Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Canyon now officially selling in the US

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Canyon now officially selling in the US

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-17, 10:16 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnytheboy
i'm gonna get flamed, but that black bike up there is hideous. i'm sorry.
I concur.
Old 09-14-17, 10:24 AM
asiantrick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
it just needs tan side wall tires. White bar tape and white saddle. Now we're talking.
Old 09-14-17, 11:14 AM
tarmacgreg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Is Canyon okay with you returning used parts?
I called them today and explained the situation, they are fine with sending me a 100mm stem for free.
Old 09-14-17, 11:26 AM
Hisamatsu

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will Germany's Canyon Bicycles disrupt the American bike industry? - Business Insider

Their online business model seem kinda similar to Diamondback/Raleigh. I got a DB haanjo trail carbon this year for under 2k with corporate discount. Bike shipped fast, free returns, mostly assembled in box, good/fast tech support via phone or chat. Curious to see how it shakes up the retail bike industry.
Old 09-14-17, 11:38 AM
green123

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SLX 9 , Santa Cruz Blur cc, Canyon Inflite SLX 9

Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnytheboy
i'm gonna get flamed, but that black bike up there is hideous. i'm sorry.
no need to be sorry! I like it that way
Old 09-14-17, 02:53 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its a 90% built bike- the crankset almost certainly would have already been assembled to the frame and the stem would already be bolted to the steerer tube.
Its quite reasonable for someone to finish build up a bike and only after the fact realize that the wrong crankset and stem were sent. 100 vs 110 isnt really visible to many unless they have a ruler out and the crankset is already attached so its not like someone is looking specifically at it while installing.
Yes, it is conceivable this would be overlooked when assembling (hopefully frame size was correct ;-) ). But that wasn't really the point; I thought it a bit odd that greg did notice the issue (whenever in the process that he did) but was planning to go ride the bike anyway, before speaking with Canyon. Not typically how I'd recommend handling a situation that (given you're right and the crank is pre-installed) could require the whole bike to be boxed up and returned for a replacement.

Originally Posted by tarmacgreg
I called them today and explained the situation, they are fine with sending me a 100mm stem for free.
So you were good with the mid-compact crank that you got, rather than the 34/50 that the specs indicate this bike is supposed to have? I think this is the oddest part, and maybe the important take-away of this sideline discussion. Your bike model doesn't even seem to have a swap-out crank option, so it shipping with a crank that it isn't specced with, is pretty weird. Did Canyon address this in some manner (ie. how it could have happened)? I can't help wonder how many people actually would notice their crank was the wrong size before riding their bikes.
Old 09-14-17, 02:57 PM
tarmacgreg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yes, it is conceivable this would be overlooked when assembling (hopefully frame size was correct ;-) ). But that wasn't really the point; I thought it a bit odd that greg did notice the issue (whenever in the process that he did) but was planning to go ride the bike anyway, before speaking with Canyon. Not typically how I'd recommend handling a situation that (given you're right and the crank is pre-installed) could require the whole bike to be boxed up and returned for a replacement.

So you were good with the mid-compact crank that you got, rather than the 34/50 that the specs indicate this bike is supposed to have? I think this is the oddest part, and maybe the important take-away of this sideline discussion. Your bike model doesn't even seem to have a swap-out crank option, so it shipping with a crank that it isn't specced with, is pretty weird. Did Canyon address this in some manner (ie. how it could have happened)? I can't help wonder how many people actually would notice their crank was the wrong size before riding their bikes.
I didn't bring up the chainring size difference quite honestly because I prefer the 52/36. But I do agree it is odd.
Old 11-10-17, 09:45 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by green123
I got my bike last week and took a first ride today, like it a lot so far.
So a couple people disagree, but I love that murdered out black look. Are you liking the red E-tap? I am looking at getting a Canyon, but I keep changing my mind on which one I want. I called them up and sound like they are going to have a campy level bike hit the US in the next week so I am holding off until I see specs and pricing on that one.
Old 11-11-17, 11:07 AM
green123

Originally Posted by jitteringjr
So a couple people disagree, but I love that murdered out black look. Are you liking the red E-tap? I am looking at getting a Canyon, but I keep changing my mind on which one I want. I called them up and sound like they are going to have a campy level bike hit the US in the next week so I am holding off until I see specs and pricing on that one.
Ofc, tastes vary but I get compliments on mine everytime I ride.

Etap red works great, you forget it's there.
Old 11-12-17, 12:31 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ofc, tastes vary but I get compliments on mine everytime I ride.

Etap red works great, you forget it's there.
So is it the Endurace CF SLX disk 9.0 SL? How wide of a tire can it run? Could you put cross 32mm tires on it and run it as a gravel/cross bike for lighter duty applications?
Old 11-12-17, 12:40 PM
green123

So is it the Endurace CF SLX disk 9.0 SL? How wide of a tire can it run? Could you put cross 32mm tires on it and run it as a gravel/cross bike for lighter duty applications?
Yes, it can take a 33mm tire according to this article.
https://granfondo-cycling.com/exclusive-review-canyon-endurace-cf-slx-9-0/
Old 11-12-17, 01:55 PM
jitteringjr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, it can take a 33mm tire according to this article.
Exclusive Review: Canyon Endurace CF SLX 9.0 | GRAN FONDO Cycling Magazine
Cool review thanks for posting it
Old 11-14-17, 03:05 PM
tomazo

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A while ago GCN did a video about canyon endurace wth cross tires on.

Old 11-14-17, 08:35 PM
jitteringjr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tomazo
A while ago GCN did a video about canyon endurace wth cross tires on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zhkU1x0HdM
Funny thing is I am pretty sure I watched that when it came out but forgot they used a Canyon for the example. I wasn’t in the market for a bike then so I didn’t pay that close attention. I used to own a 2001 Trek xo1 that came with 32C tires but I can see them being a little narrow by today’s standards. The other big hang up in the video was trying to use road shoes and pedals for cyclocross. However I would be using it more for gravel and general commuting so not as big of a deal for me. Still I think I would be better off throwing my good components off my wrecked road frame onto a $500 Surley proper cross frame then add some cantilever brakes and some Candy eggbeaters like my MTB. Then buy a Canyon for just road duty.
Old 11-17-17, 11:39 AM
jitteringjr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Still I think I would be better off throwing my good components off my wrecked road frame onto a $500 Surley proper cross frame then add some cantilever brakes and some Candy eggbeaters like my MTB. Then buy a Canyon for just road duty.
Well this is what I am going to do. Ordered the Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 last night and I am going to stop buy the LBS to grab a cross check frame in the next week or two to use the parts of the Bianchi for a second bike.

I am going with the all black murdered out theme like green123's Endurace that some don't like on this thread, but I do like it. Truth be told, if it was available in a pure stage race blue with white decals like in the Ultimate CF SL disk 8, I would have picked that, but I'd rather have all black than red
Old 11-17-17, 01:14 PM
green123

Congrats!!!
Make sure you get the Garmin or Wahoo adaptor as well, since the oval handlebars won't work with the regular round mounts.
Old 11-17-17, 02:20 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Well this is what I am going to do. Ordered the Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 last night and I am going to stop buy the LBS to grab a cross check frame in the next week or two to use the parts of the Bianchi for a second bike.

I am going with the all black murdered out theme like green123's Endurace that some don't like on this thread, but I do like it. Truth be told, if it was available in a pure stage race blue with white decals like in the Ultimate CF SL disk 8, I would have picked that, but I'd rather have all black than red
OOO let us know how you like the aeroad when you get it. I've been eyeing one as well.
Old 11-17-17, 02:31 PM
jitteringjr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
OOO let us know how you like the aeroad when you get it. I've been eyeing one as well.
Tracking is showing a delivery of Wednesday evening so I'll probably have it put together ready to ride that night, but then we are going out of town for the long 4 day weekend so I'm not going to get a chance to ride it until Monday after turkey day probably
Old 11-22-17, 06:32 PM
jitteringjr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So my Aeroad arrived a day early on Tuesday first thing in the morning so that is only 2 full business days from order to delivery. So I am impressed with Canyon there. I imagine Fedex was in the act of transportation over the weekend but still items I have ordered from places in CA to CO like Newegg for instance have taken longer over the same days.

Basic setup of the bike out of the box was super easy and quick. I think it took about 10 minutes. It almost took longer to carefully take off the cassette dork ring off than it took to put together.

Here is the first picture of the bike with only very basic fit/set up. Notice the slow castration position of the saddle? This brings me to one and two of the three gripes I have with Canyon. Now these are actually very minor gripes, but worth mentioning to people looking at getting one of these.

First, the manual is a generic manual covering some of but not all possibilities in Canyon’s line up. Honestly the manual looks like it’s been recycled for years and they just slap the current year on the cover. My S27 post is not mentioned at all in the manual so there is no help with the saddle tilt.

Second is the fact is that the saddle angle was jammed/glued essentially in that angle. The assembly consists of an Allen bolt and nut sandwiching the two inner rail clamps, two outer rail clamps, and seat post onto the saddle rails. The inner rail clamps were locked into the seat post and could not be moved at all. I called Canyon support and they confirmed what I pretty much knew what I needed to do but wanted verification. I took a mallet and an Allen key and beat them out of the seat post and it took some kind of scary healthy blows. The rail clamp cups were slathered in fiber grip and essentially glued in place. I am OK with Canyon putting the fiber grip on there but they need to mention this in the manual and for Pete’s sake send it off to the customer level at least to start.

Here are some cool design features of the seat post. The clamp in the picture

This basically compresses the seat post in place. It sits on a metal plate in the top tube at the base of the seat post.

Also I love the height markings on the seat post.

Over the years my Bianchi saddle height kept slipping down and even if I put tape where the height was supposed to be, it got smashed down and was no help putting it back right.

Also from this picture,

You can reverse the set back of the saddle from 15mm to -1mm by changing the clamps around. This is in the forward position not where I have it set up now BTW. I guess this is for those wanting to add clamp on aero bars to get into a more aero position? Canyon told me that profile designs is going to put out a set of aero bars that clamp onto the H11 cockpit FYI

Here is the final small issue. Canyon USA doesn’t allow you to do any customization. I am in between S and M sizes but going to a small meant getting a 170mm crank instead of the 172.5 length I have ridden for decades. Also the bar width would be 3cm more narrow than the 42cm I am used to. The M size at least keeps that at 41 cm. My old Bianchi had a 55cm top tube with a 11cm stem. A medium keeps the overall length the same using 56 and 10 where as a small would be 2cm shorter with 55 and 90. Sounds like people in the EU and UK can specify their stem lengths and Canyon is talking about opening that up in the US according to their sales guy.

Also I am more of a Chameleon than a snake according to Fizik's concepts so I would have liked to swap out the saddle for the Antares saddle that comes with the ultimate level bikes than the Arione. Jury is still out on the Arione, but I will most likely be putting a Specialized Phenom pro on this bike like what was on the old Bianchi.

Anyhow this going to a medium puts my saddle height very close to the minimum on the scale on the back of the seat post. And forget about using the supplied torque wrench with the saddle still on the seat post at minimum height as shown in the picture.

I did the basic fitting on the trainer and got it dialed in and took it out for the maiden voyage. Now the reason I bought this is because I crashed the Bianchi and cracked the top tube and broke 4 ribs spending 2 days in the hospital. This was 23 days ago and taking deep breaths still hurts like a fother mucker. Despite this, I still had my 2nd fastest ride only .3 mph slower than my PR on the course I rode on. Plus there was a 13mph wind today according to weather channel where as the PR set set on a perfectly calm day.

Shifting is spot on. Overall I am very happy with the whole experience despite the 3 minor gripes and I would not hesitate to buy another Canyon

Also I forgot to mention but weight using the highly scientific method of standing on the digital bathroom scale with bike and subtracting my weight came in at exactly 16#(7.25kg) with the two Elite cages and Look Keo 2 max pedals.

Last edited by jitteringjr; 11-22-17 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-22-17, 06:54 PM
green123

Thanks for the write up! First , your bike is stunning, congrats!!!

I had similar minor gripes with the Canyon manual differing from the actual thing, but the customer support made up for it. Wish we could have a choice in crank arm length as well.
Old 11-22-17, 09:12 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Stunning bike! Congrats!
Old 11-23-17, 08:39 PM
gt3racerich

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts
I would love to get an Aeroad but am wondering if it would be a mistake and I should get an Ultimate.
I am 59 yrs old and started riding again after 10+ years off. I am riding a 2000 Litespeed Palmares. When I first got back to riding it was killing my neck and back and I was going to purchase an Endurace. I made some tweaks to my bike and really improved quickly. I am riding 60 miles (about 25 miles of hills) with only minimal pain. I moved on from wanting an Endurace to the Ultimate but as I said, I would really love an Aeroad.
When I look at the geometry, my Litespeed is actually more aggressive then the Ultimate and even the Aeroad. They did not have reach and stack numbers in 2000 so I estimated fairly closely.
The reach on the Aeroad is less then my bike but the stack is less as well. I am at the small end for needing an XS so the stack would not be so extreme? I don't know if I am missing something or an Aero bike would have more things to consider?
Sorry for the long post but look forward to any thoughts. I know Canyon offers a 30 day exchange but would rather order the right bike to begin with.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 11-23-17, 10:06 PM
jitteringjr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gt3racerich
I would love to get an Aeroad but am wondering if it would be a mistake and I should get an Ultimate.
I am 59 yrs old and started riding again after 10+ years off. I am riding a 2000 Litespeed Palmares. When I first got back to riding it was killing my neck and back and I was going to purchase an Endurace. I made some tweaks to my bike and really improved quickly. I am riding 60 miles (about 25 miles of hills) with only minimal pain. I moved on from wanting an Endurace to the Ultimate but as I said, I would really love an Aeroad.
When I look at the geometry, my Litespeed is actually more aggressive then the Ultimate and even the Aeroad. They did not have reach and stack numbers in 2000 so I estimated fairly closely.
The reach on the Aeroad is less then my bike but the stack is less as well. I am at the small end for needing an XS so the stack would not be so extreme? I don't know if I am missing something or an Aero bike would have more things to consider?
Sorry for the long post but look forward to any thoughts. I know Canyon offers a 30 day exchange but would rather order the right bike to begin with.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
I saw a YouTube video where I guy, I think his handle was ‘sickbiker’, used photoshop layers to superimpose the Aeroad, Ultimate and Endurace on top of each other so he could quickly swap between the differences in geometry and I remember thinking the differences were not that significant. If you aren’t fully sure, I would suggest picking an Aeroad model that comes with a separate stem and bar combo and not the integrated H11 one. That way you easily change the stem to give you more raise or less reach without having to spend a lot more on bars too. Also FYI the Aeroad comes with 27.5mm or just over an inch of stem spacers to slam or not the stem.

Another thing you may want to look at is the reach of the handlebars themselves. My older ones had about 2cm more reach than the H11s have so I am a little more up right when riding on the hoods and in the drops.

Edit I found the Video it wasn't sickbiker; it was Bikotic

Last edited by jitteringjr; 11-24-17 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-24-17, 03:35 PM
gt3racerich

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks for the reply and thanks for taking the time to find the video. He makes some interesting points. When he shows the seat on the Aeroad being the farthest back the numbers do not show that. For an XS frame the Aeroad has a top tube of 527 (the same as an Endurace?) and a reach of 376. An XS Utimate has a top tube of 529 and a reach of 378.
For what it is worth, unless I am measuring wrong, the bike I am riding has a top tube of 525 but a reach of 390?
I will ask this question in a separate thread so I don't clog this Canyon specific thread with all these geometry questions. Thanks again.
Old 11-28-17, 08:42 PM
jitteringjr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just an FYI, for the Aeroad, the Arione R5 and thus S27 seat post comes with clamps for 7mm rails and is not compatible with the 7x9 carbon braided rail seats. Canyon told me they expect the larger clamps in stock in a month and will cost about $40.

I decided to swap it out with a Specialized power arc pro to keep the smaller rails and because I have good luck with the MTB Phenom saddle from them. This feels almost the same except the cutout is larger thus keeping it more comfortable in the drops than the Phenom. Both are more comfortable than the flat Arione R5. I wish the LBS had the open or Versus models from Fizik, but they didn’t. So it might be sacrilegious putting a spec saddle on a canyon but that’s how I am going to play it for now.

Last edited by jitteringjr; 11-28-17 at 09:49 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.