Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on the new Orbed Orca OMX?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-19, 02:04 PM
gt3racerich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts

That should have been "Orbea", I can't edit the title.
While I have known about them, they ate not a brand that I have ever seen either while out riding or in a store.
Just wondering what everyone thinks, good or bad.
Old 09-12-19, 05:02 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by gt3racerich
That should have been "Orbea", I can't edit the title.
While I have known about them, they ate not a brand that I have ever seen either while out riding or in a store.
Just wondering what everyone thinks, good or bad.
Looked it up... looks great on paper, except the starting price of $5K
Old 09-12-19, 08:38 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
I had a 2018 OMR and thought it was fantastic bike (insanely responsive, smooth ride, and great handling), and it looks like the changes only make it better.
I do agree with Sy tho, pricing is a little high...$6k for Ultegra Di2 and not-so-great wheels, is a pretty unfortunate. But, the grey/red colorway is one of the slickest paints schemes I've ever seen...if I was in the market for a new bike, I'd get it in a heartbeat.

I do think Orbea is an extremely underrated brand
Old 09-13-19, 04:29 PM
gt3racerich

I thought the pricing was in line with some others I was looking at, and cheaper then some. I love the customization, both paint and components. I would like to at least sit on one as I am right in the middle of two sizes, but not many shops carry the brand and even fewer have stock.
You can upgrade the wheels to Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon DB CL/UST for $495. Any thoughts on those wheels?
Old 09-13-19, 06:25 PM
melikebikey35

I thought the pricing was in line with some others I was looking at, and cheaper then some. I love the customization, both paint and components. I would like to at least sit on one as I am right in the middle of two sizes, but not many shops carry the brand and even fewer have stock.
You can upgrade the wheels to Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon DB CL/UST for $495. Any thoughts on those wheels?
The pricing definitely is outrageous, but the previous generation was a better value...and as I already mentioned, if I didn't just buy an R3, I would have ordered one the day it was released.
I'm not familiar with the Mavic, but personally, I'd skip them. Mainly because I prefer a deeper wheel.

Sizing wise, I fell right in the middle of the 51 and 53, and went for the 51...which ended up being a mistake. The reach was perfect, but the stack was too low, and after about a year my hips couldn't handle the massive saddle-handlebar drop any longer...but, I also have very long legs compared to my torso, which makes bike fitting a bit of a challenge for me. If you are more proportionally balanced, you'd probably be fine with either size...what are the specs of your current bike?
Old 09-14-19, 11:10 AM
gt3racerich

Originally Posted by melikebikey35
The pricing definitely is outrageous, but the previous generation was a better value...and as I already mentioned, if I didn't just buy an R3, I would have ordered one the day it was released.
I'm not familiar with the Mavic, but personally, I'd skip them. Mainly because I prefer a deeper wheel.

Sizing wise, I fell right in the middle of the 51 and 53, and went for the 51...which ended up being a mistake. The reach was perfect, but the stack was too low, and after about a year my hips couldn't handle the massive saddle-handlebar drop any longer...but, I also have very long legs compared to my torso, which makes bike fitting a bit of a challenge for me. If you are more proportionally balanced, you'd probably be fine with either size...what are the specs of your current bike?
I am currently riding a 51cm Litespeed Palmares from 2000. I ride it with no problem but I don't want to go any more aggressive .

The reach and stack numbers for a 49cm Orca are pretty close, actually both numbers are just a bit less aggressive then the Palmares. Back in 2000 they did not have reach and stack numbers so I calculated them myself and I worry that they may be off.

Whenever I try a bike in a store I always feel that the reach is to long (various brands). They never have a smaller size to try. I have the same concern you mention about stack with the smaller size. If I knew my calculations were correct then it wouldn't be an issue.

I think the pricing on all bikes is outrageous. Curious what you would consider comparable at a better price? I am thinking about this:

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles...orca-m21-ltd-d
Old 09-14-19, 12:09 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts

I think the pricing on all bikes is outrageous. Curious what you would consider comparable at a better price? I am thinking about this:

maybe not exactly comparable, but you got a good amount of money leftover to tweak the build.

883 Aero Disc Ultegra Di2
Old 09-14-19, 12:37 PM
melikebikey35

I am currently riding a 51cm Litespeed Palmares from 2000. I ride it with no problem but I don't want to go any more aggressive .

The reach and stack numbers for a 49cm Orca are pretty close, actually both numbers are just a bit less aggressive then the Palmares. Back in 2000 they did not have reach and stack numbers so I calculated them myself and I worry that they may be off.

Whenever I try a bike in a store I always feel that the reach is to long (various brands). They never have a smaller size to try. I have the same concern you mention about stack with the smaller size. If I knew my calculations were correct then it wouldn't be an issue.

Sizing will be a little tricky for you, coming from an older bike like that since geometry has changed so much. I'd recommend trying to find a brand locally that has similar measurements to the Orca, that you could test ride. That should give you a very good idea about what stack/reach works for you. Effective top tube is another measurement that you could fall back on, and is a lot easier to measure correctly than reach or stack.

Pricing wise, I think I'm just in the same boat as you...it's just all getting outrageous.
But comparatively speaking, you could get a Cerveol R3 or Tarmac with ultegra di2 for $5,500. Or the Tarmac Pro (with eTap AXS) for $6700, but you also get much nicer wheels.

Really, I think it's just me comparing it to the pricing on the OMR version, that has me thinking it's a little overpriced. The OMR with ultegra di2 is $1700 cheaper than the new OMX and I find it hard to believe that the frame/wheels are THAT much of an upgrade to warrant the price increase. I'd prefer they offered the OMX with super basic wheels, and charged less, since I always switch them out anyways.
Old 09-14-19, 12:41 PM
gt3racerich

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
maybe not exactly comparable, but you got a good amount of money leftover to tweak the build.

883 Aero Disc Ultegra Di2
I don't know anything about the brand but that looks like a great price. Not exactly what I am looking for and I don't know if they ship to the USA.
I appreciate the info.
Old 09-14-19, 12:59 PM
gt3racerich

Sizing will be a little tricky for you, coming from an older bike like that since geometry has changed so much. I'd recommend trying to find a brand locally that has similar measurements to the Orca, that you could test ride. That should give you a very good idea about what stack/reach works for you. Effective top tube is another measurement that you could fall back on, and is a lot easier to measure correctly than reach or stack.

Pricing wise, I think I'm just in the same boat as you...it's just all getting outrageous.
But comparatively speaking, you could get a Cerveol R3 or Tarmac with ultegra di2 for $5,500. Or the Tarmac Pro (with eTap AXS) for $6700, but you also get much nicer wheels.

Really, I think it's just me comparing it to the pricing on the OMR version, that has me thinking it's a little overpriced. The OMR with ultegra di2 is $1700 cheaper than the new OMX and I find it hard to believe that the frame/wheels are THAT much of an upgrade to warrant the price increase. I'd prefer they offered the OMX with super basic wheels, and charged less, since I always switch them out anyways.
I had all day today to try and find a small bike to try but something came up, and judging by past attempts I don't think I will have much luck. A Tarmac is something I was hoping to try. The Orca has a 523.2cm top tube and I come up with 52.8 for my bike. I measured that center of seat tube to center of head tube, I believe that is the standard way to measure? I may be wrong but just looking at photos of newer bikes it seems that without any spacers it looks like the stack is close to my bike with the spacers. That leaves some room for error in regard to stack numbers.

I really like the bike for many reasons and it is worth it to me to pay a little more for what I want. I am still open to other bikes however.

I appreciate all your time and info.
Old 09-14-19, 01:36 PM
melikebikey35

I had all day today to try and find a small bike to try but something came up, and judging by past attempts I don't think I will have much luck. A Tarmac is something I was hoping to try. The Orca has a 523.2cm top tube and I come up with 52.8 for my bike. I measured that center of seat tube to center of head tube, I believe that is the standard way to measure? I may be wrong but just looking at photos of newer bikes it seems that without any spacers it looks like the stack is close to my bike with the spacers. That leaves some room for error in regard to stack numbers.

I really like the bike for many reasons and it is worth it to me to pay a little more for what I want. I am still open to other bikes however.

I test rode the Tarmac Pro and didn't care for it much. If you like the Orca, definitely go for it. As I mentioned already, I loved my mine and would have already order a new one if I didn't just get a new bike. Yes, it is a little pricier than I think it should be, but not so much that it would stop me haha.

If the ETT numbers are close then I'm sure the 49 will fit just fine. Another thing you could do to help with figuring out the stack, is measure from the ground to the top of the head tube on your Litespeed, then compare that number to the BB height + stack of the Orca.
Old 09-14-19, 01:57 PM
gt3racerich

I test rode the Tarmac Pro and didn't care for it much. If you like the Orca, definitely go for it. As I mentioned already, I loved my mine and would have already order a new one if I didn't just get a new bike. Yes, it is a little pricier than I think it should be, but not so much that it would stop me haha.

If the ETT numbers are close then I'm sure the 49 will fit just fine. Another thing you could do to help with figuring out the stack, is measure from the ground to the top of the head tube on your Litespeed, then compare that number to the BB height + stack of the Orca.
Thank you, that is a good tip (measuring from the ground), I will do that shortly.
I just looked at the geometry of the Tarmac and it is very similar. I will try to find a 49 locally to try.
Old 09-14-19, 07:03 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts

reach and stack should be the only absolute measurements for comparing bike fit, two bikes with the same toptube measurement can have different reach due to seattube angle and headtube angle