Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket Seized

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bottom Bracket Seized

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 01:05 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Bottom Bracket Seized

The left pedal didn't drop.

First of all, don't worry, my bike has been repaired. This thread deals with the donor-bike, [FROM] which I obtained the triple JIS crankset.
'What's wrong with this picture?' Should be the caption; you might have missed it, but the left crank arm is sticking up, when gravity should have brought it down. The bottom bracket is seized, something I don't recall ever happening before. Also, somewhat ludicrously , the chain still has the round shape of the chainring, it's completely rusted.
I'm Not sure if this bike has a freewheel or cassette, but it is seven speeds, and if it's cassette, I want it...
I reused the bottom bracket and ball bearings-1 (from my regular daily rider bike) , cleaned it up, regreased with red grease.

My hunch is that this bike had an accident, that the rider wiped out, and probably gave up riding for a while...

My Question is : can Rust cause a Bottom Bracket to Seize ? Or does the bike have to be hit by a car ?

Last edited by hotbike; 04-08-19 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-08-19, 01:26 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Man. Well first things first, grab a chain breaker and yank that chain outta there.

If the chain condition is any indication, my guess is the grease has emulsified & caked up from moisture intrusion, age, & weather. The drive side loosens clockwise.

It might be just fine if you can get it out of there to clean up. A BB-UN55 is super cheap, long lasting & sealed if you didn't want to go to the trouble of cleaning/repacking the old one.
Old 04-08-19, 01:45 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Yes, I will simply chuck that chain, it can't be salvaged.

Anyway , this is a DONOR bike, I plan to save everything that can be saved, to keep my other bikes running.

The pedal on the floor there, that is also seized. I don't use plastic pedals so that doesn't concern me.

The wheels, unfortunately do not have stainless spokes. But they will make serviceable spares.

Brakes are cantilever, and I generally replace cantilevers with Vee brakes.

I have to take a closer look at the Derailleurs.

The actual problem was, my daily rider needed a new triple , the LBS happened to have only Campagnolo cranks is stock, which has a square BB, so I figured it would fit...
It did fit, BUT Campy BB has a different TAPER ... so it didn't go on all the way... So the past few months, I've been riding in the small and medium chainrings, could NOT shift onto the large ring.
This solved the mismatch. I now have a Campy crankset for sale, real cheap (it black anodized).
Old 04-08-19, 01:56 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Yes, absolutely! Bearings get moisture and rust solid when not maintained just like any other metal. Like Base2 mentioned, go with sealed bottom bracket bearings, they never rust and last almost forever without needing any kind of adjustments along the way. The last donor I took apart that was rusted up bad included the free wheel and cassette being virtually unusable. Good luck.
Old 04-08-19, 02:39 PM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Why not strip the BB to see? i had a bike in the same condition due to it was completely rusted out inside there
Old 04-08-19, 02:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bottom Bracket Seized

Remove it and put something new in

need tools to remove 1 and different ones to put replacement in.. ,
if you want to use a Shimano style cartridge BB..
which are so cheap (un 26) no reason to not ..

Old 04-08-19, 04:47 PM
hotbike

Congealed Grease and Rust

Son of a gun, you were correct , Base2 !
Old 04-08-19, 05:33 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Naaa, that will buff right out!
Old 04-08-19, 08:39 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by hillrider
naaa, that will buff right out! :d

diddo~
Old 04-08-19, 09:06 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Ditto 3
Chuckle

And I just last week put in a un-26 into an old bike that wasn't as bad as this BB but for the 20 bucks, a sealed unit is just a no brainer.
Old 04-08-19, 09:40 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
All I would do is squirt some WD40 on it and it will be good Andy
Old 04-09-19, 07:27 AM
hotbike

Everything on this bike is stiff or seized . Everything .
​​​​​​​
Old 04-09-19, 09:22 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
And next the SEATPOST and headset. If that is what the BB looks like you might want to look at the inside of the
seat tube and consider what the rest of the tubing looks like apart from the bearings. BB threads could use a
stiff steel brushing and maybe a BB tap run through to clean out the threads.
Old 04-09-19, 09:28 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike

Congealed Grease and Rust

Son of a gun, you were correct , Base2 !
Awesome! I guess it happens every once in a while. I should go buy a lottery ticket! :wink:

Last edited by base2; 04-09-19 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-09-19, 09:35 AM
hotbike

Originally Posted by sch
And next the SEATPOST and headset. If that is what the BB looks like you might want to look at the inside of the
seat tube and consider what the rest of the tubing looks like apart from the bearings. BB threads could use a
stiff steel brushing and maybe a BB tap run through to clean out the threads.
Seat post is seized. I want to save the seat for a Trek 930 that came with this bike, but was used more, and was a mens model.
I need some WD40 .
I was using spray can lithium grease, doesn't penetrate well.
The rear wheel rotates, but makes a lot of noise. The QR's are opened, but nothing's budging .
Brakes were seized, I've never had luck with rusted brakes, I buy new ones.
I don't want this frame, I don't know, maybe a wire brush would save the threads, but there is a lot of rust inside the tubes.
I was optimistic on account of the paint, no scratches, no peeling, no blistering...
Old 04-09-19, 09:38 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Kroil or an ATF/acetone mix will penetrate far better then any grease (which is formulated to not penetrate or migrate). Andy
Old 04-09-19, 02:23 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I see chains like that all the time, the trick is to get them off in one piece, and holding the shape of the drive train. I don't see BB's that bad that often. Was this dropped in the Sound?
Old 04-09-19, 02:28 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
I see chains like that all the time, the trick is to get them off in one piece, and holding the shape of the drive train. I don't see BB's that bad that often. Was this dropped in the Sound?
Not unusual in our neck of the woods. We accept all used bikes for donation, rebuilding and distribution. Some even looked worse then that

Some we can get going others are scrapped for parts.

Old 04-09-19, 02:30 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by leob1
What is the point of getting them off in one piece, they are toast, unless you are creating some type of abstract art exhibit.

A good bolt cutter makes short work of those fully rusted chains

Old 04-09-19, 02:32 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by HillRider

Old 04-09-19, 03:17 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
The important question is for what model of @hotbike leading edge aero designs will the parts be used for? Pics please

Old 04-09-19, 03:42 PM
hotbike

M318 Fairing

The crankset had to be put on the bike with the Model 318 Fairing. Pardon the appearance of the barn floor with the straw. I wasn't able to use the big ring of the Campy triple, the Italians have a square taper BB
, but the taper is maybe 0.2mm thicker, so I couldnt use the big ring...
this is my everyday bike, and the panniers carry tools for brush cutting. A little bit of brush cutting in the right places abrogates the need for a Bike Lane. It is strenuous, most people don't do brush cutting as a hobby...
i have other bikes that are perfectly good, for use as spares. The 317 has a neat Tail Box, much more aero than the 318 panniers. But the 317 Front Fairing is much bulkier, and less aerodynamic . I have further improved the Fairing with Integral Panniers concept on the 219. A couple of reasons I changed the first digit from 3 to 2 , it went retro to the prototype 2, which was made of sheet aluminum , not fiberglass.
Keep in mind I use right angles, where any designer could've pickef a random number of radians for stylistic purposes . I want to have the ergo dynamics correct as well as the aerodynamics .
Originally Posted by squirtdad
The important question is for what model of @hotbike leading edge aero designs will the parts be used for? Pics please
Old 04-09-19, 03:51 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike

M318 Fairing

The crankset had to be put on the bike with the Model 318 Fairing. Pardon the appearance of the barn floor with the straw. I wasn't able to use the big ring of the Campy triple, the Italians have a square taper BB
, but the taper is maybe 0.2mm thicker, so I couldnt use the big ring...
this is my everyday bike, and the panniers carry tools for brush cutting. A little bit of brush cutting in the right places abrogates the need for a Bike Lane. It is strenuous, most people don't do brush cutting as a hobby...
i have other bikes that are perfectly good, for use as spares. The 317 has a neat Tail Box, much more aero than the 318 panniers. But the 317 Front Fairing is much bulkier, and less aerodynamic . I have further improved the Fairing with Integral Panniers concept on the 219. A couple of reasons I changed the first digit from 3 to 2 , it went retro to the prototype 2, which was made of sheet aluminum , not fiberglass.
Keep in mind I use right angles, where any designer could've pickef a random number of radians for stylistic purposes . I want to have the ergo dynamics correct as well as the aerodynamics .
Thanks for the pics.....as always am in awe of your design ethos

Brush cutting? who would have thought? Maybe the next design can have a chaine powered brush cutter in front of the bike.....combine both hobbies and leave many trails for others