Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Yard sale find; '85 Super Le Tour!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-20-19, 10:21 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts

for $5! (and, a bontrager privateer, to top it off...also $5). i was thrilled, for sure, but not clued really to the schwinn's exact "virtues". so, i did some web digging and i'm pretty pleased. as well, i found a direct replacement fd right away since the original is busted.
now, the bike needs a fair amount of cleaning up along with some fresh pads and at some point some bar tape, but the frame itself has some surface rust where the paint has been chipped/scratched. what's a good way to go about taking care of this to treat it and bring some luster back to the paint?
Old 07-21-19, 07:45 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
85 super le tour, nice pickup. For your frame I would wash with something like windex w/ vinegar, then I'd try a light solvent wd 40 perhaps, or motor oil. Car wax does pretty good on rust stain, but if the paint is still dull I'd try rubbing compound.
Old 07-21-19, 11:39 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
I bought an '86 Schwinn Prelude a couple years ago with dulled paint and slightly faded decals, it also had some scratches with light rust. I gave it a good cleaning and rubbed down the rusty areas with Never Dull. I then washed it down with rubbing alcohol to remove all the wax, oils and solvents and gave it 2 coats of Krylon clear. It brought the shine back and brought out the color in the decals. It will also help preserve the paint and decals, I didn't touch up the scratches, I left them. I like bikes with "history" and they were part of that. The pictures don't show the difference very well but in person it was quite dramatic. The faded decal was on the other side of the top tube so you can't see the difference on that either but it looked much better after the clear coat.

Before:

After:

Old 07-21-19, 11:52 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
85 super le tour, nice pickup. For your frame I would wash with something like windex w/ vinegar, then I'd try a light solvent wd 40 perhaps, or motor oil. Car wax does pretty good on rust stain, but if the paint is still dull I'd try rubbing compound.
thanks!!

so, basically ammonia with vinegar? and, solvent/wd40? just on the spots of rust, right?

the paint i think just really dusty and not too oxidized. i'll try the washing first and then wax to help protect. but, i can't imagine wax doing well on the spots where there's a solvent...ie wd40. wouldn't really stick
Old 07-22-19, 12:08 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
I bought an '86 Schwinn Prelude a couple years ago with dulled paint and slightly faded decals, it also had some scratches with light rust. I gave it a good cleaning and rubbed down the rusty areas with Never Dull. I then washed it down with rubbing alcohol to remove all the wax, oils and solvents and gave it 2 coats of Krylon clear. It brought the shine back and brought out the color in the decals. It will also help preserve the paint and decals, I didn't touch up the scratches, I left them. I like bikes with "history" and they were part of that. The pictures don't show the difference very well but in person it was quite dramatic. The faded decal was on the other side of the top tube so you can't see the difference on that either but it looked much better after the clear coat.

nice job on the resto!!

i'll have to see if a local auto store has the nevr dull. i did look it up and read mostly good reports on it. there is a fair amount of surface rust around the bottom bracket and on the pedals. everywhere else is pretty light, though
Old 07-22-19, 12:11 AM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts
My '77 SLT
Old 07-22-19, 12:18 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

on second thought, i may do some buffing and the clear coat. apparently the frame is clear coated from the factory, according to the catalog. maybe could use a refresh!
Old 07-22-19, 12:20 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
My '77 SLT
wow! that's beautiful! did it come with cyclone mechs originally?
Old 07-22-19, 12:33 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

hey...do you guys think i could swap out cages on the rear derailleur? it came with a cyclone-s and short cage. but, the sugino gp crank has mounts for a granny ring, so i'm going to swap out the bottom bracket and make it a triple. i'd like to, anyway
Old 07-22-19, 01:10 AM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by thook
wow! that's beautiful! did it come with cyclone mechs originally?
​​​​​​Yup. What you see is what I got. I'm selling this on eBay now and it's got more pictures. All I did was pull it apart, clean and polish it and add the usual consumables.
Old 07-22-19, 01:17 AM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Try some rubbing compound. Easiest way to bring back a finish. I use Meguiars Ultimate Compound. If you like, follow that up with a wax containing sealants to hide any minor imperfections and add further gloss
Old 07-22-19, 01:24 AM
Cycle Tourist

hey...do you guys think i could swap out cages on the rear derailleur? it came with a cyclone-s and short cage. but, the sugino gp crank has mounts for a granny ring, so i'm going to swap out the bottom bracket and make it a triple. i'd like to, anyway
If the FD works with the two big rings, adding a granny "should" work as well. Why change the BB? If it's because the granny will rub on the frame then I get it. FYI sometimes getting a longer BB axle will push the big ring beyond the ability of the FD to reach and then your either looking for a FD that works, going back to the double or looking for just the right size BB axle. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it ain't.
Old 07-22-19, 03:41 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by sdn40
Try some rubbing compound. Easiest way to bring back a finish. I use Meguiars Ultimate Compound. If you like, follow that up with a wax containing sealants to hide any minor imperfections and add further gloss
thanks! yeah, i'll start with a compound and see what happens. i just started rubbing the frame with a wet finger and notice some shine coming back. main concern is the propensity for rusting. arkansas is uber humid.... particularly this time of year. i want to get the existing rust off and try to seal it, you understand.
Old 07-22-19, 03:58 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

If the FD works with the two big rings, adding a granny "should" work as well. Why change the BB? If it's because the granny will rub on the frame then I get it. FYI sometimes getting a longer BB axle will push the big ring beyond the ability of the FD to reach and then your either looking for a FD that works, going back to the double or looking for just the right size BB axle. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it ain't.
i'm sure the FD will work with a triple being of the cyclone family. by the eye, it just doesn't appear to be enough room to accommodate a granny without stay rub. i'll try, but i've got a choice of spindles of the same era that should have the right length, though; two SR's and a sugino. and, i understand what you're saying regarding pushing the spider arm out. i've run into that before on my wife's mixte

so, is your SLT a 56cm, too? mine is and had to adjust the saddle fore/aft differently than my usual position. it's about a 1cm forward. it's great, though, because even with the typical short insertion of the SR quills, the frame being taller than my usual means i can actually get the saddle to bar height nice and even without riser trickery!
Old 07-22-19, 09:38 AM
Cycle Tourist

i'm sure the FD will work with a triple being of the cyclone family. by the eye, it just doesn't appear to be enough room to accommodate a granny without stay rub. i'll try, but i've got a choice of spindles of the same era that should have the right length, though; two SR's and a sugino. and, i understand what you're saying regarding pushing the spider arm out. i've run into that before on my wife's mixte

so, is your SLT a 56cm, too? mine is and had to adjust the saddle fore/aft differently than my usual position. it's about a 1cm forward. it's great, though, because even with the typical short insertion of the SR quills, the frame being taller than my usual means i can actually get the saddle to bar height nice and even without riser trickery!
Mines a 59cm. The bikes a little small for me. I bought it as a flip. The owner wanted to sell all the components separately. That always seems wrong to me. Maybe as I get older, keeping all your original parts is more and more important.😂
Old 07-22-19, 11:51 AM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 122 Posts
Super LeTours are great bikes. Here's my 76.
Old 07-23-19, 01:56 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Mines a 59cm. The bikes a little small for me. I bought it as a flip. The owner wanted to sell all the components separately. That always seems wrong to me. Maybe as I get older, keeping all your original parts is more and more important.😂
you must be a tall'ish fella, then. it would appear, also, you on on the coast. CA? FL? don't answer if you don't want. just curious.

as for bikes, with me it depends. something like your flipper, i'd keep it together. many mass produced bikes are kinda made to part out...lol. as for the body, otoh, definitely....keep your parts!!! they're there for a reason no matter doctors say. but, that's just my opinion.
Old 07-23-19, 01:59 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by 76SLT
Super LeTours are great bikes. Here's my 76.
is the chrome fork crown actually the crown, or is it like my old "regular" le tour that has a glued on chrome cover? nice blue, btw!
Old 07-23-19, 02:01 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

oh, and has anyone a clue about the cage swap question? i've got a BL GT i'm not going to use for anything and figured i might ask before going through trouble.
Old 07-23-19, 03:49 PM
Cycle Tourist

you must be a tall'ish fella, then. it would appear, also, you on on the coast. CA? FL? don't answer if you don't want. just curious.

as for bikes, with me it depends. something like your flipper, i'd keep it together. many mass produced bikes are kinda made to part out...lol. as for the body, otoh, definitely....keep your parts!!! they're there for a reason no matter doctors say. but, that's just my opinion.
Yup. 6'3" in CA. Just bought a Panosonic sprayed black. They didn't even pull the water bottle clamps. I took all the spray paint off. Most of the parts are frankenbike. Except.
Beautiful
Old 07-23-19, 05:23 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 122 Posts
is the chrome fork crown actually the crown, or is it like my old "regular" le tour that has a glued on chrome cover? nice blue, btw!
I've never had it off so I can't say with certainty, but it looks like it's really chromed. The edges are painted blue, but it doesn't look like a chrome cap like I have on a Fuji I have.
Old 07-24-19, 09:30 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by 76SLT
I've never had it off so I can't say with certainty, but it looks like it's really chromed. The edges are painted blue, but it doesn't look like a chrome cap like I have on a Fuji I have.
yeah, that's genuinely chromed. you can see the brazing. i was just curious because i found it funny schwinn would chrome the fork blade on the le tour and then not do the crown (or simply the entire fork) and use a plastic cap instead...haha
Old 07-24-19, 09:34 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Yup. 6'3" in CA. Just bought a Panosonic sprayed black. They didn't even pull the water bottle clamps. I took all the spray paint off. Most of the parts are frankenbike. Except.
bottle clamps? as in the cages? poor panasonic!

those 600 levers are snazzy. i've got one on my keychain. i got them with a 600 derailleur set i've yet to use. i'll never use the DT levers, though. unless i can convert them to bar ends....which i've yet to figure a way to do it. i've seen web pictures years ago of a yellow early 70's dawes galaxy with them, but no clue how it was done
Old 07-24-19, 10:46 AM
Cycle Tourist

bottle clamps? as in the cages? poor panasonic!

those 600 levers are snazzy. i've got one on my keychain. i got them with a 600 derailleur set i've yet to use. i'll never use the DT levers, though. unless i can convert them to bar ends....which i've yet to figure a way to do it. i've seen web pictures years ago of a yellow early 70's dawes galaxy with them, but no clue how it was done
The clamps that hold the bottle cages.
Maybe a stem clamp could be attached to a bar end with one side devoid of the square boss and the other side sporting those nice 600 levers. You'd need two to complete the look.

a stem clamp for levers could
Old 07-25-19, 08:35 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

The clamps that hold the bottle cages.
Maybe a stem clamp could be attached to a bar end with one side devoid of the square boss and the other side sporting those nice 600 levers. You'd need two to complete the look.

a stem clamp for levers could
thanks for replying. turns out, after reviewing a thread i'd started years ago, that the 600 levers will work on regular shimano pods, but i have to get the spacers to adapt them that rivendell sells. i'd completely spaced out that little detail.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.