Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Help a touring guy find a light comfy gravel bike

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 04-03-20, 03:22 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts

I'm heading for retirement and considering treating myself to a light and comfortable all purpose bike. That led me to gravel bikes of which I know little.
I'm a C&V guy with an assortment of mid 80's pretty top end touring bikes that I ride for recreation and an occasional tour. My knowledge of the new bike tech hasn't advanced much beyond STI levers. Based on some online perusing I've found the Cannondale Topstone Ultegra RX or RX 2 and Specialized Diverge Comp as viable options. I'm certainly not locked into those so other options would be appreciated but I know when this COVID-19 ordeal is beyond us I will likely be able to find those to test ride locally. I've never thought I'd spend this amount on a bike but I guess I'm looking in the $2K to 4K range.
Criteria:
Light - I don't own or have ever ridden anything under 23 lbs so I'm hoping to find a sub 20 lb bike. My touring bikes give me all the comfort I need but cutting about 10 lbs off the ride would the main reason for the purchase. I'm thinking carbon is a must to get to this weight range but am not opposed to aluminum at a similar weight.
Comfort
- as I age I like more height on the bars so help me out with something with higher stack height and upright positioning. I ride in the drops some but don't want a ton of hand pressure when riding on the top.
- I'm a fan of wide tires but some type of additional vibration reduction would be nice. Probably more on the bar/hands unless they are up high enough.
Utility - I know it defeats the weight criteria but the ability to add a rack for lighter touring or just extra gear is kind of a must. Fenders would be nice but probably not a deal breaker. Unless I'm touring or get caught in a shower I generally don't ride in the rain.
Quality - I want a bike the company will stand behind and I have access to parts/service. At 66 the number of years and miles I'll be putting on it shouldn't be an issue with the longevity of the wear and tear of most parts.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions based on experiences with the couple I'm considering or what you may suggest. I have a 2004 Specialized Sequoia with Shimano 105 and find the components fine but if anyone feels Ultegra is well worth the upgrade please let me know also.
Thanks in advance for helping me find a ten pound lighter, wider tire version of my 84 Miyata 1000 :-)
Old 04-03-20, 04:29 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
I'll throw Salsa Warbird out there as a bike that fits the bill.
Old 04-03-20, 04:37 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
A few threads ago there is a discussion on carbon bikes which can take a load. In the reading there you'll also find a CyclingAbout link to other models.
Old 04-03-20, 07:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
The Cannondale carbon frame has a rear wheel dish that is not standard, has to do with the rear suspension system. If you desire longevity, maybe don’t go with a frame that uses a proprietary suspension system such as the Specialized or carbon Topstone. Maybe go with something that allows larger tire sizes, 45mm or so and maybe a carbon bar, stem and seatpost to soak up a bit of shock.

Lots of bikes, Giant, Trek, Ibis, Niner, Salsa. Also maybe aim for a bike with GRX, allows greater option on the rear gearing to 46 on the cassette, as well the crank will be 48/31or 46/30 which would be a better choice than a 50/34.
Old 04-03-20, 08:07 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
You might like a Lynskey gravel bike. They have had a long sale at 30% off. Gravel
Old 04-04-20, 06:12 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I'll throw Salsa Warbird out there as a bike that fits the bill.
I’m happy with my Warbird. I would add the Cutthroat to the OP’s list, higher stack height might work better.
Likes For wheelsmcgee:
Old 04-05-20, 07:15 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_biker
I'm heading for retirement and considering treating myself to a light and comfortable all purpose bike. That led me to gravel bikes of which I know little.
I'm a C&V guy with an assortment of mid 80's pretty top end touring bikes that I ride for recreation and an occasional tour. My knowledge of the new bike tech hasn't advanced much beyond STI levers. Based on some online perusing I've found the Cannondale Topstone Ultegra RX or RX 2 and Specialized Diverge Comp as viable options. I'm certainly not locked into those so other options would be appreciated but I know when this COVID-19 ordeal is beyond us I will likely be able to find those to test ride locally. I've never thought I'd spend this amount on a bike but I guess I'm looking in the $2K to 4K range.
Criteria:
Light - I don't own or have ever ridden anything under 23 lbs so I'm hoping to find a sub 20 lb bike. My touring bikes give me all the comfort I need but cutting about 10 lbs off the ride would the main reason for the purchase. I'm thinking carbon is a must to get to this weight range but am not opposed to aluminum at a similar weight.
Comfort
- as I age I like more height on the bars so help me out with something with higher stack height and upright positioning. I ride in the drops some but don't want a ton of hand pressure when riding on the top.
- I'm a fan of wide tires but some type of additional vibration reduction would be nice. Probably more on the bar/hands unless they are up high enough.
Utility - I know it defeats the weight criteria but the ability to add a rack for lighter touring or just extra gear is kind of a must. Fenders would be nice but probably not a deal breaker. Unless I'm touring or get caught in a shower I generally don't ride in the rain.
Quality - I want a bike the company will stand behind and I have access to parts/service. At 66 the number of years and miles I'll be putting on it shouldn't be an issue with the longevity of the wear and tear of most parts.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions based on experiences with the couple I'm considering or what you may suggest. I have a 2004 Specialized Sequoia with Shimano 105 and find the components fine but if anyone feels Ultegra is well worth the upgrade please let me know also.
Thanks in advance for helping me find a ten pound lighter, wider tire version of my 84 Miyata 1000 :-)
My Niner RLT 9 RDO is right at 19.5lbs with Ultegra Di2 and Enve G23 wheels and 40mm tires. Plenty of mounts for anything you would want, Carbon Fiber frame that rides nicely, and has Stack/reach similar to my Domane in the same size so it's endurance geometry. My choice for a forever jack of all trades bike at 63 years old. I chose Ultegra because I wanted Di2. Definitely go hydraulic brakes whatever you choose.

Originally Posted by Gconan
You might like a Lynskey gravel bike. They have had a long sale at 30% off. Gravel
He said light, that's not a light bike
Old 04-05-20, 08:13 AM
Gconan

Originally Posted by srode1

He said light, that's not a light bike
What does it weigh?
Old 04-05-20, 08:52 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
What does it weigh?
20.3 lbs before pedals and bottle cages for the pro GR in a large size with Industry 9 Ultra lite wheels - so it will be over 21lbs finished most likely.
Old 04-05-20, 09:05 AM
Gconan

Thank you for the information !
Old 04-05-20, 09:06 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
If you're considering the Carbon Topstone I'd go with the RX2, it has the aluminum wheelset vs carbon. I've read a few reviews about the carbon wheelsets on the RX needing to be trued regularly. The Topstone frameset isn't the lightest out there either. My Carbon 105 weighs roughly 25.5lbs ready to ride; bone stock and setup tubeless, with one full water bottle, empty seatpack and 1lb front lamp+battery.

The Carbon Topstone is also fairly "racey" with a 61mm BB drop. It fits and acts like a road bike, very nimble and responsive but still very stable on the decents.

I think a more mtb oriented machine like the Warbird, cutthroat would be nicer for laid back touring. The Niner as well has much more stack vs reach.
Old 04-05-20, 10:07 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
If you're considering the Carbon Topstone I'd go with the RX2, it has the aluminum wheelset vs carbon. I've read a few reviews about the carbon wheelsets on the RX needing to be trued regularly. The Topstone frameset isn't the lightest out there either. My Carbon 105 weighs roughly 25.5lbs ready to ride; bone stock and setup tubeless, with one full water bottle, empty seatpack and 1lb front lamp+battery.

The Carbon Topstone is also fairly "racey" with a 61mm BB drop. It fits and acts like a road bike, very nimble and responsive but still very stable on the decents.

I think a more mtb oriented machine like the Warbird, cutthroat would be nicer for laid back touring. The Niner as well has much more stack vs reach.
Totally agree on your recommendation. (although, that's a bizarre way to weigh a bike. 25lbs with all that extra stuff means the bike itself is probably pretty light)
Old 04-05-20, 10:28 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Totally agree on your recommendation. (although, that's a bizarre way to weigh a bike. 25lbs with all that extra stuff means the bike itself is probably pretty light)
What I was thinking. I weigh without rear bag, tools, lights or computer and certainly not a full water bottle. My aluminum Topstone 105 is 22.6 lbs thus, with SPD pedals.
Old 04-06-20, 07:35 AM
badger_biker 

Originally Posted by Steve B.
The Cannondale carbon frame has a rear wheel dish that is not standard, has to do with the rear suspension system. If you desire longevity, maybe don’t go with a frame that uses a proprietary suspension system such as the Specialized or carbon Topstone. Maybe go with something that allows larger tire sizes, 45mm or so and maybe a carbon bar, stem and seatpost to soak up a bit of shock.

Lots of bikes, Giant, Trek, Ibis, Niner, Salsa. Also maybe aim for a bike with GRX, allows greater option on the rear gearing to 46 on the cassette, as well the crank will be 48/31or 46/30 which would be a better choice than a 50/34.
Thanks - good info. I took a beating on a gravel/road tour in Idaho a few years ago on my Specialized Expedition with 38mm tires and wider is definitely in the cards for me.

@wheelsmcgee - what does your Warbird weigh? I can't seem to find any weight info for Salsa bikes anywhere. It is a nice looking bike and good suggestion as well as the Cutthroat.

Thanks to all for the good comments and recommendations.
Old 04-06-20, 11:37 AM
shoota 

Thanks - good info. I took a beating on a gravel/road tour in Idaho a few years ago on my Specialized Expedition with 38mm tires and wider is definitely in the cards for me.

@wheelsmcgee - what does your Warbird weigh? I can't seem to find any weight info for Salsa bikes anywhere. It is a nice looking bike and good suggestion as well as the Cutthroat.

Thanks to all for the good comments and recommendations.
My Apex 1 Warbird was about 22 lbs stock. It's now down to 20.75lbs without changing the wheels.
Old 04-09-20, 09:22 PM
altondavis2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Unless you're hooked on carbon you may want to try the Specialized Diverge Comp E5.
I have one and just am wowed by the Future Shock feature. It does make daily rides a lot
easier, taking the bounce out of small road ripples. It has the latest Shimano 105 features
including hydraulic brakes. It sounds like you already somewhat satisfied with Specialized products
and may even have an LBS that could give you a bike to try out.
Old 04-10-20, 07:59 AM
badger_biker 

My Apex 1 Warbird was about 22 lbs stock. It's now down to 20.75lbs without changing the wheels.
Are you running 700c or 650b?

I'm kind of locking in on the carbon GRX 600 versions of Warbird with 650b, Cutthroat, or Diamondback Haanjo EXP as my main options based on tire size and gearing. The Diamondback is in the mix because of the 21 in. stock low gear but the mechanical brakes are a negative. I'd like to wind up around 20 gear inch ideally but with the GRX 810 RD on both Warbird and Cutthroat I don't think I can get much below 24. Any comments on people that have gotten lower would be appreciated!
I don't know if something like a Wolftooth Roadlink was used but I did see something about a 46/30 crank and 11/40 cassette working on the Warbird. If so that would get me to a 20 GI.

Can you order the Warbird from a retailer like REI with 650b as a delivered option? I'm wondering how much they would be willing to swap out and avoid purchasing a second set of wheels.
Old 04-10-20, 02:23 PM
shoota 

Are you running 700c or 650b?

I'm kind of locking in on the carbon GRX 600 versions of Warbird with 650b, Cutthroat, or Diamondback Haanjo EXP as my main options based on tire size and gearing. The Diamondback is in the mix because of the 21 in. stock low gear but the mechanical brakes are a negative. I'd like to wind up around 20 gear inch ideally but with the GRX 810 RD on both Warbird and Cutthroat I don't think I can get much below 24. Any comments on people that have gotten lower would be appreciated!
I don't know if something like a Wolftooth Roadlink was used but I did see something about a 46/30 crank and 11/40 cassette working on the Warbird. If so that would get me to a 20 GI.

Can you order the Warbird from a retailer like REI with 650b as a delivered option? I'm wondering how much they would be willing to swap out and avoid purchasing a second set of wheels.
700c. There's no reason any bike couldn't be adapted to 46/30 by 11/40 or 11/42
Old 04-10-20, 03:19 PM
gus6464

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
I'd go with the cutthroat. It's made to haul and go for the long haul while still being light. You might find the Warbird too racey as it is their gravel racing bike after all.
Old 04-10-20, 03:30 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts

Sorry I missed this...I’m guessing it weighed between 20-21 bone stock without pedals. I don’t have a good scale, but I’ll try to put it on my digital human scale and let you know. Salsa used to be good about posting weights; they never did for this particular model Warbird for some reason.

Coming from a steel touring bike, it seems light as a feather. It’s the only bike I own that I can easily grab by the top tube and flip up over my head and onto my garage ceiling bike hooks!
Old 04-10-20, 09:02 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by gus6464
I'd go with the cutthroat. It's made to haul and go for the long haul while still being light. You might find the Warbird too racey as it is their gravel racing bike after all.
Agreed. Cutthroat is the right answer.
Likes For shoota:
Old 04-12-20, 01:48 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Old 04-30-20, 01:21 PM
badger_biker 

Well I thought I'd update all of you who gave me some great suggestions and information.
As much as I liked the Cutthroat with the higher stack height I opted for the Diamondback Haanjo 5C EXP. If I had fewer bikes I might have been able to justify double the price for the Cutthroat but as it stands the $1739 for the Haanjo was a great value that pretty well checked all my boxes. If times were different and I could have tried out the Cutthroat maybe I would have felt differently.

So far with a couple rides and about 50 miles on both pavement and gravel I'm very pleased. It handles great, rides quick, and is comfortable. The lower bar height than my other bikes doesn't seem to be an issue and I have the impression I'm riding pretty upright. I guess if I have future issues I could go with a stem with more rise or a stem extender.

It has quality components and I really like the WTB Byway tires. It didn't bother me on the first ride but after the second ride the saddle just wasn't as comfortable after some distance so I put my Brooks B17N on it. I wish it had additional fork mounts and maybe the top tube bag mounts. My gear should I decide to use this bike for touring is all panniers so no issues with missing the other frame bag mounts.

Anyway at this point I'm happy with my choice and would highly recommend the bike. A great price point for a quality bike to get into gravel riding.
Old 05-04-20, 12:05 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Wow great setup and killer price! I immediately switched my saddle before I left the store, I wonder why they even spec saddles on bikes. For me the saddle on my Topstone was the exact model I had ridden and didn't like, so although I was a pretty good buyer I got a little pushy on swapping saddles immediately

Post some pictures
Old 05-04-20, 07:58 PM
badger_biker 

I don't have a picture after the saddle swap but this is how it came stock.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.