Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pedals and other bike parts in your carry on bag?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-19, 05:49 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

I want to fly with a couple of bike parts in my carry on bag. Pedals and a cassette could be a no fly?

I have an 8 speed cassette and some old Sram Hussefelt pedals that I need in Seattle. Bike is waiting for me in Seattle. Do they fly?

Pedals,
cassette,
lock of some kind,
I have many of these things, if they fly I do not have to buy another one in Seattle.
Anyone done this and know what TSA says?
I bought an older Hardrock at the charity shop in Seattle, $29. Anyone know what year a purple 21 speed Hardrock was made? I have a box full of older friction shifters pedals and so on,

I hike in the summer, I ride an older bike to the trail head, I have to many old parts, why not fix it up a little
Last summers $29 bike was up to around $100 by the time I thought it was ready. I sold it in Guatemala for $20 on my way to the airport. After some hiking and a trip down the PCBR.

Last edited by chrisx; 06-14-19 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-14-19, 07:02 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
TSA questioned me about the U-lock once or twice which I suppose isn't too unreasonable (I once used a u-lock to scare off a couple trouble makers in downtown DC). Pedals/cassette etc, not sure why that would be a problem.
Old 06-14-19, 07:11 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
I don't think anyone can tell you for sure. You are really at the whim of the TSA agent for the day. Why take a chance? Just ship it out ahead. Or pay the price and checkit.

Why didn't it go with the bike?

A cassette? You are going to change out a cassette before you start your tour??
Old 06-15-19, 06:15 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Why didn't it go with the bike?

A cassette? You are going to change out a cassette before you start your tour??
Any reason not to change the cassette either now or later?
Pedals need changing for sure. I have a lot of old bike parts, why not use them. I
I bought the 93? Hard Rock at the Goodwill store in Seattle, $29, very little rust on the frame. Cables and chain are rusted. Like the faded purple paint job.

I somethines take an old bike, fix it up, and take it on tour in a third world country. Ride out of the airport on a bike the luggage monkey can toss around if he needs to. I left 2 of them in Guatemala so far, where public transit is your old school bus painted up nice.
Old 06-15-19, 06:19 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
U lock,
Cassette,
Pedals,
the 3 things I layed out to go to the airport.
Do they FLY?

Oh, and some top of the line friction shifters, but TSA likes friction shifters.
Old 06-15-19, 06:23 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by chrisx
Any reason not to change the cassette either now or later?
Pedals need changing for sure. I have a lot of old bike parts, why not use them. I
I bought the 93? Hard Rock at the Goodwill store in Seattle, $29, very little rust on the frame. Cables and chain are rusted. Like the faded purple paint job.

I somethines take an old bike, fix it up, and take it on tour in a third world country. Ride out of the airport on a bike the luggage monkey can toss around if he needs to. I left 2 of them in Guatemala so far, where public transit is your old school bus painted up nice.

I don't get why you did not fix the bike up before you sent it out.

Last edited by spinnaker; 06-15-19 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-15-19, 06:25 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
before you sent ti out.

Ti? what is ti?
Old 06-15-19, 07:09 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

before you sent ti out.

Ti? what is ti?
Typo.
Old 07-27-19, 12:58 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
TSA unpacked everything for my carry-on when I was coming home from AZ a couple years ago. I can't blame them. It was a lot of weird hardware; my pedals, titanium TiGr lock, Brooks saddle, and I don't remember what else, maybe a mini pump. It understandably caught their eye. It was no big deal, they just laid it out on a table to look at it then left me to pack it back up.

Although, now that I think of it, someone did tell me they had their U lock confiscated due to concern a person could lock themselves to the plane in an attempt to hijack it or whatever.

But if you already have a practice of leaving whole bikes behind, I wouldn't worry too much about losing some old pedals and an 8 sp cassette.
Old 07-27-19, 04:49 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
My pedals are often in my carry on, sometimes my saddle is too if I am going somewhere if the bike will be provided to me there, such as tour group in Europe. That way if my checked luggage is late, I have my pedals and saddle and can start riding. My helmet is usually on my head when I get on the plane so I do not have to risk baggage handlers cracking it, I put the helmet in the over head compartment.

My last trip, I came home a couple weeks ago. No problem bringing pedals to Canada, TSA said nothing. Coming home from Canada, an Canadian inspector pulled out a zip lock bag with my pedals in it, the pedals were dirty and the threads greasy so I had a paper towel wrapped around them inside the zip lock. Thus, you could only see teh paper towel. She asked me what was in it, I said bike pedals and I said if she opened them up, they were geasy so she would need fresh gloves. She said, oh, ... I usually can tell from the x ray if they are pedals. She did not open the bag, and that was all.

I have never tried to carry a cassette on a plane in a carry on. Not sure if that would be deemed a weapon or not. But the teeth on it might look like a giant saw blade, in which case they will want to look at it and see if it could cut anything.

Tools could be a no-no.
Old 07-27-19, 07:01 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Totally depends on the ass-of-the-day in TSA. A lot of them are regular people doing their job. Random ones seem to have alpha dog complexes. I had a lighter confiscated, which is blatantly on the "OK" list. I Politely questioned it, and was basically just snapped back at and threatened that if I questioned it again then they would stop me from flying. That chick had another person in line behind me with an issue due to something she had taken. No idea what her problem was, but she was clearly not suited to that job. If you take the cassette, I would just throw a couple zip-ties around it to keep it together. They might try to say the individual cogs are throwing stars or something silly. I've flown with pedals, brake disks, and bottle cages, but again, you might get that random jackass...
Likes For 3speed:
Old 07-27-19, 09:49 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Pedals and cassette did fly, along with friction shifters. To many old bike parts sitting around, why not use them for something.

Today I put a 10 speed xt cassette on a 1993 alivio hub, had to leave out 1 cog, did they get a little wider over the years:.¿

Some where in these pages someone posted about a xt 10 speed cassette available in Europe and not the USA, with expanded size for touring. Anyone remember where that is or how to get the expanded range Shimano 10 speed cassette?
Old 07-28-19, 05:38 AM
3speed

No idea on the European cassette, but my understanding and experience is that if an 8sp or 9sp will fit, a 10sp will fit. I believe they're the same width freehub through all of those cassettes. I think they might have been slightly narrower when lock-ring cassettes first came out. Was that 7sp, but they made an 8sp that would fit it back then? I'm a little fuzzy on that era of change from freewheel to cassette. Every freehub I've owned will fit 8,9, and 10sp. I believe you need a small spacer to run a 7sp on one of those freehubs. My guess is that Alivio hub was a 7sp, or from a brief weird time at the change from 7sp to 8sp.
Old 07-28-19, 08:21 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Pedals and cassette did fly, along with friction shifters. To many old bike parts sitting around, why not use them for something.

Today I put a 10 speed xt cassette on a 1993 alivio hub, had to leave out 1 cog, did they get a little wider over the years:.¿

Some where in these pages someone posted about a xt 10 speed cassette available in Europe and not the USA, with expanded size for touring. Anyone remember where that is or how to get the expanded range Shimano 10 speed cassette?
Agree with 3speed, I suspect it is a 7 speed freehub that would not take the 10speed cassette. I am running an 8 speed cassette on a hub I bought two years ago as a 10 speed hub, so the width is not an issue.

Regarding parts from Europe, I have no idea what you might be shopping for. But I have placed several orders with Bike24 and one order with Star Bike, both in Germany. Check their websites.
https://www.bike24.com/
https://www.starbike.com/en/

Shipping is not cheap, but the prices are cheap enough that with a large order you more than recover the shipping cost. On my most recent order with Bike24, my savings on just the dynohub I ordered alone paid for the shipping. When I order from them I usually spend some quality time on their website looking for good bargains.

When you get on their site, first thing is to verify that you are recognized as being in USA and buying in USD currency. That way VAT is not included in the posted price.

Chain Reaction might be another site to check with a moderately sized order, shipping is free. They are in UK, but I think it less likely that they would have your cassette, but I would check them anyway.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en
Old 08-01-19, 01:10 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Another parts house, https://www.bike-components.de/en/

Here is another one

https://www.bike-components.de/en/

I ordered 2 Alex adventure 2 rim brake machined rims, and have 2 shimano xt hubs from the old 9 speed days. No spokes yet, but soon. Until then I am running a 9 out of 10 on a 93 alivio hub that came on the bike, think they got a small amount wider after 93 some time.

The alex adventure 2 rim is tubeless ready, and a quarter of a pound lighter than the Velocity Cliffhanger, only tubeless ready rim brake rims that I am aware of.

I found a $29 Rock Hopper (93?) at the charity shop. It now has a 985 crank 970 front and rear derailleurs, 143 gram handle bar, and some other parts out of the closet. 27 pounds with fenders.

More or less $29 for a frame in my size, comfortable.

Originally Posted by 3speed
No idea on the European cassette, but my understanding and experience is that if an 8sp or 9sp will fit, a 10sp will fit. I believe they're the same width freehub through all of those cassettes. I think they might have been slightly narrower when lock-ring cassettes first came out. Was that 7sp, but they made an 8sp that would fit it back then? I'm a little fuzzy on that era of change from freewheel to cassette. Every freehub I've owned will fit 8,9, and 10sp. I believe you need a small spacer to run a 7sp on one of those freehubs. My guess is that Alivio hub was a 7sp, or from a brief weird time at the change from 7sp to 8sp.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Agree with 3speed, I suspect it is a 7 speed freehub that would not take the 10speed cassette. I am running an 8 speed cassette on a hub I bought two years ago as a 10 speed hub, so the width is not an issue.

Regarding parts from Europe, I have no idea what you might be shopping for. But I have placed several orders with Bike24 and one order with Star Bike, both in Germany. Check their websites.

Shipping is not cheap, but the prices are cheap enough that with a large order you more than recover the shipping cost. On my most recent order with Bike24, my savings on just the dynohub I ordered alone paid for the shipping. When I order from them I usually spend some quality time on their website looking for good bargains.

When you get on their site, first thing is to verify that you are recognized as being in USA and buying in USD currency. That way VAT is not included in the posted price.

Chain Reaction might be another site to check with a moderately sized order, shipping is free. They are in UK, but I think it less likely that they would have your cassette, but I would check them anyway.

I read somewhere, this forum most likely.

Shimano makes an expanded range 10 speed cassette. 11 40, or 11 42, I forget which. Not available in the US.

As the older friction shifters work well up to 10 speeds, I would like to find a 10 speed cassette with more than 36 teeth. I prefer Shimano. Why? The 28 year old parts I removed from the Rock Hopper were still working and fully functional. I tossed those tired old parts out, yes. I rode home from the charity shop on the $29 bicycle.

Any thoughts on better canti brakes, to replace the 28 year old alivio cantis on the bike?

Mid 90s mt bikes make great touring bikes. Not so great as a mt bike, yes great touring bikes, especially if you like gravel roads.

Last edited by chrisx; 08-01-19 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-03-19, 04:16 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I did the recent Seattle to Portland ride on a rental bike, and brought my own seat, tools and saddle bag on the flight out - no issues.

On the way back, TSA pulled my bag and confiscated my CO2 cartridges that were in the saddle bag - apparently that is standard, but they just missed them on the outbound flight.

So, I ordered more cartridges online and didn't pay enough attention - a bunch of unthreaded cartridges promptly appeared at my door....
Old 08-04-19, 02:39 AM
3speed

Originally Posted by jpescatore
apparently that is standard, but they just missed them on the outbound flight.
This has also happened to me, and a couple other people I know. I had a full bottle of water in my carry-on. They miss the stuff they're supposed to take from you and take your stuff that is clearly not "terrorist" related. Hell I'd rather just be able to fly hassle free again and donate a few dollars to whoever is getting rich off of this BS.