Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Iro Mark V - looking to put on rear brakes

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-20, 11:11 AM
iluvmysh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone put brakes on their iro mark V? I’m looking to put some rear brakes on and was wondering what brand people use? Anyone put some used ultrgra ?
Old 04-02-20, 07:13 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Running Campy Veloce brakes on mine. Think they came stock but am not entirely sure as the bike was a gift and came with a couple tweaks.
I greatly recommend brakes for street use.
Old 04-02-20, 08:38 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Campy was not stock calipers. Ultegra will be great. I run tektros on mine and they work well for my dad bod.
Old 04-03-20, 05:03 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I think they were an upgrade option or something like that?
I could very well be wrong. But I think I remember that from back in the day. Was long, long ago, though lol.
Old 04-03-20, 08:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
If you have drilling for a brake you can put a brake on just about anything. If you don't have a front brake always put on a front brake first. That has most of your stopping power.

The best thing you can do for those brakes is use quality housing and cables (Jagwire Pro or Elite) along with high end brake pads (like those from SwissStop) You don't have to have super high end calipers but if you do and you use the cheap stuff it won't give you great braking. I have experimented with my old Dura Ace calipers with really nice pads and really cheap pads I can say the cheap pads were quite noticeable in their terrible grabbing of the rim.