Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 05:21 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Not sure about the broken stuff but I love my Speedplays, and I love the fact they have the built in grease port no disassembling the pedal to relube and a bunch of other features I like about Speedplays.
nah, he was taking a stab at the guy new LOOK pedals, not the speedplays. I used speedplay for years on my road bike without any issue too, but my right foot started to hurt and going back to LOOKs helped me. I still use speed plays on the MTB.
Old 08-08-14, 06:45 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
nah, he was taking a stab at the guy new LOOK pedals, not the speedplays. I used speedplay for years on my road bike without any issue too, but my right foot started to hurt and going back to LOOKs helped me. I still use speed plays on the MTB.
Oh ok. I actually use the Frogs on my road bike and touring bike, I like the fact I can ride my road bike go into a different town and be able to walk around if I want to. The full float thing took about 3 months to get use to because it felt like I was squirming on my pedals, but now I really like them.
Old 08-08-14, 06:47 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
^ yeah it's float that began to bug me... after a knee surgery , I decided less float was better because it was a lot easier for me to unclip with less float.
Old 08-08-14, 09:13 PM
bmcphx
Banned.

Bikes: Black Incs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frogs? Lol that's the speedplay equivalent to using spd mountain bike pedals on your road bike.

Please don't.
Old 08-08-14, 09:53 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by bmcphx
Frogs? Lol that's the speedplay equivalent to using spd mountain bike pedals on your road bike.

Please don't.
Well I did anyways, so there!
Old 08-08-14, 09:58 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by spdntrxi
^ yeah it's float that began to bug me... after a knee surgery , I decided less float was better because it was a lot easier for me to unclip with less float.
Never had surgery on my knees, though my wife just today had knee surgery, but I have knee issues only when I run. I read on the internet that full float was better for your knees on several different sites, while I did come off of no float where I had no issues, I have no issues with the full float either. I also have had no problems getting in or out of the Frogs and this is after 40 years of riding clip and straps.
Old 08-08-14, 10:10 PM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Mmmmm. New style Garmin cadence and speed sensors to go with my Edge 500 on the second bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140808_195816.jpg (41.9 KB, 87 views)
Old 08-08-14, 10:32 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bought two 5800 groups today. Yup, two. Just couldn't say no.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 08-08-14, 10:39 PM
klmmicro

Bikes: 2007 GT Avalanche 2.0, 2011 Felt Z85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a new tire and thought it was pretty cool...then I see all the really cool stuff you guys are buying in this tread! Anyway, bought a Continental Grand Prix 4 Season for my winter rim. Will be trying it out to see how the tire fares in my area.
Old 08-09-14, 05:36 AM
soma5
Hanging On

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Crank Brothers Sterling CO2 inflator. Pretty clever design, but the truth will only be revealed when I have a flat!
Old 08-10-14, 06:55 PM
coppercook62

Bikes: Crumpton SL Crumpton Type 5 Berk on order

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New wheels
Old 08-10-14, 09:12 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got a 5 hour energy shot and some Powerbars. It definitely helped out riding 50 miles.
Old 08-10-14, 09:35 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Picked up some new Michelin Pro tires. While cleaning the bike after a rain ride, I came across a bump in the rear tire. Turned out to be one inch of exposed casing. The rubber was completely gone and the tire still held through the ride. I now have around 7000 miles on Michelin Pros without a flat. I'll keep buying them until the build quality goes downhill.
Old 08-10-14, 09:38 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coppercook62

New wheels
Do you print your own money!?!? Dang, I wish i had your kind of awesomeness!! Love the bike and the new wheels mate. Your shoes come in yet??
Old 08-10-14, 10:41 PM
coppercook62

Bikes: Crumpton SL Crumpton Type 5 Berk on order

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no shoes not yet
I blow way to much money on cycling.
Old 08-11-14, 05:55 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Got a Specialized travel floor pump. Comes in it's own little case.

Old 08-11-14, 07:46 AM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
no shoes not yet

Does not matter- as long as it keeps you riding. I'm waiting for my Schmolke TLO OS bars to arrive. Had them a few years back, went for a fitting and I was told they had way too much reach for me. Turns out the fitter sucked- didn't fix my problem. Went to a different fitter recently and he fixed the problem- turns out with my leg issue fixed my reach for my "proper position" is back to where the Schmolke bars are perfect. Could have gone cheaper, but why? I love those freaking bars!
Old 08-11-14, 08:35 AM
rekmeyata

no shoes not yet
A person does need to find a balance. A lot of stuff I see people buying is to upgrade something that isn't even broken or worn out, yet they feel the need to upgrade, that's cool it's their thing, but the average person in reality doesn't have the money to be getting this sort of stuff, and a lot just throw the purchases on their credit cards and let the balance pile up costing a fortune in interest and all in the pursuit of trying to keep up with their friends or with the bike club or just so they look a certain way when riding. Obviously if a person has so much money that it spews out of their pockets then they can afford whatever they want and they deserve it! I rarely upgrade a bike, in fact I can't recall when I did! All my bikes, even my racing bike I bought new in 84 never got upgraded, of course I had to replace wheels and gears as they wore out but I never went and upgraded stuff like the steel fork to a carbon one, or aluminum rims to carbon, etc, nor upgraded say the wheels before they wore out. I kept all my replacement parts close to stock specs to keep the price of this sport/hobby down. I guess I'm weird that way.

Before some of you start throwing stones at me, note I did say if you have the extra cash to buy whatever you want then you deserve to buy whatever you want. But if you're constantly banging the credit card and never paying off the balance 100% at the end of the month, and or delaying buying your kids clothes (or whatever), or the interest from the credit card is taking money out of the family budget so you can have your toy upgraded then there's something wrong with your priorities!
Old 08-12-14, 07:25 AM
heffdiddy

Bikes: KOMobile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A person does need to find a balance. A lot of stuff I see people buying is to upgrade something that isn't even broken or worn out, yet they feel the need to upgrade, that's cool it's their thing, but the average person in reality doesn't have the money to be getting this sort of stuff, and a lot just throw the purchases on their credit cards and let the balance pile up costing a fortune in interest and all in the pursuit of trying to keep up with their friends or with the bike club or just so they look a certain way when riding. Obviously if a person has so much money that it spews out of their pockets then they can afford whatever they want and they deserve it! I rarely upgrade a bike, in fact I can't recall when I did! All my bikes, even my racing bike I bought new in 84 never got upgraded, of course I had to replace wheels and gears as they wore out but I never went and upgraded stuff like the steel fork to a carbon one, or aluminum rims to carbon, etc, nor upgraded say the wheels before they wore out. I kept all my replacement parts close to stock specs to keep the price of this sport/hobby down. I guess I'm weird that way.

Before some of you start throwing stones at me, note I did say if you have the extra cash to buy whatever you want then you deserve to buy whatever you want. But if you're constantly banging the credit card and never paying off the balance 100% at the end of the month, and or delaying buying your kids clothes (or whatever), or the interest from the credit card is taking money out of the family budget so you can have your toy upgraded then there's something wrong with your priorities!
This guy.....is a buzzkill
Old 08-12-14, 07:38 AM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by heffdiddy
Hey, I like that, I wish I could change my forum name to...hmmm, how about Captain Buzzkill?
Old 08-12-14, 11:41 AM
CALE262
Ex Coelis

Bikes: have wheels...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by heffdiddy

This is guy works for a CC company
Old 08-12-14, 11:48 AM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm with you 100%. Unfortunately, our economy depends on folks spending in that way. Somewhere just shy of creating a bubble (hopefully), but certainly using (and borderline abusing) their credit. It's an ugly cycle...and then there's payday lending...

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur

Last edited by dtrain; 08-12-14 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-12-14, 11:50 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
May as well close the thread now that we've all been shamed into silence on our new purchases.
Old 08-12-14, 12:19 PM
silkroad

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
May as well close the thread now that we've all been shamed into silence on our new purchases.
Just wait till I pay of my credit card...
Old 08-12-14, 12:56 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts

You should probably go give these guys your speech, too.

https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespee...ad-thread.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.