Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Bicyclist hit and killed by Sheriff in Calabasas

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Bicyclist hit and killed by Sheriff in Calabasas

Old 12-10-13, 06:59 PM
herbm
Embracing the fredness

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alicestrong
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/...-in-calabasas/

I can't not have that "Hope that I didn't know him" feeling...

*excuse the misspell please
Unfortunately...I did Alice...
Old 12-10-13, 08:29 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by herbm
So, so sorry for your loss, Herb...
Old 12-11-13, 10:18 AM
herbm
Embracing the fredness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alicestrong
So, so sorry for your loss, Herb...
Thanks Alice....my wife worked with him for years...
Very very sad...but I know he loved riding and I can only think he would have wanted to be on his bike at the end!
That is how I feel too!
herb
Old 12-11-13, 10:45 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stories like this always hard to read. I have reread the article several times... it seems clear no negligence on the rider as the article states he was in the bike lane at the time of the accident. That indicates to me that the driver drifted into the lane. I would be surprised if that is denied at any point. It does appear to be just a tragic accident. Not something that should be criminally prosecuted but clearly something that should be addressed in a civil lawsuit. Still, doesn't bring back the dead. I would like to see the tragedy used as an example of driving distracted and the potential result (I assume the driver has his eyes on something other than the road...).

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 12-11-13, 10:45 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
The speed limit on the weekend (with the schools being closed) is 45mph along that stretch of highway. If you look on google maps you can see a 45mph speed limit sign about 2 blocks south of this location. The cyclist would be traveling up the incline when heading north. You can see from the CBS video screenshot pretty clearly that the police car is stopped on a slight incline. A cyclist doing ~15mph being struck from behind by a car doing 45-50mph would be enough to kill someone on impact.
Yes, It seems my location was off by a few hundred feet. The street view images are a year and a half old making it difficult to match the scene to the news images. Those trees are really fast growers; looks like a foot an a half.

That's sad to hear. It could be any of us.
Old 12-11-13, 12:06 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Here is a memorial to Milt that I came across on another site that I frequent:

https://sivers.org/milt

Not bike related, just moving. RIP
Old 12-11-13, 04:18 PM
herbm
Embracing the fredness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I noticed on one report that a ghost bike was already in place.
I will also say he was an extremely experience rider!
Old 12-11-13, 04:31 PM
lpolliard
'09 Synapse Carbon 3

Bikes: '09 Synapse Carbon 3, R5000, R2000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No one mentioned that the impact was dead center in the windshield. If the rider was in the bike lane then the patrol car was way over to the right.
Old 12-11-13, 04:55 PM
blarnie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
Stories like this always hard to read. I have reread the article several times... it seems clear no negligence on the rider as the article states he was in the bike lane at the time of the accident. That indicates to me that the driver drifted into the lane. I would be surprised if that is denied at any point. It does appear to be just tragic negligence. Not something that should be criminally prosecuted but clearly something that should be addressed in a civil lawsuit. Still, doesn't bring back the dead. I would like to see the tragedy used as an example of driving distracted and the potential result (I assume the driver has his eyes on something other than the road...).
Fixed it for you.
Old 12-11-13, 05:39 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Photo Guy Dutton
Attached Images
Old 12-11-13, 05:47 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I will also say he was an extremely experienced rider!
Well, this most likely proved he wasn't doing anything stupid on his bike to warrant being run down. I can live with accidents, but criminal negligence is another story. And then, criminal negligence by a cop not on an emergency run! And I keep getting the weird feeling that we won't get the whole truth. Anybody that runs somebody down in broad daylight should be tested for drugs and/or alcohol impairment. I recently developed some serious qualms about road cycling after a close friend got busted for DUI. He told me this is a very serious problem in SoCal, as his classes were just overflowing with offenders(young and old).

Be careful out there people.
Old 12-11-13, 06:24 PM
MacNasty

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My sincerest condolences for the family and friends. As one fellow stated it could have been anyone of us riding that day.
Old 12-11-13, 07:45 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Old 12-12-13, 09:59 AM
herbm
Embracing the fredness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow...all I can say is wow...

I am still at a loss for words here...my feelings are this was a case of distracted driving.
However being LE doesnt excuse this. I am also concerned that CHP or some other entity is not handling the investigation.
Old 12-12-13, 10:38 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am still at a loss for words here...my feelings are this was a case of distracted driving.
However being LE doesnt excuse this. I am also concerned that CHP or some other entity is not handling the investigation.
https://www.theacorn.com/news/2013-12...yclists_M.html
Old 12-12-13, 10:39 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Sheriff's office is going to have a very hard time coming up with a reason as to why the cyclist was at fault based on the evidence I've seen in the photos. I have a feeling they will probably admit their error, but the officer will just get a slap on the hand.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 12-12-13, 10:43 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
They need to ID the officer.

Old 12-12-13, 12:12 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TheAcorn dot com
According to BikinginLA.com, this was the 34th bicycling fatality in Los Angeles County this year and the 82nd cycling fatality in Southern California. At least four cyclists have lost their lives on Mulholland Highway in the last four years.
There comes a point where there is only so much roadway design can do to make us safer. At the very least, intensive diver, and rider, education is the next logical step. Enforcement of distracted driving laws, and holding LEO accountable for same too.
Old 12-12-13, 01:24 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blarnie
Fixed it for you.
Just FYI negligence can result from an accident... in almost every single situation where there was an accident, something was done wrong... but negligence is not necessarily prosecutable or even cause for a citation... if the finding is intentional or willful negligence, then another matter...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 12-12-13, 01:30 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
This is our local paper. There has been a furious debate occurring between riders and drivers in these pages the past month. Some of the letters on both sides have been thoughtful, others just stupid.

IMO, we are our own worst enemies too often. How many times have I been dropped from a group ride or had to chase back on because everyone ran a light or stop sign? And then flipped off drivers who complained? It's arrogant and self-centered. And very visible.

How many times have I seen drivers texting, talking on the phone, distracted, just being a$$holes? Plenty.

This is so sad.
Old 12-12-13, 01:30 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider
The Sheriff's office is going to have a very hard time coming up with a reason as to why the cyclist was at fault based on the evidence I've seen in the photos. I have a feeling they will probably admit their error, but the officer will just get a slap on the hand.
Let me ask you a question... you are driving down the road and your briefcase slides off the seat and you reach to catch it and drift into the bike lane and hit a rider... should you go to jail for that? or lose your job?

I am not defending the sheriff and if he drifted into the lane he should be fined and I assume will be sued. **** happens to everyone including peace officers... the rider it appears did nothing wrong and I assume that will come out in the investigation. It's never a good thing to speculate and suppose things without a proper investigation and final conclusion... won't bring back the rider, won't help the family to jump to conclusions and the officer, a human being like us all, should be given the benefit of the doubt until the investigation is finalized.

I get everyone is suspicious of peace officer nowadays but jeez, don't think this happened on purpose. Unless you all know something i don't... it's a sad tragic accident. A life was loss - let's focus in on that instead...

One other thing I want to add... hopefully NONE OF YOU have ever looked at, called or text in the car... if you think something bad won't happen to you if you do, thnk again. I see people everyday using their phones or being otherwise distracted while driving (say using a GPS)... roads just aren't as safe anymore - REALITY - we have to accept the fact - SO CAL roads are dangerous.

Last edited by CbadRider; 12-13-13 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Undefeated the word censor
Old 12-12-13, 01:47 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let me ask you a question... you are driving down the road and your briefcase slides off the seat and you reach to catch it and drift into the bike lane and hit a rider... should you go to jail for that? or lose your job?
I tend agree but IMO the officer would have to be staring down at his laptop or phone in order to hit a cyclist riding in the middle of the road in the bike lane. The evidence suggests the officer was going 45+ when he collided with the cyclist right in the center of the hood. Law enforcement has been making a big deal about the dangers of distracted driving and I think they should held to the same standards as you or me if it is determined that was the cause. The design of the bike lane being centered in the middle of two thru traffic lanes is a very poor design and likely played a huge role in this accident. If the bike lane was off on the side of the road this accident likely doesn't happen.

Last edited by Dunbar; 12-12-13 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-12-13, 02:02 PM
SClaraPokeman

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I agree with Dunbar on the traffic island creating a hazard--too often things get done to our roads w/o considering possible effect on cyclists...

About five-six years ago a young deputy killed two racers on a training ride in the Cupertino hills when he dozed off in his cruiser, crossed into the opposing lane and took out the riders.

I'm not sure what the out of court settlement was to the families. I wrote the Sherriff and told her while I thought there was little point to criminally charging the deputy, I thought the least she could do was to fire him as this was an epic job failure and he should try to redeem himself by going into another line of work. However, she strangely didn't take my advice and reassigned him to a desk job in the department.
Old 12-12-13, 02:29 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Yes, if I were to engage in that level of negligence and harm someone, then I should go to jail. Securing the driving compartment is basic driver's ed. Those who fail to do so should not be allowed to drive, and certainly should not be allowed to hold down jobs that involve driving, since they are either too stupid to foresee what can happen or they are too lacking in empathy to care.

I get everyone is suspicious of peace officer nowadays but jeez, don't think this happened on purpose. Unless you all know something i don't... it's a sad tragic accident. A life was loss - let's focus in on that instead...
A critical safety component failing is an accident. Negligently failing to watch the roadway and then running down a cyclist in a bike lane is not an accident, it's a criminal act of negligence. (That's based only on what we know: the debris field runs from the bike lane and thus the deputy struck the cyclist while he was in the bike lane.)
Old 12-12-13, 02:50 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
A critical safety component failing is an accident. Negligently failing to watch the roadway and then running down a cyclist in a bike lane is not an accident, it's a criminal act of negligence. (That's based only on what we know: the debris field runs from the bike lane and thus the deputy struck the cyclist while he was in the bike lane.)
I think you are confuse about what constitutes a criminal act... if the officer intended to strike the rider than I would agree it was an assault; if the officer was just not paying attention, it was an accident and does not rise to the level of criminally... it will however be a civil matter...

point is, remember this can happen to any one of us or someone we know. ride cautiously and don't take any risk...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.