Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike Forum Great Allegheny Passage Tour 2010?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-09, 07:35 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

OK maybe I am a gluten for punishment but I am willing to take the lead on a Bike Forum Great Allegheny Passage Tour in 2010.

We had (if you will excuse the pun) had a few rough spots, to be expected with a larger group, but overall, I think that most people had a great time, including myself. We had a great group of guys.

We could use my place as a launching point again. Lodging will also be made available at Ostello Spinnaker for out of town riders.

Anyone interested?

Depending on the amount of interest, I think we could have 3 groups that make up the main group.

1. Ride from Pittsburgh and terminate in Cumberland. Return via shuttle, train, rental car etc.

2. Round trip Pittsburgh / Cumberland / Pittsburgh.

3. Ride from Pittsburgh to DC.

Other topics of discussion:

Dates (maybe make it a fall trip for the trees?)

How to get from my house to the start of the GAP. Some options are: ride the Montour Trail again, ride to Mckeesport, ride to Pittsburgh then take water taxi all or part of the way to Mckeesport.

What we can do better next year. One thought I had was to have a list of expectations like the one I posted expect maybe fix them up a bit? Do we need an actual tour leader that would "shepherd" everyone? My vote is no, but if people think it would be easier to have a tour mom / dad that made sure everyone had someone to ride with, eat with, get up on time, blow their nose etc. etc. then I could be flexible.

Riders from this year are willing to weigh in, even if not interest in 2010.

Lets use this thread to flesh out the idea. Once we have a plan, I can create a new thread with all the details and have it make a sticky like last year. We could use that thread for fine tuning.
Old 09-14-09, 10:01 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
As much as I enjoyed meetin' y'all, I can't hang with you guys. Also three trips on the Passage and C & O and two on the Montour have 'trailed' me out for the time being.

That said, my suggestion for future tours is to skip May and June and choose August or September for Pittsburgh to DC. The C & O seems to be drier later in the summer. It's quite rideable, if a little boring in spots, when it's dry.

Also, skip the Detour, err, Montour Trail. Start in Boston, PA, instead.

Old 09-14-09, 10:35 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Boston, PA to DC sounds great with a shuttle back. Are there places to leave vehicles at Boston?
Drier is better!
Old 09-15-09, 02:37 AM
twodeadpoets
Training Wheel Graduate

Bikes: Bridgestone Grand Velo, Evans Randonneur (custom), Moser 51.151, Surly LHT & Pacer, Kona/FreeRadical, Trek 730, Trek 510

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might be up for another go if it started after June 19... wait, what am I saying! 8^0

Of course it would be added encouragement if Andrian brings his new banana guard! xD
Old 09-15-09, 02:37 AM
twodeadpoets
Training Wheel Graduate

Bikes: Bridgestone Grand Velo, Evans Randonneur (custom), Moser 51.151, Surly LHT & Pacer, Kona/FreeRadical, Trek 730, Trek 510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the usual suspects?
Old 09-15-09, 04:24 AM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Well I got back from doing part of the trail with a neighbor last week and had a great time. Connelsville to Confluence to Cumberland to Little Orleans and back to Confluence where the van was parked. I had a great time, and barring another family issue, would be interested in riding it again with you'all.
Old 09-15-09, 05:07 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by robow
Boston, PA to DC sounds great with a shuttle back. Are there places to leave vehicles at Boston?
Drier is better!
The Yough Shore Inn will let you stash your car/van for a week. Contact the owner for the rates.

Old 09-15-09, 05:18 AM
VT_Speed_TR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in for a fall ride on the GAP. I think seeing the fall colors would be great, though not sure when the leaves change down there, they are changing up here already!

As far as the C&O, I'd love to see the C&O again, since I missed most of it either because of the rain or the road day, but I'm not sure I'll have enough time off to cover a weeks riding.

Spinnaker, you did a great job organizing last time. I think the main point to make to participants is that they need to be prepared to be on their own (ie. fix a flat, chain break, spokes). Not that they necessarily will be, just don't count on someone coming along as a sweep rider.

Last edited by VT_Speed_TR; 09-15-09 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-15-09, 07:13 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
The Yough Shore Inn will let you stash your car/van for a week. Contact the owner for the rates.
Thanks Historian, that would work out nicely. A 5-6 day trip eliminating the Detour trail, ha. My better-half would would probably want to come along the next time, unfortunate for me because if you thought I rode a decent tempo, my wife will tear my legs off on the flats.
Old 09-15-09, 07:26 AM
VT_Speed_TR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Historian, that would work out nicely. A 5-6 day trip eliminating the Detour trail, ha. My better-half would would probably want to come along the next time, unfortunate for me because if you thought I rode a decent tempo, my wife will tear my legs off on the flats.
So I guess I'll have to say my "hello's" and "good bye's" at the Yough Shore Inn since I'll never see you two again Perhaps I can sneak some of my gear onto your or your BH bikes, but that still wouldn't allow me the pleasure of riding with ya.
Old 09-15-09, 10:12 AM
mtclifford
Ceci n'est pas un vélo.

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Canondale Six Carbon 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I am in the country I will definitely come along. I had so much fun on the ride from Connellsville to Rockwood, met a lot of great people. Sadly if things go as planned I will be overseas.
Old 09-15-09, 04:28 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by The Historian
As much as I enjoyed meetin' y'all, I can't hang with you guys. Also three trips on the Passage and C & O and two on the Montour have 'trailed' me out for the time being.

That said, my suggestion for future tours is to skip May and June and choose August or September for Pittsburgh to DC. The C & O seems to be drier later in the summer. It's quite rideable, if a little boring in spots, when it's dry.

Also, skip the Detour, err, Montour Trail. Start in Boston, PA, instead.
We will miss you.

Your experience is highly valuable. Please monitor and comment on this and any future thread.

As always you are welcome here anytime, should you decide to do the ride on you own or maybe some other destination.
Old 09-15-09, 05:32 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Drier is better!
I thought we could start from my place again. Free parking and free lodging. Plus it was a lot of fun at the kick off GTG.

We could ride through the city or combine that with a water taxi ride. It really is not that bad of a ride on weekends. Only about 25 miles to Mckeesport through the city.

Of course nothing says we can't have groups that start from different places. The Robinson riders would just need to start a day early or it would be a short day for the Boston riders the first day, to allow Robinson riders to catch up.
Old 09-15-09, 05:35 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by twodeadpoets
I might be up for another go if it started after June 19... wait, what am I saying! 8^0

Of course it would be added encouragement if Andrian brings his new banana guard! xD
WOW You ARE a gluten for punishment! That is a real man's test for you to get here! Maybe you can get better connections next time!
Old 09-15-09, 05:38 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

All the usual suspects?
"Newbies" of course are welcome.

As far as time of year, I will probably be doing something (hopefully Italy) in September or August(Icefields maybe if the dollar does not heal) so those would be out for me for the GAP. But late October would be OK
Old 09-16-09, 05:35 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by spinnaker
WOW You ARE a gluten for punishment! That is a real man's test for you to get here! Maybe you can get better connections next time!
The word is "glutton", as in, "The Historian is a glutton. Look at him put away those crabcakes!" Gluten is a protein found in some grains.

Old 09-16-09, 05:43 AM
Neil_B

We will miss you.

Your experience is highly valuable. Please monitor and comment on this and any future thread.

As always you are welcome here anytime, should you decide to do the ride on you own or maybe some other destination.
Thank you. And yes, I'm happy to help as I can.

Old 09-16-09, 05:43 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
OK maybe I am a gluten for punishment but I am willing to take the lead on a Bike Forum Great Allegheny Passage Tour in 2010.
I thought you were going to lead a group up the Icefield Parkway in 2010.
Old 09-16-09, 06:33 AM
jagraham
Senior Moment Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll volunteer for "Mother Hen" again...

Judy
Old 09-16-09, 07:13 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by jagraham
I'll volunteer for "Mother Hen" again...

Judy
Goodness, you are a "gluten" for punishment!

Old 09-16-09, 07:23 AM
alhanson

Bikes: 2014 pinnarello FP Due, 1990 Pinarrello Triveso, 2007 Fuji Cross Comp, 1984 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IS THAT WHAT IS IN THE BOX? I have been traveling so much I have a pile of stuff!

Out with my old banana guard... in with the new and improved (bigger) guard... I wonder if it glows in the dark...

I get home Friday so I will be checking this package first and pics/posts shall follow. One cant do the GAP/C&O without protection to one's banana.

tdp~ bring that sweet beetlejuice bar tape again
Old 09-16-09, 07:26 AM
alhanson

Bikes: 2014 pinnarello FP Due, 1990 Pinarrello Triveso, 2007 Fuji Cross Comp, 1984 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't be thinking too late in the year though, I can't exactly tell work and grad school that I have to leave for a week cause I need to cycle a trail I have done before.
Old 09-16-09, 07:28 AM
alhanson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VT_Speed_TR
I'm in for a fall ride on the GAP. I think seeing the fall colors would be great, though not sure when the leaves change down there, they are changing up here already!

As far as the C&O, I'd love to see the C&O again, since I missed most of it either because of the rain or the road day, but I'm not sure I'll have enough time off to cover a weeks riding.

Spinnaker, you did a great job organizing last time. I think the main point to make to participants is that they need to be prepared to be on their own (ie. fix a flat, chain break, spokes). Not that they necessarily will be, just don't count on someone coming along as a sweep rider.
That reminds me... Spinnaker, I have your fiber spoke replacement at the house. As I said in another post, I have been on some extensive travel. I will mail it to you soon though, promise.
Old 09-16-09, 10:25 AM
twodeadpoets
Training Wheel Graduate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry "Al" but I didn't see any glow-in-the-dark ones on this summer's Vancouver Island tour but it was cheap and sleazy and so it reminded me of you I carried it with me the whole time but don't worry, I didn't use it as I had my glow-in-the-dark one with me as well.
Old 09-16-09, 02:58 PM
joel2old

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if i ever do it again i think it would have to include the fall colors. no we do not need a baby sitter, just a great organizer like we had. mother hen was great also!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.