Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Texting & Driving

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Texting & Driving

Old 08-30-16, 09:21 AM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Whenever I make the suggestion of a non-defeatable driving mode for cell-phones on other forums, the response is always swift, and goes like this: "what about the passengers?!" Presently cell-phones can't tell if you are the driver or a passenger, so no one in a moving vehicle is capable of texting out of it.

It's not "non-defeatable" but my Windows phone determines that you are driving when you connect to a Bluetooth device that you specify. In my case it's the car's built-in Bluetooth so it works well. If people want to text when driving I expect they will find a way to do so but there are ways to make it easier not to.
Old 08-30-16, 09:27 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of somewhat high-ish technological solution offered
Perhaps disabling all cell phones in cars-might be tricky
12 months or so ago I was hit by a car - luckily it was a spring loaded mirror-
I was well off the road-3 feet off onto the shoulder
Sure enough driver said "I'm sorry I didn't see you"
8:30 am broad daylight-weekend low traffic 45 mph 4 lane hy
I FRAP still FRAP but now I FRAP even farther right and I ride faster on my way to the levee

Funny I didn't really feel much impact-just heard a LOUD noise-WAPPPP-and felt a push to the side-into a nice heavily grassed ditch-right between two poles-
the most memorable thing-as I went down-was watching the plastic mirror cover skitter down the shoulder-right next to his car which was still 2 feet onto the shoulder
yeah the plastic cover sorta puzzled me at the time "what the hell is that"
it was so quick I really didn't know what had happened for a couple of seconds
Once i touched down-i was really surprised to find myself uninjured-
Of course driver-young guy-30 or so-must have been texting-no other explanation-8:30 am bright clear day

to bad there isn't any practical way to scramble cell phones- in a running cars

Last edited by phoebeisis; 08-30-16 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-30-16, 09:49 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
More deaths despite MUCH safer cars-they must be wandering over the middle line-offset head on crashes are pretty deadly
Maybe insurance companies should offer discounts for allowing in car cameras to monitor cell phone use
if you don't allow it-jack your rates up-
to bad there isn't any practical way to scramble cell phones- in a running cars
More deaths despite MUCH safer cars = people driving WAY more miles, in cars that haven't really changed all that much in decades. They only seemed safer because people had been steadily driving fewer miles because of high gas prices. Now gas is cheap again and people are back in their cars. Seems to me that the fix for all this is some EU type taxation of gasoline here in America. $10/gal. regular unleaded would do more ti curb driver, pedestrian and cyclist fatalities than anything Apple, Microsoft or Google could come up with on their own...
Old 08-30-16, 10:24 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You are right-Gasoline-oil is too cheap.
In fact the too cheap oil is tanking our domestic oil business(in Louisiana it has killed our state economy)
Our Saudi "ally" has intentionally kept their production up to
1)Screw Iran-their traditional Persian enemy-low prices mean Iran has less $$
2)Screw Russia because Russia is an ally of Syria-and Al Assad is an Alewite(shia sect)
3)Screw our domestic oil production so we will close in wells-which won't reopen until oil is very high
once the oil spike happens again we will be dependent on the Saudis-we-USA-
were/are almost independent of "not North American" oil
so yeah we would be better off with $110-$120 oil- $3.50-$3.75 gas-perhaps put increased tax revenue toward infrastructure
and to wind power
We-USA- have the most harvestable wind "potential" more than China more than Russia more than Brazil-we have LOTS of coastline NEAR big population centers-
and we have LOTS of inland wind potential in areas with not many people to ***** about the towers(TX OK etc)

Anyway-you are right-oil gasoline-is too cheap
Old 08-30-16, 11:02 AM
ItsJustMe
Seńior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
Windows phones and Blackberries will also do that and I expect Android also.
Android dictation kind of spanks Siri. Siri is really bad at voice recognition in comparison.

I hear that they recently upgraded Siri and it's almost as good as Android.

For any of the solutions, you still want to read what it put because sometimes voice recognition goes seriously off the rails.
Old 08-30-16, 01:17 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
It's not "non-defeatable" but my Windows phone determines that you are driving when you connect to a Bluetooth device that you specify. In my case it's the car's built-in Bluetooth so it works well. If people want to text when driving I expect they will find a way to do so but there are ways to make it easier not to.
Never turned it on on my WP. I just don't bother with playing with the phone when I am driving, seems simple enough. It is nice to know you have a notification, so you can choose to pull over and look at it instead of reading it hours later when it is no longer relevant.
Old 08-30-16, 02:07 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
. You can talk hands-free but there is no way to text that way.... actually there is... Siri will take dictation and text it on your behalf but I don't know if Android phones will do that. But I really think that all concerned take the view that the convicted driver does no one any good rotting in prison.
Quite often the text dictated is not translated well, and the only way to know that is to "take your eyes off the road and look at your screen." Thus, even dictated text doesn't keep drivers from being distracted.

Honestly, the only way to resolve this is either much smarter drivers, or cars that are smarter than most of the current drivers. I don't see either one happening soon enough.
Old 08-30-16, 04:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Technology can never be thwarted. That's the nature of technology. If a thing can be done, it will be done.

Mobile devices helped create an unanticipated hazard by enabling careless people to use the devices carelessly.

The same tech can be modified to minimize the ability to use mobile devices inappropriately. It's just a matter of time before the industry figures out how to do it.
Old 08-31-16, 06:42 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Technology can never be thwarted. That's the nature of technology. If a thing can be done, it will be done.

Mobile devices helped create an unanticipated hazard by enabling careless people to use the devices carelessly.

The same tech can be modified to minimize the ability to use mobile devices inappropriately. It's just a matter of time before the industry figures out how to do it.
The answer is autonomous vehicles, or at the very least, cars with sensors and computerized braking and steering in emergency situations. I am actually amazed we don't have that in every car and truck already.
Old 08-31-16, 07:49 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by baron von trail
The answer is autonomous vehicles, or at the very least, cars with sensors and computerized braking and steering in emergency situations. I am actually amazed we don't have that in every car and truck already.
The technology isn't quite there yet, and the American driving public has to be weaned from their steering wheels slowly..., which is surprising, considering how often they choose to give up the wheel and grab a phone, or soda, or burger... etc...
Old 08-31-16, 10:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

At the risk of politicizing the issue, perhaps this is one way in which it's a good thing that Americans have ceded so much privacy since 9/11. Little by little we've accepted more and more surveillance, restrictions and automation. We've even celebrated ceding privacy and some autonomy through social media.

So, perhaps, Americans are nearly ready for personal transportation vehicles that require ceding some personal control. They might even happily accept a car that drives itself so the "drivers" can devote their full attention to selfies and social media updates between home and work. Meanwhile the car can safely maneuver in the presence of cyclists.

After reviewing my own videos of a recent ride in which I recorded no less than six near-collisions within five minutes, I'm way past ready for self-driving cars. They couldn't possibly be any worse than humans.
Old 08-31-16, 10:31 AM
genec
genec

At the risk of politicizing the issue, perhaps this is one way in which it's a good thing that Americans have ceded so much privacy since 9/11. Little by little we've accepted more and more surveillance, restrictions and automation. We've even celebrated ceding privacy and some autonomy through social media.

So, perhaps, Americans are nearly ready for personal transportation vehicles that require ceding some personal control. They might even happily accept a car that drives itself so the "drivers" can devote their full attention to selfies and social media updates between home and work. Meanwhile the car can safely maneuver in the presence of cyclists.

After reviewing my own videos of a recent ride in which I recorded no less than six near-collisions within five minutes, I'm way past ready for self-driving cars. They couldn't possibly be any worse than humans.
The problem is that so many Americans both love driving, and think they are great drivers... yet fail to really give all the attention to driving that it really requires. Go figure.
Old 08-31-16, 10:44 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Yup, that's why the appeal to authoritarianism works better than the appeal to logic. Instill fear, identify an enemy or scapegoat, offer to solve it with laws and enforcement, presto... illusion complete. Try the same thing with data, psychological studies and logic, and get ready for the emotional backlash.
Old 08-31-16, 06:27 PM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
The technology isn't quite there yet, and the American driving public has to be weaned from their steering wheels slowly..., which is surprising, considering how often they choose to give up the wheel and grab a phone, or soda, or burger... etc...
Yep. They love the wheel so much, they drive with their knee.
Old 09-02-16, 10:08 AM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
A bit harsh, eh?

I think one of the things I find most annoying about many of the most recent vehicles made is that you cannot tune or change tracks or anything of that nature without looking a touch screen... you must take your eyes off the road to do any of several functions... that in the past was locked to a dedicated button you could feel for and use muscle memory to activate.

Clearly this is a design flaw.
Not annoying, INFURIATING!!

And, I don't believe for one second that it is a design "flaw". Those car manufacturer know damn well that changing from dedicated buttons to "touch screens" makes it more dangerous to operate the vehicle. But the sales department loves it - "OOOH! - SHINY! - MODERN! - MUST HAVE!". Sales wins over safety.
Old 09-02-16, 10:19 AM
ItsJustMe
Seńior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I have a 2016 vehicle. You CAN operate everything from the touch screen, but it would be very irritating. There's nothing you can't also do from the buttons, and it's almost always faster to use the buttons.

OK, there are some things you can't do from the buttons. You can't pair a new Bluetooth device. As far as I know, you can't set the time (but it auto-sets from GPS anyway, you just need to change it twice a year for DST). All things that you would really never need to do while driving anyway.
Old 09-02-16, 10:48 AM
genec
genec

Wow! I did not know that the roads were getting more dangerous. Fatal accidents had been in decline for so long, I just started taking it for granted that this trend would continue.

National Safety Council: Fatal car accidents on the rise for 2016 | News 12 Long Island

We need the autonomous automobile...or at the very least, start fitting all of them with safety sensors and automatic braking.
Fatal collisions had been on the decline for a few reasons... one of which no doubt was the decline in driving miles for a brief period after the downturn in the economy... another reason for the decrease in automotive deaths was likely due to improvements in automobile safety, such as better airbags, and collision avoidance systems...

But at the same time, smart phone use and touch screen use in car has also increased... leaving us with the net sum of fatal collisions on the rise, as driving miles go back up. So "something" is offsetting the safety improvements designed into newer vehicles... I wonder what that "something" is...
Old 09-02-16, 04:31 PM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fatal collisions had been on the decline for a few reasons... one of which no doubt was the decline in driving miles for a brief period after the downturn in the economy... another reason for the decrease in automotive deaths was likely due to improvements in automobile safety, such as better airbags, and collision avoidance systems...

But at the same time, smart phone use and touch screen use in car has also increased... leaving us with the net sum of fatal collisions on the rise, as driving miles go back up. So "something" is offsetting the safety improvements designed into newer vehicles... I wonder what that "something" is...
Yep. It could be more older drivers, more aggressive drunk drivers or a sharp increase in distracted drivers. I pick C.
Old 09-02-16, 06:30 PM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cops are finding sneaky new ways to catch texting drivers | New York Post
Old 09-02-16, 09:33 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
One of the locales' mentioned in the article is Bethesda, Maryland. That is in the southern end of the county I live in. I guess because that is right at the DC-MD line. They could care less. They are 'full of themselves' in this county. They are one reason I 'take the lane'.
Old 09-26-16, 03:32 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
ity to use mobile devices inappropriately. It's just a matter of time before the industry figures out how to do it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/25/te...dont-they.html
yep, it will eventually find a way that work effectively
Old 10-02-16, 01:52 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quebec police are riding the bus and using the high vantage point to nab texting drivers: Police hop on a bus to spot sneaky texters - Montreal - CBC News
Old 10-02-16, 02:08 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by noisebeam
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/25/te...dont-they.html
yep, it will eventually find a way that work effectively
The real question is of course will the lawsuit win... will such technology be mandated, like seatbelts and airbags... or is it somehow possible for drivers to wean off of texting while driving.

I thought this statement was telling... in of itself...
With driving fatalities rising at levels not seen in 50 years, the growing incidence of distracted driving is getting part of the blame.
I mean the whole thing is based on drivers simply not having enough personal self control to just keep off texting and remain focused on the road.

Here, let's see what happens when I dangle this "candy" in front of you and tell you "no, you cannot have it, but you have to make that decision."

Of course the lawsuit had gone after the deepest pockets around... but then they claimed the patent... BINGO.
Old 10-02-16, 08:08 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Someone on another forum I frequent posted this.

Freaking nasty.

Brings up a good question though. Should texting while driving be punished as harshly as DUI?

IMO, if you hit someone and cause injury while texting, it should be a felony just like if you did it while drunk. I'd also like to see cops pull licenses and judges hand out 6 month suspensions to people who text and drive.
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/1...r-fatal-crash/

In Maryland, there was a case back in 2013. Where a 19yr.-old driver was ultimately sued for causing the wrongful death of a motorcyclist. The driver had pulled out into traffic while they were texting. The motorcyclist crashed into the side of the car. Ultimately succumbing injuries.

While the outcome of the suit was not disclosed. The county attorney was asking for 10yrs.
Old 10-02-16, 08:24 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516
Woman, 20, Accused Of Texting While Driving Faces Up To 10 Years For Fatal Crash « CBS Baltimore

In Maryland, there was a case back in 2013. Where a 19yr.-old driver was ultimately sued for causing the wrongful death of a motorcyclist. The driver had pulled out into traffic while they were texting. The motorcyclist crashed into the side of the car. Ultimately succumbing injuries.

While the outcome of the suit was not disclosed. The county attorney was asking for 10yrs.
Sued or prosecuted for a crime?

Suits usually refer to cases heard in civil court where in victims seek compensation. DA's are part of the state apparatus for prosecuting criminal cases.

Regardless of what the DA sought as a criminal sentence, I'm pretty sure the victim's family sought compensation in civil court.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.