers centuries ago realized a controlled rust/oxidation surface on carbon steel preserved it better against serious damage from uncontrolled rust. So black powder firearms were usually treated with a browning or blackening oxidation, a multi-step process that built up a controlled oxidation surface that would then be coated with fat, grease, even butter, anything to help resist corrosion from black powder and humidity.
Old 03-25-20, 07:07 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
All three of my wax pots are that brownish color, because I've discarded the wax and started fresh-- so there's still some 3-year-old wax mixed in there.

I usually do my dips on Mondays, so I fired up the pots that afternoon. Didn't throw the chain on the 1X bike until I was heading out on my ride Tuesday morning, and didn't do the road bike until just a few hours ago.

So they were sitting in hot wax for a couple of days. Makes no difference. I do a 2-chain rotation, so there is always a chain in the wax. A completely stripped chain can't form rust when its sitting in a solid block of wax.
Old 03-26-20, 01:53 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I gave up on hot wax over 20 years ago.
Old 03-26-20, 10:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I keep wanting to wax my chains just to try it. Maybe during Modelo Time I should try it out. The idea of leaving them in overnight is interesting and wonder if it actually does make it better. Certainly love caramelized onions why not a caramelized chain?

And so I don't leave on an unfunny note: Q: What you do call a browned bicycle hub? A: A Maillard

I will see myself out!
Old 03-27-20, 06:47 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I usually wax on Friday morning... smooth and ready for the weekend
Likes For trailangel: