Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-16, 08:54 AM
fixed4life@gmai

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Touring, 1993 Bianchi Nyala Drop Bar Commuter, 2013 Novara Strada, 2015 Trek Allant 7, 2016 Priority Eight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Very sharp. IGH, 8-speed?
Thanks! It is the Nexus Inter-8 (the cheapest 8spd model). It is not the quietest or smoothest, but it rides very well, and the range is plenty for my commute.
Old 06-08-16, 08:59 AM
fixed4life@gmai

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Touring, 1993 Bianchi Nyala Drop Bar Commuter, 2013 Novara Strada, 2015 Trek Allant 7, 2016 Priority Eight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmon
I haven't posted a picture of this since the new handlebars, stem, and saddle. Not that you can tell. But here's a picture of my commuter (in fact, my only bike) subbing as a weekend fun vehicle. Rode in the dirt for a bit right before this picture was taken.

Nice ride! How do you like your "Mary" style bar for commuting? How long is your commute?
Old 06-08-16, 12:28 PM
Denci0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixed4life@gmai
At about the 500 mile mark now with the eight. It is still evolving into exactly what I want, but I am getting very close.

Nice. How did you mount the gripshift to the bar?

Last edited by Denci0; 06-08-16 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-08-16, 12:52 PM
fixed4life@gmai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Denci0
Nice. How did you mount the gripshift to the bar?
Thanks.

Currently I am just using a accessory mount bar (link). It works well enough, but it is far from ideal.

I have a Nexus specific bar-end shifter from Microshift on order (link), it will be here Friday. I am hoping it will work well, but information on it is very limited...

Last edited by fixed4life@gmai; 06-08-16 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-08-16, 01:23 PM
Denci0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks.

Currently I am just using a accessory mount bar (link). It works week enough, but it is far from ideal.

I have a Nexus specific bar-end shifter from Microshift on order (link), it will be here Friday. I am hoping it will work well, but information on it is very limited...
I see. I did one mod on mine and it's to switch to butterfly bars. I'm liking it so far. Hopefully the bar end shifters work out for you.
Old 06-08-16, 08:42 PM
dougmon 
Fred For Life

Bikes: Kona Big Rove AL, Surly Straggler

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice ride! How do you like your "Mary" style bar for commuting? How long is your commute?
It's a Metropolis handlebar; I wish I could've gotten a better picture of them. I like them quite a lot. With the raised stem and the angle of the grips, I can ride upright with very little effort.

My commute is very short; an 8 mile round trip. But the way there has a slight upward grade all the way, so it's good exercise in the morning. The bonus, of course, is that I get to coast home as much as I want.
Old 06-08-16, 09:45 PM
theghostrider

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmon
I haven't posted a picture of this since the new handlebars, stem, and saddle. Not that you can tell. But here's a picture of my commuter (in fact, my only bike) subbing as a weekend fun vehicle. Rode in the dirt for a bit right before this picture was taken.

Nice bike.

I'very been wanting one ofor those since they showed up at my local bike shop. That matter deep purple is hot!
Old 06-09-16, 07:33 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
First ride today on my newest commuter, an early 1980s Specialized Sequoia, which was their sport touring model at the time. I had it built with a the retro touch, using the original-style Suntour Superbe brakes, MKS pedals & toe clips, the original La Prade seat post, the original Specialized headset and a Nitto Deluxe stem. The crankset is a Stronglight 50-34 compact, comparable to the Sugino AT crank used on the original bike.

Although it was just one 15-mile ride, I could quickly tell that this is going to be a sweet-riding bike with a magic carpet feel. The brakes stop surprisingly well for 35-year-old single pivots, due in part to the Kool Stop salmon pads. The pedals are gonna have to go, based on my ride to work. I hadn't ridden with toe clips for many years and had forgotten what a hassle they are to clip into. With all of the traffic lights on my commute route, it was a major pain clipping in again after every stop and the clips were scraping a lot.

The frame has an unusual (to me) arrangement for water bottle mounts, on the top and bottom sides of the down tube. I don't want to put a water bottle under the down tube, but really only need one bottle for commuting anyway, so will get by with one cage for now. However, I bought a Zefal Gizmo strap-on mount that I can put on the seat tube, if I decided to add one later.

Not sure if I will keep the rear rack or use a Carradice bag with Bagman seat rack. Plan to add fenders later, since this bike will be used mainly for commuting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sequoia built 1.jpg (57.8 KB, 512 views)
Sequoia built 2.jpg (71.1 KB, 478 views)
Old 06-09-16, 03:09 PM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
First ride today on my newest commuter, an early 1980s Specialized Sequoia, which was their sport touring model at the time. I had it built with a the retro touch, using the original-style Suntour Superbe brakes, MKS pedals & toe clips, the original La Prade seat post, the original Specialized headset and a Nitto Deluxe stem. The crankset is a Stronglight 50-34 compact, comparable to the Sugino AT crank used on the original bike.

Although it was just one 15-mile ride, I could quickly tell that this is going to be a sweet-riding bike with a magic carpet feel. The brakes stop surprisingly well for 35-year-old single pivots, due in part to the Kool Stop salmon pads. The pedals are gonna have to go, based on my ride to work. I hadn't ridden with toe clips for many years and had forgotten what a hassle they are to clip into. With all of the traffic lights on my commute route, it was a major pain clipping in again after every stop and the clips were scraping a lot.

The frame has an unusual (to me) arrangement for water bottle mounts, on the top and bottom sides of the down tube. I don't want to put a water bottle under the down tube, but really only need one bottle for commuting anyway, so will get by with one cage for now. However, I bought a Zefal Gizmo strap-on mount that I can put on the seat tube, if I decided to add one later.

Not sure if I will keep the rear rack or use a Carradice bag with Bagman seat rack. Plan to add fenders later, since this bike will be used mainly for commuting.

Nice looking bike!
Old 06-09-16, 08:06 PM
dougmon 
Fred For Life

Bikes: Kona Big Rove AL, Surly Straggler

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by theghostrider
Nice bike.

I'very been wanting one ofor those since they showed up at my local bike shop. That matter deep purple is hot!
Funny thing is, I bought this bike on an impulse, and for a while wasn't sure about it. But for the past few months I've been finding new things to like about this bike. It's not zippy, but it is pretty solid and a very relaxed ride. I actually got some BMX-style pedals put on it today, and I like the ride even more now.
Old 06-12-16, 08:35 PM
theghostrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got this back in 2014 . Right away I added a rack for the milk crate, and fenders. Last year I had the stem replaced with a shorter one. I also switched seats. I had initially swappout the stock saddle for my old Cloud-9 seat, but then last year I started looking around and saw this Becoz from Selle Royal and thought it _old not only look great on my bike but also suit me well. So far it'seems worked out fine.

I've really been happy with this bike so far. It seems a little faster than my old mtb, and rides nice.

I don'the use it to get to work since I live only three blocks away, but I do like to do errands with it as well as recreational riding.

BTW, it'seems a 2014 Kona Dew Plus. Don'the know why my pic upload upside down. If anyone can help with that would be nice.
Attached Images
20160612_195601.jpg (98.6 KB, 457 views)
20160612_195608.jpg (97.5 KB, 451 views)
20160612_195534.jpg (100.7 KB, 478 views)
Old 06-12-16, 09:35 PM
PolarBear007
Touring Enthusiast

Bikes: 23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got this back in 2014 . Right away I added a rack for the milk crate, and fenders. Last year I had the stem replaced with a shorter one. I also switched seats. I had initially swappout the stock saddle for my old Cloud-9 seat, but then last year I started looking around and saw this Becoz from Selle Royal and thought it _old not only look great on my bike but also suit me well. So far it'seems worked out fine.

I've really been happy with this bike so far. It seems a little faster than my old mtb, and rides nice.

I don'the use it to get to work since I live only three blocks away, but I do like to do errands with it as well as recreational riding.

BTW, it'seems a 2014 Kona Dew Plus. Don'the know why my pic upload upside down. If anyone can help with that would be nice.
Ummm - yer pics are all uppy-side down and downy-side up.....
Old 06-12-16, 10:49 PM
theghostrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I can'tell imagine why I added that last line. lol

Last edited by theghostrider; 06-13-16 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-13-16, 12:01 AM
jetta_mike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rack is on, as is the new bar ends.
Old 06-13-16, 04:04 AM
Redhatter

Bikes: Dahon fold-up, '12 Giant Talon 29 ER 0, '16 Giant Toughroad SLR1.

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts

You must be posting from the northern hemisphere… I had to stand on my head to read that. ;-)
Old 06-13-16, 10:33 AM
theghostrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Redhatter
You must be posting from the northern hemisphere… I had to stand on my head to read that. ;-)
I even tried rotating the pics 180 degrees, and they still uploaded upside down. ???
Old 06-13-16, 10:39 AM
PolarBear007
Touring Enthusiast

Bikes: 23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I even tried rotating the pics 180 degrees, and they still uploaded upside down. ???
I know when i upload pics to an online "parking spot" (i use photobucket and am pleased with it), they must be "correct" (meaning orientation, etc) when i initially upload.

This so that when i link to them or add them to a post they will appear "correct". I've found photo hosting site's image editors do not save the "original" image even if i "save" edits of the photo's on the hosts site.

Others MMV...
Old 06-13-16, 11:34 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
If you take pictures with an iphone or ipad and you're using landscape mode, orient it so the home button is on the right.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-13-16, 11:50 AM
Redhatter

Bikes: Dahon fold-up, '12 Giant Talon 29 ER 0, '16 Giant Toughroad SLR1.

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts
What did you use to rotate the images? Some viewers just record a "rotation" value in the EXIF data of the JPEG and others actually rotate the image data itself. Not all viewers understand that rotation EXIF field though, and on those, the field has no effect.
Old 06-19-16, 05:41 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
my Trek
Old 06-19-16, 02:55 PM
Lurch
Fossil

Bikes: Izip E3 Path Plus Step Thru , Raleigh Misceo

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This link is to a photo of what commuter bicycles look like in Florence, Italy. People ride into the old city center from outlying areas and park everywhere, but this is an official parking area. https://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...0&d=1225332602
Old 06-21-16, 04:52 PM
specialies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
my Trek
what handlebar is that?
Old 06-21-16, 07:26 PM
mrribbits

Bikes: '15 Surly Straggler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Straggler commuter

My new commuter/light tourer. Custom build black Straggler with red King hub and headset, 105 components, Velocity A23 Comp wheels, Rock n' Road tires, HY/RD brakes, VO Grand Cru seatpost, Brooks Flyer, Salsa stem and cowbell bars, Tubus disco rack, Somafab porteur rack, A530 dual platform pedals.

Super comfy ride. Gonna swap out the RnR tires for smoother Compass 38s this week.
Attached Images
IMG_20160613_160918.jpg (101.5 KB, 452 views)
IMG_20160613_160801.jpg (101.9 KB, 454 views)
Old 06-21-16, 10:29 PM
dim

Originally Posted by specialies
what handlebar is that?
it's a thicker diameter handlebar (Bontranger), and came with the bike
Old 06-21-16, 10:31 PM
dim

My new commuter .... only received it yesterday, and it needs some work/customising:

1980's Condor made with Reynolds 531 ST (Super Tourist):

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.