Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes to go with Ultegra 6600 levers?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-20, 12:27 AM
serb_costa

Bikes: Ram ht. one, Gravel bike in the making

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

Recently I've acquired a pair of Ultegra 6600 levers (3x9), and I'm looking pair them with some mechanical disc brakes.
Basically I should choose between BR-CX77, TRP Spyre, Hayes CX Expert. My biggest concern is the cable pull ratio each of these calipers require.
  • As per Shimano's documentation, CX77 are made for New Super SLR cable pull ratio, and as far as I've documented myself, the ST-6600 have the Super SLR cable pull ratio.
  • Regarding the Spyre's, they claim that they "work with all levers", but as I saw in some places, they are rather all mouth and no trousers.
  • As far as Hayes are concerned, some people claim that they work with STi levers, but unfortunately they don't specify more.
I've traversed the internet across all directions, and couldn't find anyone to have tried any of these setups. I couldn't post the links to sources(as I don't have yet 10 posts made), but I hope that's alright.

Thank you all for your answers, and #stayhome
Old 04-03-20, 01:40 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
As long as the disc brakes are designed for road bikes and not mountain bikes, should be fine?
Old 04-03-20, 03:00 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
6600 has relatively similar cable pull to current SRAM road and that works well with Spyres in my experience, for what it's worth.
Old 04-03-20, 05:33 AM
serb_costa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
As long as the disc brakes are designed for road bikes and not mountain bikes, should be fine?
Basically all of these 3 calipers are ok with short pull levers, but, as we see, even these short pull calipers require different amounts of pull.
Old 04-04-20, 03:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
I am a big fan of TRP Spyres having used them on my touring bike and ridden them on other bikes. I would probably stick with those. The Shimano calipers are single piston design that are a little better than Avid bb7s but still similar actuation and I like dual piston. Hayes are a non-starter for me, they don't even have any pad adjustment so they are worse then even Avid bb5s. Also not a fan of a company using DOT fluid for their hydraulic brakes.
Old 04-05-20, 05:16 AM
serb_costa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of levers do you use, veganbikes ?