Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on SRAM Red 22 please.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-15-18, 07:06 AM
gt3racerich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts

I really did not want to build a bike but I am not finding what I want from stock builds.
Thought about Etap but did not want to spend that much and I really did not want to go electronic.
A couple of days ago I tested a 3T Strada with Sram Force 1 and I really liked it so I started looking more into Sram. When I saw that Sram Red 22 was reasonably priced and very light I started thinking seriously about it and about building the bike I want. I have not built a bike for 18yrs so I am not really familiar with Sram.
I would love to hear anything, pros and cons, about Sram Red 22 groupset with discs.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-18, 07:21 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Old 05-15-18, 07:29 AM
gt3racerich

Originally Posted by noodle soup

I guess that is not a good sign?
Old 05-15-18, 07:37 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
It's just how these conversations usually end up, no matter which groupset someone asks about.

I've been very happy with my Red 22, in it's third year of usage. Zero problems so far, minimal adjustments to keep it tuned. Can't comment on the disk combo though.
Old 05-15-18, 08:01 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I have no brand loyalty. I have Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo on different bikes. They are all good. SRAM is the lightest( I think), Campagnolo seem to elicit oohs and aahs from "Italian" purists on my Italian brand bikes. Shimano is very common. They have differing ways of shifting and aesthetics, but I have had no issues with function. You should be hard pressed to find cons on any unless you really go looking for them. Some will argue just for the sake of arguing.
Old 05-15-18, 09:21 AM
noodle soup

Cheap, light, durable, pick 2.
Old 05-15-18, 09:25 AM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
I have no brand loyalty. I have Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo on different bikes. They are all good. SRAM is the lightest( I think), Campagnolo seem to elicit oohs and aahs from "Italian" purists on my Italian brand bikes. Shimano is very common. They have differing ways of shifting and aesthetics, but I have had no issues with function. You should be hard pressed to find cons on any unless you really go looking for them. Some will argue just for the sake of arguing.
I think pretty much says it all. But I'll add my experience. I've used Red 22 non-disk for about 15k miles. No issues other than routine maintenance items - chain & cassette. I also changed rear cable just as preventative. I imagine if I had Dura Ace, it would have functioned just as well. Slight differences - yes. Do they all work - yes.
Old 05-15-18, 09:32 AM
noodle soup

Old 05-15-18, 12:12 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Guess it must be light and durable then.
Don't think you could say Red 22 is cheap, even if he can find a deal on it somewhere.
Old 05-15-18, 12:18 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Dean V
Guess it must be light and durable then.
Don't think you could say Red 22 is cheap, even if he can find a deal on it somewhere.
It certainly isn't durable.
Old 05-15-18, 01:47 PM
gt3racerich

Could you elaborate please.
Old 05-15-18, 02:06 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Interesting. Please elaborate.Do you have data to back this claim? A sample size to quantify "durable" or its lack thereof?

Last edited by tagaproject6; 05-15-18 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-15-18, 02:09 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
I built up a hydro disk brake bike this winter with a mixture of SRAM Force 22 and Red 22. I was going to go with all Red, but realized that, with the exception of the cranks, the weight and performance differences between Red and Force components is marginal. Half the weight difference between Red and Force is in the cranks. So for half the cost, I built up the bike with a Force 22 group and Red cranks.

For what its worth, I am completely happy with it. I have put about 1000 miles on it thus far with no complaints. The much maligned SRAM YAW front derailleur works flawlessly for me even though I eyeballed the alignment without even reading the instructions when installing.

The only thing I can complain about it the squarish shape of the fluid reservoir at the top of the hoods....it could be rounder and a bit more ergonomic. It doesn't bother me all that much when riding...I just think it looks clumsy.

Also, for what its worth, I have an older bike built up with original Red group (with Force FD) that is still perfectly functional. It performed flawlessly for 10 years.

Last edited by mihlbach; 05-15-18 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-15-18, 05:49 PM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
Also, for what its worth, I have an older bike built up with original Red group (with Force FD) that is still perfectly functional. It performed flawlessly for 10 years.
I specifically looked for a bike with a Red group after spending 7 years on a bike I upgraded to a Rival group. That Rival was flawless and I've moved it to two backup bikes since aquiring my Red 22 equiped bike.
Old 05-15-18, 06:12 PM
bleui

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
5 years on my SRAM Red & 8 years on Force never have any issues
please remind me when will it explode?
Old 05-15-18, 06:52 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by bleui
5 years on my SRAM Red & 8 years on Force never have any issues
please remind me when will it explode?
2 bikes, compared to the thousand or more that I've worked on.

I'm glad you are happy.
Old 05-15-18, 07:35 PM
tagaproject6

2 bikes, compared to the thousand or more that I've worked on.

I'm glad you are happy.
I was hoping for real data, so that folks new to the game may make a decision based on facts and not "2 bikes" of a claimed "thousand" bikes.

Old 05-15-18, 07:49 PM
noodle soup

I was hoping for real data, so that folks new to the game may make a decision based on facts and not "2 bikes" of a claimed "thousand" bikes.
Sorry to disappoint you, but do you think mechanics actually keep a written tally of the the repairs they do?

Buy SRAM if you want to, I'll be here to say "I told you so" later. There is plenty of information available, if you know how to use Google.
Old 05-15-18, 08:31 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Another happy sram user here.
Old 05-15-18, 08:48 PM
noodle soup

I guess SRAM never fails.
Old 05-16-18, 08:12 AM
tagaproject6

Sorry to disappoint you, but do you think mechanics actually keep a written tally of the the repairs they do?

Buy SRAM if you want to, I'll be here to say "I told you so" later. There is plenty of information available, if you know how to use Google.
Incorrect. The burden of proof lies with someone who is making the claim and is not upon anyone else to disprove. You made the claim, you provide proof, shifting that burden to other than yourself by telling them to use Google is weak. No one here is asking permission to buy SRAM and you will not get the satisfaction of saying "I told you so", since it is a pathetic attempt at diverting the issue of you not having real and compelling evidence to back up your claim.
I get that you were hurt by SRAM at some point and were disappointed, but that is YOUR experience and your emotional responses are hardly proof of anything.
No disappointment here, just verification that you have zero credibility. Thanks for playing.

Last edited by tagaproject6; 05-16-18 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-16-18, 08:29 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Would be great if it came with a Shimano FD.
Old 05-16-18, 08:30 AM
noodle soup

Incorrect. The burden of proof lies with someone who is making the claim and is not upon anyone else to disprove. You made the claim, you provide proof, shifting that burden to other than yourself by telling them to use Google is weak. No one here is asking permission to buy SRAM and you will not get the satisfaction of saying "I told you so", since it is a pathetic attempt at diverting the issue of you not having real and compelling evidence to back up your claim.
I get that you were hurt by SRAM at some point and were disappointed, but that is YOUR experience and your emotional responses are hardly proof of anything.
No disappointment here, just verification that you have zero credibility. Thanks for playing.
The Op asked if there are any problems with SRAM red. There have been plenty of issues.

let me google that for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sram+red+problems+bikeforums.net+site:www.bikeforums.net&num=30&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS721US721&sa =X&ved=0ahUKEwjpyOvDuIrbAhUm9IMKHZjkAncQrQIINCgEMAA&biw=1920&bih=925

Last edited by noodle soup; 05-16-18 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-16-18, 08:35 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Would be great if it came with a Shimano FD.
Exactly. SRAM can't get front shifting to work right, so their solution is to push a 1x groupset on their fanboys.
Old 05-16-18, 08:56 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Check the thread title. Somebody is asking for thoughts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.