Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

less aggressive or less extreme geometry?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-15, 01:06 PM
gt3racerich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts

Even though I only recently started riding again after a long while off it didn't take long for me to start looking at new bikes. It seems most manufacturers are making bikes one tier down from there top bike that has less aggressive or less extreme geometry. What exactly is different to make it such.
As I am getting older, I felt that my bike was a little to aggressive (that is how I would explain it but I really don't know what that means technically).
I turned the stem around to raise the handlebars and moved the seat forward a bit but I am wondering how a frame with different geometry would feel.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Rich
Old 10-13-15, 01:12 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Devil is going to be in the details. So hard to generalize, but I will any way.

"comfort" or endurance bikes tend to have taller head tubes, which make them easier to set up in a more up right riding position, which tends to be the biggest difference.

A number of such models will have various geometry changes that tend to make the bike more "stable", i.e. more wanting to track straight ahead, as opposed to quick to turn.

These can include shallower head tube angles, more trail, longer seat stays.

So in general the more comfort oriented bikes will tend to setup higher, and will not be as "twitchy"
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 10-13-15 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-13-15, 01:13 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
To sum it up into one word, comfort.
Old 10-13-15, 01:15 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Devil is going to be in the details. So hard to generalize, but I will any way.

"comfort" or endurance bikes tend to have taller head tubes, which make them easier to set up in a more up right riding position, which tends to be the biggest difference.

A number of such models
Longer wheelbase and room for bigger tires? But yeah, mostly the tall headtubes.
Old 10-13-15, 01:27 PM
inspclouseau

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Not that this was specifically asked, and I am far from an expert, if you started cycling again only recently I would work on becoming more flexible and regaining fitness. Your bike choice today may be far different in a couple of months.
Old 10-13-15, 01:38 PM
gt3racerich

What is the reason for a longer head tube? To get the handlebars higher or does it make the bike handle differently?
I am not really talking about a comfort or endurance bike per say, something like a Pinarello Gan witch they say is less aggressive then a dogma.
As far as a bike being twitchy, does anything other then wheelbase have an effect on that. It was a long time ago but I remember I was in between sizes when I got my bike and I went with the smaller size. IF I went with the larger size the bike would have been a little less twitchy, so would that have the same effect as moving to a less extreme geomitry?
Old 10-13-15, 01:42 PM
gt3racerich

Originally Posted by inspclouseau
Not that this was specifically asked, and I am far from an expert, if you started cycling again only recently I would work on becoming more flexible and regaining fitness. Your bike choice today may be far different in a couple of months.
You are 100% correct. I can already feel myself getting better. I just want to be informed and make the correct choice when I get the next bike.
Bikes have changed a lot. I hope you guys don't get tired of me as I'll have a bunch more questions in the future.
Old 10-13-15, 06:09 PM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gt3racerich
You are 100% correct. I can already feel myself getting better. I just want to be informed and make the correct choice when I get the next bike.
Bikes have changed a lot. I hope you guys don't get tired of me as I'll have a bunch more questions in the future.
I'm with you there. I don't live too far from you. Welcome.
Old 10-13-15, 07:34 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Gravel road/adventure bikes are based on the endurance road bikes and typically have taller head tubes, a frame geometry that sets up one for upright riding and they have room for wider tires for stability and added comfort.

A lot of people buy them because they want to ride both on pavement and off road and they want to have fun.

Unless you're intending to compete in the TdF, getting a lightweight bike that puts you in an aero position isn't what most people want out of a road bike.

That's why the increased choices in the market these days is a very good thing, indeed.