Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stopping to take photos - doesn't it mess up your ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Stopping to take photos - doesn't it mess up your ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-18, 05:16 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Riding the bike for fun once in a while is good for the soul. Stop and smell the roses, and take a picture, or just enjoy the view.
When I'm riding with a purpose or with a group, I understand wanting to "stay in the groove".
Old 12-03-18, 05:42 PM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts

If I'd kept riding, I'd been swimming.
Old 12-03-18, 05:53 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Nice!

Originally Posted by Tusk

If I'd kept riding, I'd been swimming.
Great pic!
Old 12-03-18, 06:00 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
It's simple. You climb the mountain until you reach the end of the Strava segment, then roll back to the overlook you passed to get the view.

Old 12-03-18, 06:02 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts

Old 12-03-18, 06:41 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I don't usually stop for photos, on a local , hard training ride. Pedal to the metal...... But when I'm on a fun ride, I'm always looking for something to add to Instagram. KB.
Old 12-03-18, 06:58 PM
reishi

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
There are so many great sights and scenes on every ride.. That I'd be stopping way too much if I wanted to shoot every unique photo worthy sight that calls me. I've been appreciating them in my mind more lately and less photo taking. Maybe it's just colder now and I don't want to stop or slow down or my sweat will freeze. That's probably it. I love taking photos.
Old 12-03-18, 09:02 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I ride with a pretty fast group. They already wait for me enough.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 12-03-18, 10:24 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I take most photos on the move with a pocket camera.

Quality isn't fantastic, but occasionally get something good,

it's mostly snapshots for BF & Strava.

Old 12-03-18, 11:26 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Stop? Most my pics are also on the fly. Point and shoot camera is much easier to handle than an awkward rectangular cell phone cam and trying to push a digital shoot button on the screen.
Old 12-04-18, 02:59 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I am seeing a lot of great photography here of open roads, bikes with graffiti, etc. Very inspirational and I'm always glad when you post those images.

During my ride(s) I often come across scenes I'd like to shoot. Trouble is my phone is in my back pocket, in my pouch. If I want to take the photo it would really mess with my ride, in as much I'd have to stop the 'groove' I'm in, take the photo, and then get going again. So because of that, I more often than not just blow past the scene and leave it at that.

How does stopping for photos impact your rides? When do you decide to stop? Will you always stop if there is a good scene to capture? Do you find it difficult to get back in to a rhythm after you're stopped and cooled down a bit to take your image?

Cheers.
Some of my rides are "picture-taking rides" aka "recovery rides". So I might do a training ride or event ride where I wouldn't take very many pictures, but then I might ride that route again and take photos.

And I've got my point-and-shoot in my handlebar bag so I can take photos while I ride.
Old 12-04-18, 05:32 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Yeah, same here, point-and-shoot in the bag. If I bring it it's because I gave myself permission to dawdle and shoot pictures. If I don't bring it, it's not that kind of ride.
Old 12-04-18, 05:42 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
When I ride by myself or in usual group rides, I'm horrible about taking pictures - I just don't like stopping. In multi-day touring rides, or biking with my wife, there are usually more stops and more pictures.

The one time I regret this: two years ago I biked on Going to the Sun Road in Glacier Park, up to Logan Pass, when the road was still being plowed and closed to cars but open to bikes. I wanted to do it without stopping, so didn't take a single picture on the way up. On the way back down, you are going too fast to want to stop or try to take pictures on the fly. I have great mental images of that ride - would like to have a few shots of the waterfalls, mountain goats, and other incredible views.
Old 12-04-18, 08:24 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Taken on a ride in Ireland with a DSLR, while on a tour. Stopped, pulled the camera out of the front bag, took it out of the plastic, changed lenses, turned it on and shot two pictures. If the subjects had not stayed put, I would have been devastated. On fun rides in new places I almost always take the big camera along in a backpack and look for places to shoot. My memory ain't that good anymore.

Old 12-04-18, 09:08 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
I am seeing a lot of great photography here of open roads, bikes with graffiti, etc. Very inspirational and I'm always glad when you post those images.

During my ride(s) I often come across scenes I'd like to shoot. Trouble is my phone is in my back pocket, in my pouch. If I want to take the photo it would really mess with my ride, in as much I'd have to stop the 'groove' I'm in, take the photo, and then get going again. So because of that, I more often than not just blow past the scene and leave it at that.

How does stopping for photos impact your rides? When do you decide to stop? Will you always stop if there is a good scene to capture? Do you find it difficult to get back in to a rhythm after you're stopped and cooled down a bit to take your image?

Cheers.
Thanks for posting this question NW! It has caused me to think a little more about how this applies to me personally. When I was new to cycling, I really didn't stop for anything except designated stops on group rides. A few years back my youngest daughter went to North Carolina for several months (I live in northern Utah) and I wanted to begin sending her scenic ride photos of home. Since then I have tried to continue capturing photos to include with my logged rides. Strava has made it really easy to do that, and ride journaling is primarily what I use Strava for.

So, as far as stopping to take photos I try to do that, but those stops are usually very brief (I just use my phone and keep it in my jersey pocket) and are often taken at the top of a hill, or on a descent. Sometimes I'll stop during a big climb. I have found that it really isn't disruptive to most of my riding at all. I won't stop during a structured workout (which I do a lot of) but stopping to take quick snapshots has been a very enriching addition to my riding when it is reasonable to briefly put a foot down. I am fortunate to live and ride in a beautiful place, and I now think that it would be a shame to not record some of the visual aspects of what I do.

Here is last Saturday's ride. It snowed quite a lot Saturday night and Sunday so it was probably my last outside ride until February. I'm glad I stopped to take that photo because it gives me something to picture in my mind while I'm sweating it out in the basement...

Last edited by Clipped_in; 12-04-18 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-04-18, 09:30 AM
bikecrate

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Most of my rides are in "beautiful Tampa" (*cough - cough*) so there isn't much to take pictures of. I will stop for something out of the ordinary or if I take a break. I like to take pictures when I'm on vacation. I have a small Topeak bag that mounts on top of my stem and is the perfect size for a little point and shoot camera. Very easy to whip out while riding.
Old 12-04-18, 10:37 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I'm less likely to make a hard stop on a road bike. cuz usually it's not as pretty as off-road, I might be near traffic & so stopping would be disruptive. on the road if I see something interesting or worth sharing it might be a sign, traffic feature, road defect or maybe I want a selfie. that's where a dedicated sportcam, mounted on the bars or helmet with a quick release comes in handy. I can do a screen grab from the video later. or, if it's not running at the time, I can quickly hit the still image button. or slide it off the mount, take a vid clip or still pic, then snap it back in the mount, all while moving

pics while moving aren't as high a quality as stopped. I do like to make "motion" photos tho & no stopping is required

when I'm off-road, I'm more likely to stop even tho I also take moving pics. when I'm off road there tends to be more stuff that catch my eye, & I'm more willing to linger & enjoy the moment

I've juggled as many as 3 cameras, phone, sportcam & digital pocket camera

on a long off-road ride this summer, I stopped a lot, took a lot of photos & the ride took a really long time. so long in fact, I opted to take a taxi back to my car (bike in taxi trunk). then a cpl months later I went back to do the same ride & I was a man on a mission, not stopping except for rare pit stops & was able to do the whole 42+ off road miles successfully w/o a taxi ;-)

I've had a fall I can blame on 1-handed riding, so I have to be vigilant not to be so cavalier again ...

so instead of using your phone, you might like to get an easy to handle sportcam w a quick release mount
Old 12-04-18, 10:39 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by tigat
Taken on a ride in Ireland with a DSLR, while on a tour. Stopped, pulled the camera out of the front bag, took it out of the plastic, changed lenses, turned it on and shot two pictures. If the subjects had not stayed put, I would have been devastated
just gorgeous!
Old 12-04-18, 11:07 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Argh! So I just wrote a nice long post only to have it get zapped up/lost by the system. Suffice to say here are the Coles notes.

1. This post has inspired me to stop and take some photos when on a solo ride. Maybe not every ride, but more than I've been doing now.
2. There are some great images here; thanks for sharing

But how do you know when to stop? For example you're in the groove. Cadence is flying. You're putting out watts. Life is grand. For me I have a hard time stopping. I mean I want to stop. But then I worry my whole workout will be trashed.

Anyway What are you guys doing with all of your images?
Old 12-04-18, 11:22 AM
prathmann

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Anyway What are you guys doing with all of your images?
I put my group ride photos up on a site called triptrack.org and send the link to the group. Photos are a mix of ones taken when we regroup at stops but many are taken while riding and holding the camera over my shoulder. Here's an example from last summer:
https://triptrack.org/8291
and a sunny day loop around San Francisco:
https://triptrack.org/7505
Old 12-04-18, 12:16 PM
rumrunn6

how do you know when to stop?
trial & error I guess. try a few & see how you feel about it. if it makes you happy you're on track. if you're stopping too much then don't as much & stay happy. I recently asked my 91 yr old Dad a similar question (while helping him go thru stuff cluttering his house) about taking so many pics over the years. "if we take so many & never look at them, or only when we come across them, then what's the point?" he said to what? I said "to anything". he said: "if it makes you happy" old guys know stuff
Old 12-04-18, 12:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
I nearly wiped out when I slammed on the brakes so I could stop, dismount, get out my camera and catch this fellow before he disappeared into the flora. I must have spooked him as I approached because I head a giant splash and then saw him swimming across the creek. Notice the ripples in the water. Pine Creek Trail in PA.

Old 12-04-18, 12:40 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by jpescatore

The one time I regret this: two years ago I biked on Going to the Sun Road in Glacier Park, up to Logan Pass, when the road was still being plowed and closed to cars but open to bikes. I wanted to do it without stopping, so didn't take a single picture on the way up. On the way back down, you are going too fast to want to stop or try to take pictures on the fly. I have great mental images of that ride - would like to have a few shots of the waterfalls, mountain goats, and other incredible views.
Here you go. Took them going down during the spring of 2017. BTW...When I started up the road was still closed to cars and was supposed to stay that way for at least the day. Somewhere before the Loop I thought I heard an engine back down in the valley. Figured it was a maintenance vehicle. A few minutes later a ranger pulled alongside and told me the road was now open to cars and that I had to finish the climb by 11 a.m. Traffic wasn't bad on the way up because people didn't get advance notice of the opening. Going down was a different story. But the nice thing is that you can take the lane because bikes can go faster than cars on the west slope.

Last edited by indyfabz; 12-04-18 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 12:49 PM
indyfabz

Sometimes you encounter things that make you stop so you might as well take a photo.

Old 12-04-18, 05:23 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I do take photos when I'm at a rest point. I just don't stop to take them. I am thinking I will start doing that though.

And to answer my own question, I've bee adding the photos to Garmin Connect as part of my rides.

@indyfabz love those photos! Brought back memories of the wife and I driving that pass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.