Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Broken Spoke, what to do?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 08:52 PM
Rice923

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I unlocked my bike today after dropping by a sporting goods store, and within 5 feet of movement a spoke broke on the rear wheel.

I am out of town for school right now so I don't have ready access to an LBS. Is it safe to still ride the bike after I remove the broken spoke? Or would the uneven pressure warp the bike if I put a load on it?

The wheel is a standard 32 spoke setup.
Old 02-16-10, 08:54 PM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think you will be fine, but I would be careful about hitting big bumps or potholes. I would also make sure the wheel doesn't get too much out of true.
Old 02-16-10, 08:58 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
where are you, siberia? look up a bike shop and have them replace the spoke, should be a pretty inexpensive operation.
Old 02-16-10, 09:11 PM
KiddSisko
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
where are you, Bumf*ck, Egypt? look up a bike shop and have them replace the spoke, should be a pretty inexpensive operation.
Couldn't help myself.
Old 02-16-10, 10:54 PM
7bmwm3gtr

Bikes: Trek 2.1, CAAD10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Standard (black) spokes cost about $2-$4 something. Plus Labor

Last edited by 7bmwm3gtr; 02-16-10 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-16-10, 11:00 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 7bmwm3gtr
Standard spokes cost about $2-$4 something. Plus Labor
Seriously? At my shop we charge $1 a spoke, for a standard DT champion.
Old 02-16-10, 11:02 PM
7bmwm3gtr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mzeffex
Seriously? At my shop we charge $1 a spoke, for a standard DT champion.
Oh sorry, i was talking about a black spoke. Unless my LBS is ripping me off =0
Old 02-16-10, 11:06 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Okay, black spokes are more.
Old 02-16-10, 11:16 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
I'm assuming you broke a spoke on the rear wheel of your bike as that is where most breaks occur. The concerning thing about a broken spoke is that spokes, when properly tensioned, should last a long time. A broken spoke is generally an indication of a poorly built wheel, either very uneven tension or too low of tension. If you do nothing other than replace the broken spoke and retrue the wheel, you'll likely be repeating the process is a short amount of time.

If you want to save yourself some money in the long run, find a reputable LBS that has someone with the skill and knowledge to properly tension your wheel after replacing the spoke. It will cost you some extra money now, but in the long run it will be worth it. If you continue to ride the wheel as-is, you'll soon be looking at completely rebuilding the wheel as spoke failures will become more numerous at which point a full replacement is the best option.
Old 02-17-10, 12:51 AM
Rice923

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much is it for labor typically? And how long does it take to do a job like this? I don't want to take the bus to school... weather is finally looking nice
Old 02-17-10, 01:01 AM
sirious94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well chances are they will want to true the whole wheel, so probably around 60 bucks, but you can ask for the spoke, put it on, and true it yourself if you have a spoke tool handy.
Old 02-17-10, 01:04 AM
AusTai

Bikes: Marin Verona road bike, Cannondale F300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is properly tensioning the wheel after replacing the spoke that difficult? I'd think any bike shop would have the tools to do it, but maybe I'm naive.
Old 02-17-10, 01:10 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
It is not difficult. If your shop doesn't have the tools, find a new shop. Seriously, run away.
Old 02-17-10, 02:03 AM
7bmwm3gtr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rice923
How much is it for labor typically? And how long does it take to do a job like this? I don't want to take the bus to school... weather is finally looking nice
Labor for fixing a broken spoke is pretty ridiculous if its more than $10.

If you look a little helpless and pretty sad about it, theres a chance they could throw it in for free.

I've recevied free tightening on loose headsets and other bolts, as well as a wheel true, and a spoke straightening because it got bent for free, and i didn't even buy the bike there.

I simply looked lost and had that "I just broke something, will i ever be able to ride my bike again" attitude.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Usually depends on the people in the shop, their mood, and how bad the problem is.
Old 02-17-10, 02:25 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 7bmwm3gtr
Labor for fixing a broken spoke is pretty ridiculous if its more than $10.

If you look a little helpless and pretty sad about it, theres a chance they could throw it in for free.

I've recevied free tightening on loose headsets and other bolts, as well as a wheel true, and a spoke straightening because it got bent for free, and i didn't even buy the bike there.

I simply looked lost and had that "I just broke something, will i ever be able to ride my bike again" attitude.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Usually depends on the people in the shop, their mood, and how bad the problem is.
If I were you I would just pay it.

You guys have it lucky if you have good LBSs and you should help in keeping them viable. In India we have no real LBSs worth their name. Nice guys and all but no stocks of ANYTHING.

Would love to have a nice LBS, and would certainly pay for good service.
Old 02-17-10, 02:34 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951

If you want to save yourself some money in the long run, find a reputable LBS that has someone with the skill and knowledge to properly tension your wheel after replacing the spoke. It will cost you some extra money now, but in the long run it will be worth it. If you continue to ride the wheel as-is, you'll soon be looking at completely rebuilding the wheel as spoke failures will become more numerous at which point a full replacement is the best option.

And while you are at it- get the front wheel done aswell. If you just replace the one spoke that has broken- you might be getting more replaced shortly.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-17-10, 08:15 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Learn to replace a spoke. Take the cassette off (assumming rear drive side, see Park Tool's website for instructions). Remove spoke. Lace in new spoke (noting the pattern of how the other spokes are laced.

Screw into nipple. Tighten until the tension of the spoke is equal to the tension of the other spokes, and the rim is true.

$25 worth of tools, and 1/2 hour poking around Parktool's website,and you won't have to worry about not being able to cope with a broken spoke again.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-17-10, 08:32 AM
Quel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On a 32 spoke wheel, you're probably okay for awhile, but I wouldn't ride it unless I really had to.

A broken spoke is one of the few things I actually take my bike to the LBS for. It happens so infrequently that it would be more of a pain to keep extra spokes on hand. Last time I think it took 30 minutes and cost $13-15.
Old 02-17-10, 09:17 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
I'll admit I would likely use a shop as well, mostly because I'm lazy, and also because I trust a good wheel builder to a better job getting the tension right.

However, if you're going to ride where shops aren't always around or open, or go out of town on multi day trips, its a good idea to be capable of doing it yourself.

As a matter of practice, when I get a new wheel set, I also get 3 spokes, front, rear drive side,and rear non drive side, and toss them in the tool box. Cheap insurance.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-17-10, 09:26 AM
Cactuskid
Ride on!

Bikes: 2013 TARMAC Expert, 2011 specialized roubaix SL3, 2012 Raleigh Rush hour FIXIE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sirious94
well chances are they will want to true the whole wheel, so probably around 60 bucks, but you can ask for the spoke, put it on, and true it yourself if you have a spoke tool handy.
WOW....you pay 60 bucks for that? I had new spoke installed and true wheel for 20..60 is a RIPOFF
Old 02-17-10, 09:35 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
A true wheel isn't necessarily a properly tensioned wheel. The latter is far more important for the longevity of the wheel than the former which is only really an issue for braking. A simple spoke replacement and truing, which involves nothing more than tightening the replaced spoke until the wheel straightens out is a 15 minute job, max. Using a tension meter to check each and every spoke, adjust for tension, then adjust for true, then recheck for tension, etc., etc. is a far more involved job but if you are breaking spokes, it's my opinion that you should have it done sooner than later. Spoke breakage is made out to be something far more acceptable than it should be presumably because of the prevelance of machine built wheels with horribly uneven tension. That's part of the value of a hand built wheel; the builder has taken the time to adjust both true and tension (and tensioning at the appropriate level) which yields a very durable wheel.