Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Topstone Rear Rack/Rear Axle Issues?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 05-19-19, 11:42 AM
timacn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've read that some people have said that because of the positioning/design of Cannondale Topstone rear axles, racks must be removed to take the rear wheel off. Is this true? Is this "issue," if it actually exists, specific to certain rear racks or to rear racks generally? If true, anybody have any work arounds? Thanks.
Old 05-19-19, 06:16 PM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by timacn
I've read that some people have said that because of the positioning/design of Cannondale Topstone rear axles, racks must be removed to take the rear wheel off. Is this true? Is this "issue," if it actually exists, specific to certain rear racks or to rear racks generally? If true, anybody have any work arounds? Thanks.
I posted this in the Topstone thread, but I'll add my experience here too in case people come across it searching.

A Cannondale rep confirmed the clearance issue in a thread, here. Fender stays seem fine, but big/protruding rack tubes seem to get in the way of the skewer. It may depend on the rack. I spoke with another owner who installed this Bontrager rack, and because the attachment points are flat, the skewer seemed to clear the rack mount points. My Tubus Logo Evo got in the way, however.

I went through this with my rack-equipped Topstone 105 recently. The axle levers are adjustable, so theoretically you can loosen it little by little, adjusting the lever every time, but that's a time consuming process.

I bought a Robert Axle rear thru axle using their axle finder guide. Ended up with a Lightning Bolt-on Axle - Rear 12 mm x 162-167 mm x 1.0 Thread. It's longer than the stock axle, but uses a spacer to get the correct length. It's allen-key removable, so interference with the rack and fender mounts isn't an issue.

I struggled to get it threaded when I first swapped things over, but I didn't have much thru axle experience and didn't know the derailleur hanger had to be well lined up before the threads would catch. Once I figured that part out it was pretty smooth to install, and seems to be going strong!
Old 05-19-19, 08:33 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
I have a Topstone, a rack, and a few minutes so I tested it for you. I can confirm it's not a good fit. The rear bolts interfere with the skewer lever. However, you can loosen the skewer with a 4mm allen key until the lever clears the bolt and then finish off the loosening with the skewer lever. Install would essentially be the reverse process. Although not ideal, it can be done without removing the rack.
Old 05-21-19, 12:37 PM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Pics? I'm in the market for a topstone and I plan to run a rack on it.
Old 07-31-19, 12:24 PM
Northarrow

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mechanic confirmed to me that putting a standard rear rack on my Topstone will prevent me from taking the wheel off, unless the rack comes off first. Seems like a poor design flaw of the bike. The mechanic will be searching for through axle options that have an non-lever, allen wrench design. Not much chatter on this in my pre-purchase research. Bummer...
Old 08-01-19, 08:13 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Northarrow
My mechanic confirmed to me that putting a standard rear rack on my Topstone will prevent me from taking the wheel off, unless the rack comes off first. Seems like a poor design flaw of the bike. The mechanic will be searching for through axle options that have an non-lever, allen wrench design. Not much chatter on this in my pre-purchase research. Bummer...
Well you need a new mechanic because it's possible. The skewer has an allen bolt that is accessible. Just back that off a little, pull the lever handle directly away from the bike until it clears the rack, and then finish off the axle removal with the lever itself. I already said this months ago in post #3 in case you missed it.

Last edited by shoota; 08-01-19 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-04-19, 05:51 PM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Lava
I posted this in the Topstone thread, but I'll add my experience here too in case people come across it searching.

A Cannondale rep confirmed the clearance issue in a thread, here. Fender stays seem fine, but big/protruding rack tubes seem to get in the way of the skewer. It may depend on the rack. I spoke with another owner who installed this Bontrager rack, and because the attachment points are flat, the skewer seemed to clear the rack mount points. My Tubus Logo Evo got in the way, however.

I went through this with my rack-equipped Topstone 105 recently. The axle levers are adjustable, so theoretically you can loosen it little by little, adjusting the lever every time, but that's a time consuming process.

I bought a Robert Axle rear thru axle using their axle finder guide. Ended up with a Lightning Bolt-on Axle - Rear 12 mm x 162-167 mm x 1.0 Thread. It's longer than the stock axle, but uses a spacer to get the correct length. It's allen-key removable, so interference with the rack and fender mounts isn't an issue.

I struggled to get it threaded when I first swapped things over, but I didn't have much thru axle experience and didn't know the derailleur hanger had to be well lined up before the threads would catch. Once I figured that part out it was pretty smooth to install, and seems to be going strong!
^^This^^

I installed a Salsa Wanderlust HD rear rack on my Topstone, exchanging the stock through bolt with one from Robert Axle Project. (Apologies for dusty frame, just got back from a ride on the trails today and haven't had time to give her a bath)

Old 08-05-19, 08:44 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by westrid_dad
^^This^^

I installed a Salsa Wanderlust HD rear rack on my Topstone, exchanging the stock through bolt with one from Robert Axle Project. (Apologies for dusty frame, just got back from a ride on the trails today and haven't had time to give her a bath)

What does the new axle give you that the stock one doesn't?
Old 08-05-19, 07:06 PM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
What does the new axle give you that the stock one doesn't?
They both secure the wheel to the frame, yes. For me, this lever-less axle makes it easier to install/remove the wheel as I don't have to perform the "manual ratcheting" procedure you've accurately described with the stock through axle. Aesthetics aside, that's about it for me.
Old 08-05-19, 07:19 PM
shoota 

They both secure the wheel to the frame, yes. For me, this lever-less axle makes it easier to install/remove the wheel as I don't have to perform the "manual ratcheting" procedure you've accurately described with the stock through axle. Aesthetics aside, that's about it for me.
Right on. It does look better, no doubt about that!
Old 08-06-19, 09:23 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the photos too! In my post above I speculated that flat mounting points on the rack might let the stock skewer clear, but given that your Salsa rack looks to have those, it seems like the tolerances are pretty tight, and that most racks won't work.

So yeah, anyone wanting to install a rack on a Topstone, prepare for ratcheting or a new axle! I wish Cannondale would have designed the bike with this in mind, given the mounting points were a pretty solid selling point for me, but so it goes. Perhaps that would have blurred the lines between touring and endurance geometry even more. As it is, I'm still happy with the ability to put panniers on the back for commuting, or ride it more like a road bike without the load.