Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Grinder bike thefts can be very fast

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-13-18, 05:27 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Video of a grinder bike theft. Eight seconds, two streaks of light and it's gone. I wish news reports would give some information regarding the type of lock -- that would be helpful.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...heft-1.4944326
Old 12-13-18, 06:09 PM
Payton1221

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow. I use an angle grinder in my garage, but I didn't know that battery operated ones were available until just googling it now. Incredible.

I'd say it was a very cheap lock because I don't think my electric one could cut through a quality lock or cable in that short period of time.
Old 12-13-18, 07:12 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I've just posted the same link, not realizing that you got there before me.
Old 12-13-18, 08:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Don't buy cheap crappy locks, kids! Also learn how to lock your bike and practice good locking, always. Yes there is no theft proof lock but if you are the best locked around the thieves are going to go for the easier targets.
Old 12-14-18, 01:09 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Kryptonite's top end Fahgettaboudit - 01:10s -

It's interesting how car theft has become so unusual though isn't it? Haven't known anyone in the last decade to have their car stolen and not show up again - when cars rarely get stolen it usually seems to be bored punk kids who drive the car around then leave it at the other end of town where it's recovered.
Old 12-14-18, 01:19 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is kind of like understanding how IT security works....

you just want to make it hard enough to deter since true security is non-existent. You hope you deterred well enough to force them onto the next easiest theft.
Old 12-14-18, 01:38 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
It's interesting how car theft has become so unusual though isn't it? Haven't known anyone in the last decade to have their car stolen and not show up again - when cars rarely get stolen it usually seems to be bored punk kids who drive the car around then leave it at the other end of town where it's recovered.
Likely what we need is mandatory licensing and registration for bicycles. And, nobody wants that, in part because registration typically also includes taxation. Lifetime registration for the cost of doing the paperwork? National networking of registrations?

Also, bike theft needs to be taken very seriously. Felonies and jail time. Bait Bikes? Convince stores to start adding high resolution security cameras of their customer's property.

Theft of safety equipment? Component theft?

What about abandoned property?
Old 12-14-18, 01:44 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://project529.com/garage

We use this in BC, its free with every bike purchase for bike registration.
Old 12-14-18, 11:19 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As stated in another thread - 500,000 bicycles stolen per year in Holland. 90% into containers headed for the 3rd world. Sorry, I don't get Europe indifference to the issue ...

Sort of hate to say it because I like good looking bikes, but the best deterrent is rust and graffiti ... Make it look bad with mis-matched wheels, stickers, and rattle can paint; and they'll prolly just leave it alone ...
Old 12-14-18, 11:44 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BrocLuno
As stated in another thread - 500,000 bicycles stolen per year in Holland. .
That number is only a bit over four times the actual number of annual bike thefts in the Netherlands (a bit over 100,000, which isn't that horrid given that bike ownership in the Netherlands is over four times per capita that of the USA, and 24% of Dutch people ride a bike daily.

Just because someone said it on the internet doesn't make it so....
Old 12-14-18, 11:46 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Actually it was reported in a Rotterdam paper two years ago when I was there ...
Old 12-15-18, 12:10 AM
prathmann

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 124Spider
That number is only a bit over four times the actual number of annual bike thefts in the Netherlands (a bit over 100,000, which isn't that horrid given that bike ownership in the Netherlands is over four times per capita that of the USA, and 24% of Dutch people ride a bike daily.

Just because someone said it on the internet doesn't make it so....
Your number is based on thefts which were entered into official police reports while the higher number (~500,000) is estimated based on public surveys which asked whether they had a bike stolen and whether they had reported it to the police.
Old 12-15-18, 12:17 AM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Your number is based on thefts which were entered into official police reports while the higher number (~500,000) is estimated based on public surveys which asked whether they had a bike stolen and whether they had reported it to the police.
Could be, I guess. I'm skeptical.
Old 12-15-18, 06:32 AM
BrocLuno

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In either case, it's a BIG number.

When I suggested they start equipping seat posts with 12 ga shells and smart firing pins linked to owners as a deterrent, they got all bent out of shape! But something needs doing ...
Old 12-15-18, 09:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ir's a cost of living in a big city... part of a "bicycle culture" is Theft...
Old 12-16-18, 09:22 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Don't buy cheap crappy locks, kids! Also learn how to lock your bike and practice good locking, always. Yes there is no theft proof lock but if you are the best locked around the thieves are going to go for the easier targets.
If they want your bike, they'll take it.

People angle grinder locks in broad day light and crowded city streets, and get away with it. The best locks money can buy when properly used are only a minor anoyance to thieves who have the tools and want your bike.
Old 12-16-18, 09:47 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 212 Posts
Outlawing Bike thieves

The problem of bike theft is a human issue, not a material or technological one. There are a couple of options to minimize bike theft. One option is outlawing bike thieves. That is, they receive no legal protection or rights while engaged in the act of bike theft. Harsh perhaps but the position could be adopted on a trial model in some state with a prolific bike theft problem. Thieves would be taking their lives into their own hands. Think of something akin to double indemnity - you can't be charged for killing the same person twice. People commit murder in Texas anyways despite capital punishment, but I wonder what the rate would be if Texas didn't impose that penalty.

Just some pleasant Sunday morning thinking...
Old 12-16-18, 11:33 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
The problem of bike theft is a human issue, not a material or technological one. There are a couple of options to minimize bike theft. One option is outlawing bike thieves. That is, they receive no legal protection or rights while engaged in the act of bike theft. Harsh perhaps but the position could be adopted on a trial model in some state with a prolific bike theft problem. Thieves would be taking their lives into their own hands. Think of something akin to double indemnity - you can't be charged for killing the same person twice. People commit murder in Texas anyways despite capital punishment, but I wonder what the rate would be if Texas didn't impose that penalty.
Actually, because of an old 'anti-cattle rustling' law still on the books, a grand jury would probably no bill you for killing someone stealing your bike at night in Texas.

No whar but Texas.

Old 12-16-18, 12:06 PM
BrocLuno

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think the thing to do is make your commuter bike as ugly as possible. Pink paint from a rattle can, stickers, mismatched wheel colors, etc. If it looks ugly and lame, they'll prolly leave it alone.

Don't commute on your $6K mountain bike, or eBike. But, then what's the point of an eBike ...
Old 12-16-18, 03:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
If they want your bike, they'll take it.

People angle grinder locks in broad day light and crowded city streets, and get away with it. The best locks money can buy when properly used are only a minor annoyance to thieves who have the tools and want your bike.
True but it is still good to have a good lock and good locking practices for the times there aren't the super brazen thieves who will just start cutting right then and there. Most of the time that is not the case though some areas people don't care and aren't stopping these jackholes so they are allowed to flourish.
Old 12-16-18, 07:59 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Don't commute on your $6K mountain bike, or eBike. But, then what's the point of an eBike ...
If you look at the video and others like it, you'll see the bike stolen are ALL out in plain view! This is why I lock my bike away from foot traffic if possible. The crooks can't steal your bike if they can't find it. Show me a video of where someone with an grinder finds a bike in a hidden location? Trust me when I say this, no one is going to protect your bike or even call the police when your bike is under attack in full view of hundreds of people. Even if it's in front of a police station. No one!

On a different topic, this is the reason why e-bikes won't catch on in the US because who's going to spend 2-4K on a bike that can be stolen in under 2 minutes or less?
Old 12-16-18, 08:07 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
If you look at the video and others like it, you'll see the bike stolen are ALL out in plain view! This is why I lock my bike away from foot traffic if possible. The crooks can't steal your bike if they can't find it. Show me a video of where someone with an grinder finds a bike in a hidden location? Trust me when I say this, no one is going to protect your bike or even call the police when your bike is under attack in full view of hundreds of people. Even if it's in front of a police station. No one!

On a different topic, this is the reason why e-bikes won't catch on in the US because who's going to spend 2-4K on a bike that can be stolen in under 2 minutes or less?
Well usually....bikes in more hidden areas lack any surveillance whatsoever. The lack of video footage of thefts taking place in areas generally without video surveillance doesn't really prove thefts aren't common.
Old 12-16-18, 08:11 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
It seems as if there is another thread elsewhere about this same topic and video, perhaps they can be merged?
Old 12-17-18, 09:03 AM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
As stated in another thread - 500,000 bicycles stolen per year in Holland. 90% into containers headed for the 3rd world. Sorry, I don't get Europe indifference to the issue ...

Sort of hate to say it because I like good looking bikes, but the best deterrent is rust and graffiti ... Make it look bad with mis-matched wheels, stickers, and rattle can paint; and they'll prolly just leave it alone ...
Agree highly, ugly looking, no glitz, and mismatched, odds are way better it will be left alone. Everyone needs a good beater bike for urban or high risk use.
Old 12-17-18, 10:06 AM
PaulRivers

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
New theory: bike theft only happens in areas covered by video recording, thus video recording is what causes bike thefts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.