Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Any interest in a BF GAP / C&O tour 2019?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-08-18, 03:46 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

We had a BF GAP ? C&O tour several years ago that was a lot of fun.

Here is how it worked. Basically we all got together to ride the GAP / C&O. I think we did it in 7 days. At most 60 miles a day. We all agreed on the same itinerary. Some of us paired up to ride based on capabilities and just desire to ride at a given speed that day. We helped one another with break downs etc. A sub group got together and arranged for a shuttle back home. We shared information and I acted as guide down the sometimes confusing Montour Trail. I opened my home to a few people on first come first serve basis.

For those that arrive a day early, we could do a side trip through Pittsburgh and the bicycle museum.

Other than that you were pretty much on your own. You had to make your own reservations for hotel stays, campgrounds etc. Arrange for your own meals. Be responsible enough to get yourself up and going in the morning if you wanted to ride with others. Arrange your own way home.

Would there be any interest in this kind of tour?

If there is interest, an option would be to shorten the tour by a day or day and a half by starting in Connelsville. We wouldn't have my home as a base there and parking might be an issue but we could work some things out. You would miss the Montour, IMHO much of it just as pretty as the GAP. The new lower section south of Library PA is really something to be seen.

Last edited by spinnaker; 07-10-18 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-08-18, 04:34 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Would there be any interest in this kind of tour?
Perhaps.

I have a sequence of past one-week trips that when placed end-to-end bring me to Pittsburgh:
- San Jose to Reno
- Reno to Salt Lake City
- Salt Lake City to Fort Collins
- Fort Collins to Wichita
- Wichita to Memphis
- Memphis to Cincinnati
- Cincinnati to Pittsburgh
So at some point, I have an interest in connecting Pittsburgh to somewhere in downtown Washington DC, e.g. Union Station or similar place. Normally, a path like C&O isn't my typical tour, but given the area and surroundings, the C&O seems like a good way to connect these locations.

Generally, the way you describe the logistics as creating a set of synchronization points e.g. roughly where to overnight - and leaving further synchronization/coordination to the parties involved makes sense and would fit for me as well. The wildcard is really my timing and how things line up with everything else going on. So if you do put something like this together, keep me informed. Outside of that, I might be coming through Pittsburgh in any case to complete this last link.
Old 07-08-18, 05:42 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by mev
Perhaps.

I have a sequence of past one-week trips that when placed end-to-end bring me to Pittsburgh:
- San Jose to Reno
- Reno to Salt Lake City
- Salt Lake City to Fort Collins
- Fort Collins to Wichita
- Wichita to Memphis
- Memphis to Cincinnati
- Cincinnati to Pittsburgh
So at some point, I have an interest in connecting Pittsburgh to somewhere in downtown Washington DC, e.g. Union Station or similar place. Normally, a path like C&O isn't my typical tour, but given the area and surroundings, the C&O seems like a good way to connect these locations.

Generally, the way you describe the logistics as creating a set of synchronization points e.g. roughly where to overnight - and leaving further synchronization/coordination to the parties involved makes sense and would fit for me as well. The wildcard is really my timing and how things line up with everything else going on. So if you do put something like this together, keep me informed. Outside of that, I might be coming through Pittsburgh in any case to complete this last link.
If the schedules don't match up or the BF tour does not happen, I would still be willing to help once you get to Pittsburgh. Just PM me when you get closer in.

You really would want to take the GAP / C&O from Pittsburgh to DC. The only other alternative (Route 40) is an awfully steep climb. My 6 cylinder has had trouble getting over that pass with 3 people and luggage in the car.

Old 07-09-18, 01:24 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Keep in mind that the route from downtown Pittsburgh to Mile 0 in DC is 335 miles, plus the Montour Trail, so the daily mileage is more like 70. Anyway, let me know if you are camped at Swains Lock (Mile 16) on the final night, which is near my house, and I’ll drop by with pizza and drinks to celebrate (assuming I’m in town then, of course).
Old 07-09-18, 01:37 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

I need to look at my literary. I know we rarely exceeded 60 miles. Mostly under. Maybe it was 6 days but thought it was 5. We started from the Montour Trail near my house.
Old 07-09-18, 07:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
I like that idea a lot. I would be game sometime. It would be fun to tour with random people I know from internet posts and see the trail from different eyes as I have ridden it plenty but never the whole dang thing. Let's do it.
Old 07-09-18, 08:03 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Closer to 70 or more if you go off the path much. Subscribing to see where this goes.

Last edited by u235; 07-09-18 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 08:13 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

I found the old thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/7...11-anyone.html

I think the old itinerary is in there somewhere. Too late to look for details noe. Going to sleep.
Old 07-10-18, 08:41 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Man do I have this thread messed up. I mustbe getting old.

Here is the correct old thread

https://www.bikeforums.net/hosted-tr...ur-2009-a.html

We actually took 7 days. This makes it doable for almost everyone. Some took side trips such as up to Fallingwater. We had lots of time to do non bike thinks like swimming. Connelsville has kayaking, can't remember if anyone participated. I know we spent time in places of interest like Ohiopyle, the causeway and the other side of the Big Savage. Once we got to Cumberland, it started to rain. We were all very happy the day would not be too long. We had a nice amount of time in DC to look around before returning home the next day.

Here is the old itinerary.

Day From To Mileage
1 Sat. Robinson,PA Boston, PA 57 mi
2 Sun. Boston, PA Connellsville, PA 40 mi
3 Mon. Connellsville ,PA Rockwood, PA 46
4 Tue. Rockwood, PA Cumberland, MD 46 mi
5 Wed. Cumberland, MD Hancock 60 mi
6 Thr. Hancock, MD Harpers Ferry MD 63 mi
7 Fri. Harpers Ferry, MD Washington DC 60 mi

Last edited by spinnaker; 07-10-18 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-10-18, 10:35 AM
mattbur

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sirrus, 2016 Surly Disc Trucker, 800 MTB for winter use

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spinnaker, any thoughts of the dates you plan on doing this ride? I read thru the 2009 ride report and it seemed to take place around mid June. I know you can't please everyone cause of all the conflicting schedules. This ride sounds like a dandy though. I would like to try and make it depending on dates.

Tony
Old 07-10-18, 10:47 AM
DBT

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Following. I have never toured before, but have wanted to do so. That looks like a good beginner friendly tour to take. I am on the west coast and have been considering taking Amtrak to Pittsburgh and return from D.C.
Old 07-10-18, 01:38 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by mattbur
Spinnaker, any thoughts of the dates you plan on doing this ride? I read thru the 2009 ride report and it seemed to take place around mid June. I know you can't please everyone cause of all the conflicting schedules. This ride sounds like a dandy though. I would like to try and make it depending on dates.

Tony
Actually was thinking June. I have a tentative tour Spokane to Whitefish in September.

And like last trip, nothing says you have to do the whole thing. You can start where you want. End where you want. Because of my Whitefish trip, I might not have the time to do the whole thing.
Old 07-10-18, 01:39 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by DBT
Following. I have never toured before, but have wanted to do so. That looks like a good beginner friendly tour to take. I am on the west coast and have been considering taking Amtrak to Pittsburgh and return from D.C.

It would. Keeping the miles short enough that it will be comfortable for most people. It is an easy ride and you will have people along to help you out and give you tips.
Old 07-10-18, 08:30 PM
mattbur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually was thinking June. I have a tentative tour Spokane to Whitefish in September.
Ahh, June may take me out of the picture depending how early or late you decide on. I'm committing myself to doing GOBA again next year. It starts on Fathers day June 16th of 2019. Its a hell of a ride and I hate to miss it. But...you're ride sounds like a great time too. Decisions, decisions.

The wife and I did four days on the Gap a couple years ago and we loved it. It'd be great to do the entire thing. I'd also like to do some part of the Montour Trail. We've been down to Pittsburgh twice with the intent on riding the Montour and haven't even been able to even find it. Is it really so difficult to find or am I just directionally challenged??

We'll see what you decide on as time moves along.

Tony

Last edited by mattbur; 07-10-18 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-11-18, 10:49 AM
spinsheet

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm actually planning to do part of the GAP and all of the C&O next year. Not sure about June though, I was targeting fall as the weather would be cooler. I did it this year (May) but had to bail after four nights as the rain was non stop, it just stopped being fun. I look forward to completing it. So yeah, depending on timetables I would certainly be interested.
Old 07-11-18, 11:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by spinsheet
I was targeting fall as the weather would be cooler.
In 2013 I started a cross-PA tour on the GAP on the Saturday after Labor Day. That day was a little more humid than I was hoping for, but still better than the height of summer. Sunday and Monday were great temperature-wise. Both nights featured good tent sleeping temperatures. And only a few skeeters at Husky Haven, which is wooded.
Old 07-11-18, 06:00 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

The hostel is a better deal IMHO.
Old 07-11-18, 08:29 PM
u235

The hostel is a better deal IMHO.
Two thumbs up for the Hostel in Harpers Ferry. Would be a great time for a lose knit group
Old 07-12-18, 05:58 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Husky Haven is in Rockwood. There is a hostel in Rockwood.

Last edited by spinnaker; 07-12-18 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-12-18, 07:59 AM
indyfabz

Husky Haven is in Eockwood. There is a hostel in Rockwood.
I know. I sleep inside most days of my life. Unless conditions are horrible, I prefer camping when I am out on the road.
Old 07-12-18, 08:58 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I know. I sleep inside most days of my life. Unless conditions are horrible, I prefer camping when I am out on the road.
I like a nice campfire, which is frowned upon in a hostel.
Old 07-12-18, 09:09 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by alan s

I like a nice campfire, which is frowned upon in a hostel.
Heh. Same here. Husky Haven features free firewood. Made a nice one there. Earlier in the evening an owl pounced on a chipmunk and flew off with it right near my picnic table.

And of course, there was this :

Old 07-12-18, 10:49 AM
mattbur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh. Same here. Husky Haven features free firewood. Made a nice one there. Earlier in the evening an owl pounced on a chipmunk and flew off with it right near my picnic table.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_eBa1j8F0dk

Indy,

LOL That video reminded me of a time when a buddy and me were camped along the West Branch of the Susquehanna River on a canoe trip. A train was on the other side of the river from us and laid on his horn off and on for miles. There wasn't a crossing any where near. I think he looked for campfires and got a kick out of harassing us.
Old 07-12-18, 11:01 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mattbur
Indy,

LOL
I work for a railroad and just had to take that video. Quite a transition from crickets chirping to the horn. The train you hear is the Capitol Limited heading to Chicago from D.C. I could hear it coming up the hill and whipped out the camera. There are a couple of grade crossings in Rockwood. By law, a train has to blow its horn at each one unless what is called a "quiet zone" has been established. To establish one, a municipality has to jump through a lot of regulatory hoops, including having a vehicular traffic study performed. Based on that study, and several other factors, the municipality may have to make certain physical improvements to the crossing to qualify for a quiet zone. All that (and future maintenance) is paid for by the municipality, and the costs can be very high depending on what's needed. I worked on two for my employer. Both were in very tony areas in North Jersey that had the money to spend.
Old 07-12-18, 01:52 PM
u235

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_eBa1j8F0dk

Same in Harpers Ferry Hostel. Wood and a ring. Anything but discouraged

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.