Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized In Between Sizing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-19, 03:21 PM
voz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am currently shopping for a new Specialized road bike and I was hoping I could get some help on sizing. I am 16 and about 5'6 1/2". I am basically right in between a small and a medium frame from the models I am looking at. I still have probably a couple of inches left in me and I was wondering if I could squeeze onto a medium so I could keep it longer.

Thanks,
voz
Old 07-29-19, 03:31 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Tough decision. It's easier to make a smaller frame ride bigger with a longer stem and more exposed seatpost (it's more pro, too) and more difficult to adapt a larger frame to ride smaller. A smaller frame will be lighter, stiffer, and more nimble in general, so if you want to get fast at cycling and don't have flexibility issues, then you should be able to ride it even if you grow a few inches taller. But if you prefer stable handling from a longer wheelbase or a smaller saddle to bar drop, then get the medium.
Old 07-29-19, 03:55 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
You may well be able to work with a slightly large bike. There is quite a bit of adjustment possible on bike fit. On the saddle position, they can slide forward or back through a range of several cm. Additionally, a typical seat post is built so that when the saddle is centered over the clamping mechanism the saddle is set back and not centered over the seat post. there are seat posts made so that the saddle is centered over the post. This results in some more adjustment in the saddle location, in addition to being able to slide the saddle forward or back several cm, at the relatively minor cost of a new seat post should that be necessary.

The location of the handle bar is adjustable also because stems are available ranging from say, 75mm to 130mm. This is a considerable range. Whether these possible adjustments are enough to justify the purchase is your call.

An alternate possibility is to look for an other bike at a consignment shop. My first bike, about 10 years ago, was such a bike and I paid $65 dollars for it. It was an inexpensive brand but worked perfectly and was ridden for a whole summer. I would likely still be ridding it if it were not too big by a lot. If you were to find such a bike, you could ride it until your additional inches come in. Good luck in finding what you need.
Old 07-29-19, 07:59 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I was in the same boat. I went with a 52cm frame and added a 120mm stem; more seatpost showing looks better, IMO. I also dropped the bars so only the base, stem spacer is on.
Old 07-30-19, 06:49 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
OP, do you really think you'll grow that much? I ask because I don't think I got any taller after 16 (wider, yes.)

That said, there's not a huge difference between the frames, and if you are truly in between, you could probably go either way. Have you ridden both? Which are you more comfortable on?
Old 07-30-19, 07:09 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Go the medium IMO. Small frames have compromised geometry and toe overlap. Anything smaller than what used to be called a 54 should have a smaller front wheel than 700C.
Old 07-30-19, 09:57 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
go bigger and shorting stem/steering set up. I am ideally a frame size 57 but that is not a common size so I always go for a 58 and make it fit.
Old 07-30-19, 11:03 AM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Go the medium IMO. Small frames have compromised geometry and toe overlap. Anything smaller than what used to be called a 54 should have a smaller front wheel than 700C.
Toe overlap is real. I ate **** a handful of times before I became cognizant of it's effects. It's too late by the time you realize you're going down
Old 07-30-19, 07:05 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Makes it pretty tough to look cool doing a trackstand at the lights...
Old 07-30-19, 07:14 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Conventional wisdom says size down. But if you really are still growing, you should round up.
Old 07-30-19, 07:15 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Toe overlap is real. I ate **** a handful of times before I became cognizant of it's effects. It's too late by the time you realize you're going down
Not to hijack, but toe overlap is not an issue as long as you are aware of it. All my bikes have it. No biggie.
Old 07-30-19, 07:17 PM
Kimmo

Originally Posted by datlas
Not to hijack, but toe overlap is not an issue as long as you are aware of it. All my bikes have it. No biggie.
I think this is a hijack now...

Apparently it's not an issue for some folks, but others feel you should be able to steer a bike unimpeded.
Old 07-31-19, 02:31 AM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by datlas
There's always the exception to the rule. I recently got cut-off by a vehicle, while slowly crawling uphill, to make a left onto the road. I wasn't sure of the vehicle's intended path, which caused me to slow to a halt, then try and swerve out of its way. I got toe overlap and nearly went down. Luckily my cleats are fairly worn and I just barely un-clipped fast enough.
Old 07-31-19, 06:19 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Asking a bunch of questions when you are new is a very good idea. What I take issue with is that you open a new thread for each new question. Makes it difficult to follow your thought process. I have had to look at multiple threads to try and figure out where you are going. Honestly, my head is spinning trying to follow your timeline. Is this question newer than the last question you asked? Was it older? You seem to be fixated on the idea of racing in the future. Don't look at road bikes with 10 speed cassettes unless you want neutral support cars that only have 11 speed wheels to be unable to help you. Doesn't matter if the bike you look at is a dedicated race bike, many races have been won on good bikes that were designed for less competitive events. A bike designed for criterium racing would fare badly at Paris Roubaix. For a newcomer, a bike designed for Cyclosportifs,(Gran Fondos) is an excellent beginner's race bike. These are the sort of bikes pros use for races like the cobbled classics.
Old 07-31-19, 06:54 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
At age 16, females typically reach 90% of their height growth. Males are at 70%. There are outliers, and family history plays a factor. All the fitting tools show me to a 56, however I choose to go 58 and a shorter stem. I like the seat to handlebar height difference to be minimal.