Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

'Intrepid Business Travelers Are Finding Another Way to the Airport: Bike'

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-18, 08:18 AM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/26/b...port-bike.html
Old 11-27-18, 08:45 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I hope this catches on but I can already forsee the regular backlash that happens all the time.

Of all the airports that I know well, all the roads that lead to the terminals are like highways. They'll need a major retofit to safely accomodate bicycles.
Old 11-27-18, 09:41 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Tucson and Santa Barbara airports aren't bad for bike access; they're just 10+ miles from where most people live and work.

Despite owning and riding bicycles (a lot), I can hardly imagine biking to the airport. Maybe I pack too much, or maybe I'm too concerned about spending a couple hours packed into a metal tube while still soaked with sweat, but it seems like a sub-optimal way to travel.
Old 11-27-18, 09:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Yup. New Jersey sucks in that there are many places besides Newark Airport that is accessible only by highway. There is no bicycle or foot way. I always thought that was nuts.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-27-18, 01:15 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I have to say this is quite a stupid article

Travelers have a bunch of choices on how to get to the airport. They can drive and pay to park. They can take a taxi or car service, or, perhaps, a bus or train. But whatever way they choose, travelers usually face delays in traffic or as they arrive at the terminal.
What. From my door which is a 5 min walk to the train station ... I have:
  • Within 60 min Southampton Airport (2M pax/yr)
  • Within 80 min London Gatwick (40M pax/yr)
  • Within 150 min London Heathrow (75M pax/yr)
  • Within 150 min London City (4.5M pax/yr)
  • Within 180 min London Luton (12M pax/year)
  • Within 180 min London Stansted (22M pax/year)
  • Within 180 min London Southend (1M pax/yr)
Why would I want to cycle to the airport with excellent rail transport that is comfortable, relatively inexpensive and user friendly.

I'm all for cycling, but the T and bus combo to Logan is quite good in my opinion. (Even better is the free transport downtown after arrival! It's quite easy to fly London to Logan and get into NYC).
Old 11-27-18, 02:00 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@acidfast7, you have many choices. Others don't.

And getting into NYC from any of the three major airports is a hassle, though from EWR is less so, oddly enough.

One thing I like about bike commuting is that my travel time is very predictable. This means I don't need to add a buffer of ten minutes or whatever, which saves me time. That's part of the appeal of getting out of cars and badly run public transit.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-27-18, 02:34 PM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Definitely not the case in Phoenix, getting to Sky Harbor airport on bicycle would be tricky. By car it's about 5 miles from my house, on bicycle the only way I could think of is to ride completely around the airport to the far side and ride the "sky train" in. So 5 minutes drive (Uber or taxi is what I usually do) or at least an hour on the bicycle plus waiting for and riding that train. I've thought of riding my motorcycle to the airport but I wouldn't trust it parked out there for a day or more, and I'd be terrified to leave my bicycle at the airport even if I did figure out a way to get in.
Old 11-27-18, 02:41 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by noglider
@acidfast7, you have many choices. Others don't.

And getting into NYC from any of the three major airports is a hassle, though from EWR is less so, oddly enough.

One thing I like about bike commuting is that my travel time is very predictable. This means I don't need to add a buffer of ten minutes or whatever, which saves me time. That's part of the appeal of getting out of cars and badly run public transit.
I don't know, I feel that most people do have choices, which is why they built public transport. I'd wager that roughly 30M people (more than 50% of England) have similar access to London's five big airports and some other local variants. It's probably the same with Germany (I always need to use to Google flights when deciding to my into Munich, Stuttgart or Memmingen.)

Also, I found getting into Manhattan from JFK a piece of cake with the AirTrain and LIRR why on earth would I mess with anything else.
Old 11-27-18, 02:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I've visited Europe a few times. Public transit is much better there than here, and I live where in NYC where it is better than most of the country.

But I agree that cycling to an airport is an unlikely thing for a huge number of airports, so I agree with your major premise. Just for fun, I asked The Goog about bike routes to EWR, LGA, and JFK. It gave me routes to EWR and LGA. The one to EWR was one that I know to be horrific, but there it is. The LGA one looks OK. It said that there is no bike route to JFK which I will take on face value. And the distance is pretty crazy, too, so it's just as well.

Old 11-27-18, 03:17 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
from downtown chicago, one could conceivably ride a bike to midway airport (MDW). it'd be about a 9 mile ride all the way down archer ave. (which has bike lanes) and MDW's terminal is street-side, right along cicero avenue. but the CTA's orange line goes right from downtown to the back of MDW's terminal building, so that would certainly be the path of least resistance to get out to MDW for someone trying to avoid a car.

ohare (ORD) is a much trickier animal because the giant terminal complex sits in the middle of the VAST 13 sq. mile airport, and the only public access i know of is either via the CTA's blue line or an 8 lane expressway. google seems to think that you can ride a bike on the shoulder of that expressway, but my intuition says that it's most likely illegal and most certainly dangerous. and from downtown chicago, a bike ride all the way out to ORD would be at least 90 minutes. just hop on the blue line if you don't want to deal with the linear parking lot known as the kennedy expressway.
Old 11-27-18, 03:36 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Albuquerque has a 'back' way in (Girard) with a separate bike lane and bike racks. I live a mile away so I walk.
Old 11-27-18, 04:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Here in Sacramento - capital city of the biggest state economy in the USA, terminus of the Tour of California - the light rail doesn’t go to the airport. You can connect via bus. You could get there by bike, but it’s further than an average person would like to try, I think... 13 miles from downtown and 30 miles from my home.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 11-27-18 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-28-18, 12:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Brompton, ride to the airport, fold, Check it . If You can't get a carry on deal ..

on the other end , unfold it , and ride into the city..

seen on the YT a DIY trailer to tow your gear ..

Not commuting anywhere myself . but I got one of the limited production run

Of Carry Freedom's City bike trailers .. a folding bike trailer for a folding bike..

Old 11-28-18, 01:03 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I bought my Bike Friday in '94 with the idea that I could conveniently take it with me on business trips. It allowed me to explore new cities much better than would be possible by rental car. I usually took other means of transportation to/from the airport, but did bicycle to airports in Oakland, San Francisco, London, Toronto, Las Vegas, and Detroit. Easy to carry my luggage using the Bike Friday trailer. Put a big carry-on bag with my other luggage inside the suitcase/trailer. Then upon arrival at the airport fold up the bike & trailer and put them in the suitcase to be checked while I board the plane with the carry-on bag.
Old 11-28-18, 02:20 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
I'd like to check a folder on a flight sometime, to have a bike to get around with at my destination. Don't have a folder to try it out yet, although my dad has one that I might be able to borrow.

I've ridden with friends on Harbor Dr in San Diego right past the airport, that was fine. But negotiating the ramps to get into the terminals might be a little dicey. Besides, I live like 30mi from the airport, so it would be hard to carry any reasonable amount of luggage.
Old 11-28-18, 02:55 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by RubeRad
so it would be hard to carry any reasonable amount of luggage.
Backpack. 20L is enough for a week of travel!
Old 11-28-18, 03:13 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Depends.

As in, maybe, if you are not packing a change of underwear for each day, but plan to purchase locally: Depends
Old 11-28-18, 03:22 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Depends.

As in, maybe, if you are not packing a change of underwear for each day, but plan to purchase locally: Depends
Nah. I usually get 7 pairs for (under)pants, two pairs of trousers, 10 pairs of socks, 3 shirts and and an extra blazer into by 20 L pack. Plus a book, passport, phone, charger, rMBP, headphones. And I usually ride the bike to the station and lock it up and take the train to the airport. If needed, I wear my fancypants new rain jacket on top.
Old 11-28-18, 03:45 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure how many liters my backpack is. For a 2-3 day business trip I am always able to easily pack everything into a standard carryon.
Old 11-28-18, 03:54 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure how many liters my backpack is. For a 2-3 day business trip I am always able to easily pack everything into a standard carryon.
A backpack that fits under the seat. A standard carry-on should be around 7-14 days with gifts for the hosts/gifts for us back.
Old 11-28-18, 05:59 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I live in a small city and one could easily ride into the airport. The main road approaching it has good bike lanes and the road into the terminal is short and low speed. And there's a bike rack at one end of the terminal. I don't know that anyone actually does this though. I expect the bike rack is largely used by employees.
Old 11-29-18, 01:20 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
Getting to LGA isn't actually that bad. The NYC Century takes you on a route that goes around LGA, and there is easy access to Terminal A. Terminal C/D where Delta is wouldn't be too bad, I've seen airport employees walk in from the outside, crossing the same bridge the century uses to get over the highway. Terminal B is a mess right now due to the construction. For JFK, it is easy to get into the long term parking and then take the airtrain from there.

Would I do it myself? Nah.
Old 11-29-18, 06:15 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Can’t imagine cycling to Logan like the guy in the article. Salt Lake City has a network of bike trails, incl. one that goes right to the airport terminal.
Old 11-29-18, 09:47 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by zacster
Getting to LGA isn't actually that bad. The NYC Century takes you on a route that goes around LGA, and there is easy access to Terminal A. Terminal C/D where Delta is wouldn't be too bad, I've seen airport employees walk in from the outside, crossing the same bridge the century uses to get over the highway. Terminal B is a mess right now due to the construction. For JFK, it is easy to get into the long term parking and then take the airtrain from there.

Would I do it myself? Nah.
Yeah LGA by bike could be better than by car, but the trouble is, I usually have more baggage than my bike carries. And my wife, whom I usually travel with, would not be willing to do it by bike. Getting to and from LGA by car is a nightmare. And the bus isn't much better, as we've done that.

Old 11-29-18, 10:07 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
How are they dealing with bicycle security. I've ridden to the train station a few times, and they highly recommend that a person NOT park a bike at the train station overnight.

The Eugene airport should be accessible, but is a bit of distance out of town. I'm also out of town, but it would be a 25 to 30 mile ride for me.

The St. Louis airport is getting built up around. I got tired of taxis, so I could walk to the St. Louis airport in an hour or so when I was there. Unfortunately the sidewalks were miserable around it.

A lot depends on the airport and destination. When I flew into the Kansas City airport, my destination was Overland Park, and it was a significant drive from the north side of the city to the south. I could imagine cycling would be tough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.