Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Who here has Campagnolo Shamal wheels?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 07-06-14, 02:44 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts

How do you like them? I usually am not much for heavier(?) “aero” rims, but can you please tell me how you think they ride?

I have been waffling about what to do for wheels on my Cinelli Pista for quite awhile now. When I first got this frame I was bound & determined that I was going to put Shamals on it. For the full-blown Italophile build that I gotta have...what could be more fitting, amiright? But I kept missing out on any decent deal on them & my innate thriftiness wouldn’t let me just throw a buttload of money at a set, so I revised my wants.

Shifted my sights to some old-school box section Campag rims, ala Omegas or Lambdas, to go with low flange Record rear track hub & whatever group front road hub which are easy to get. I figured with modern butted spokes it would make for a pretty good all-around wheelset that fit my Italo-centric desires close enough. But I got involved in other projects & let it slide.

Now…after a few more adjustments. I am going to ride my bike, with Jap wheels & sundry other bastard parts on an ultra-distance charity challenge ride next weekend. Then nothing will stop my quest for the perfect wheelset for my perfect(?) bike

Guess what? Now a pretty nice set of road Shamals, at a very decent price, is there for the taking. But that means I’ll have to come up with a 16h rear track hub, which is difficult but not impossible…

Should I jump on those suckas?
Old 07-06-14, 04:13 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,125 Times in 425 Posts
visit the c&v forum. theres a few guys over there that have the shamals.
Old 07-06-14, 04:16 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
My favorite wheels. I have amassed a couple here and there and looks can be quite deceiving.

They are quite light despite being high profile and durable staying quite true despite having lower spoke count; even the 12 spoke version! (assuming you're of reasonable weight)

What you should be weary of, assuming you plan to mate said shamals on your cinelli is the rarity of track sets (a proper track rear has alluded me to this very day) and the cost of converting a rear into track with its uncommon spoke count.
Spokes are not much of a problem besides doing it right with pricier bladed spokes as the nipple assembly for them is 2 part, a standard nipple and a reusable square washer that are already there.

Considering they're loose ball hubs, the first thing you should do when you get them is repack them as the hubs are highly susceptible to pitting and cost an arm and leg to replace to original.

~~Also, before you buy them, be sure to look for cracks around the hole for the valve stem and where the spokes meet the rim. One of the common problems with these resulting from age & wear & tear.
Old 07-15-14, 07:02 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
My favorite wheels. I have amassed a couple here and there and looks can be quite deceiving.

They are quite light despite being high profile and durable staying quite true despite having lower spoke count; even the 12 spoke version! (assuming you're of reasonable weight)

What you should be weary of, assuming you plan to mate said shamals on your cinelli is the rarity of track sets (a proper track rear has alluded me to this very day) and the cost of converting a rear into track with its uncommon spoke count.
Spokes are not much of a problem besides doing it right with pricier bladed spokes as the nipple assembly for them is 2 part, a standard nipple and a reusable square washer that are already there.

Considering they're loose ball hubs, the first thing you should do when you get them is repack them as the hubs are highly susceptible to pitting and cost an arm and leg to replace to original.

~~Also, before you buy them, be sure to look for cracks around the hole for the valve stem and where the spokes meet the rim. One of the common problems with these resulting from age & wear & tear.
Thanks for your response and all its useful info. I like road fronts & had in mind to convert the rear wheel with either a Miche (hard but not impossible to find) or custom Mack 16h track hub. But once again, other things have made me drop this idea.

However, if you really, really, would like a track Shamal wheelset for yourself, and don't mind toobies or paying up - there is a set that unfortunately is getting bid up already on fleabay that you should check out: Campagnolo Shamal Track Pista Very RARE Crankset Hubs | eBay
Old 07-15-14, 06:04 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Shamal

I believe operator has a set laced to Phil's.

This guy, 8 yr old thread. https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespee...ml#post4205759