Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Transporting Older Kids On Bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-04-19, 08:14 PM
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

So my daughter turned 5 this year. When she was around 1-3 years old I used one of those kid seats that goes between the handle bars and your seat. From 4 years old to now I am using a hitch trailer. But soon she is going to be too big to fit in it. What my options now if I want to transport her on bike for long distances? She doesn't have enough energy to go for 6 mile plus rides.

Is my only option a cargo bike? They are all $1,500 plus. I know you can buy Xtracycle Leap to convert your bike into a cargo bike but the problem is that they are for disc brakes only and my bike has rim brakes.
Old 08-04-19, 08:17 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
We used a tag-a-long when the kids were that age.
Old 08-04-19, 08:22 PM
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
We used a tag-a-long when the kids were that age.
That's a great idea, I totally forgot about those!

I think I'll buy one for the time being. Eventually I might have to get a cargo bike in like 5 years when she's too old for the tag along and doesn't want to ride 6 miles to the grandparent's house.
Old 08-04-19, 09:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, trailers or cargo bikes. On casual group rides we often have a few parents and grandparents show up with kidlets over toddler age in tow -- including towed by recumbents -- or riding the back of cargo bikes with handholds and footrests.

I have a comfort hybrid with a long wheelbase, built pretty much like a Yuba, with massive, thick, stiff aluminum frame. All it needs is a comparably sturdy rear rack, and foot pegs.
Old 08-04-19, 09:34 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I lengthened my bike with a tandem mainframe. But i shortened it. So it's only a stubby SWB tandem. Not a common approach but one that's worked great for us, we spend a lot of time on it.
Old 08-04-19, 10:05 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by The Big Wheel
That's a great idea, I totally forgot about those!

I think I'll buy one for the time being. Eventually I might have to get a cargo bike in like 5 years when she's too old for the tag along and doesn't want to ride 6 miles to the grandparent's house.
One advantage to a tag-a-long is that they have their own set of pedals, so that they can help on the hills (in theory)

We re going to be outgrowing the tag-a-long in a couple more summers, so I’ve got my eye out for a tandem that can handle a shorter than average stoker.
Old 08-05-19, 09:52 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
The tag-a-long is probably your best bet!

If she really doesn't want to ride, Wike has some interesting trailer options, including a kid trailer that's spec'd for up to 100 lbs. and a 'special needs' trailer that holds a rider up to 125 lbs./64".

My hauling needs have been accomplished quite well with a 1990s fully rigid MTB running slick tires. $100 for the bike, $60-80 for appropriate tires, plus whatever for the trailer ends up being significantly less expensive than a cargo bike.
Old 08-05-19, 02:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Weehoo. Recumbent trail behind that has a 5 point harness and comfortable seat which is adjustable to size.

We used one for 4 years with our youngest- it opened up WAY more routes for us as a family. Kid+Weehoo=heavy pull, but thats the only downside. The Weehoo was extremely safe, comfortable, and engaging(since she wasnt inside a bubble like a Burley). She could 'help' pedal when she wanted too.
One benefit of a Weehoo versus an upright tag-a-long(in addition to the safety and comfort) is the lack of wobble and wonky side leaning kid bike. Too mant of those tag-a-long additions are just cheap as can be and the kid ends up leaning over to one side since the attachment to the bike is so loose and poor quality. You can really feel the sway of weight too, due to center of gravity.
Old 08-05-19, 03:28 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
I used a kid-back attachment (raised stoker bottom bracket) on our tandem to take my daughter to school before she grew enough to ride her own bike. It was always a big hit with the other kids when I dropped her off and picked her up.

Unless you already own a tandem (we did) I suspect a tag-along attachment would be more cost effective.
Old 08-05-19, 03:28 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Weehoo. Recumbent trail behind that has a 5 point harness and comfortable seat which is adjustable to size.

We used one for 4 years with our youngest- it opened up WAY more routes for us as a family. Kid+Weehoo=heavy pull, but thats the only downside. The Weehoo was extremely safe, comfortable, and engaging(since she wasnt inside a bubble like a Burley). She could 'help' pedal when she wanted too.
One benefit of a Weehoo versus an upright tag-a-long(in addition to the safety and comfort) is the lack of wobble and wonky side leaning kid bike. Too mant of those tag-a-long additions are just cheap as can be and the kid ends up leaning over to one side since the attachment to the bike is so loose and poor quality. You can really feel the sway of weight too, due to center of gravity.
Really good advice. Some additional comments/thoughts:
- You can go with a regular tag-along/trail-a-bike or a Weehoo. The Weehoo is not super portable, it's pretty heavy, but does allow your kid to sleep/be securely strapped in. A trail-a-bike is much easier to transport and pull but if your kid isn't too emotionally mature yet, you will question your choice. I got a trail-a-bike and my 4-year-old tends to take her hands off the handlebars, feet off pedals, so she requires constant reminders from mom to act as an adult because she rides an adult bike. This is the #1 reason I haven't cycled with her to daycare by myself while with a Weehoo I would have. But I just didn't want to deal with the weight, storage, and transport of it.
- They WILL pedal and it WILL count
- No problems towing the kid on a trail-a-bike 30 miles (though that's a long time for a small kid to do one activity)
- Weehoo has more accessories like sun shade, rain cover, and panniers
- I got a used Burley Piccolo which uses a different kind of attachment system with a rear rack, and it's pretty damn stable which reviews have mentioned. Both myself and my kid love it. For how expensive it is, it still uses cheapo parts like unsealed bearings and square taper cranks. Can't imagine how crappy the $100 bikes are though.
- Both kinds of bikes will support kids up to 80ish pounds, but that's questionable. Bottom line, you will get a few years use out of them (though I decided to swap out the stock crankset from the stock 140ish mm to 95mm for my 4yo and it made a world of difference)

Look on your local Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace for a used one
Old 08-06-19, 07:13 PM
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up buying a Yuba Mundo Classic. I found a xtracycle DIY kit on craigslist for $300 and also the Weehoo Turbo Trailer for $225. But both were about two hours away and from what I've read the xtraxcycle kit flexes a lot. If you factor in how much those two cost it kind of made sense to buy the Mundo. Also, I don't think I want to carry any trailers behind me. Yuba had a 20% coupon plus free shipping so I feel like I got a pretty good deal. I like the fact that I can buy accessories for it as the years go buy and even make it electric with the BBSHD kit someday.

Likes For The Big Wheel:
Old 08-08-19, 04:08 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by The Big Wheel
Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up buying a Yuba Mundo Classic. I found a xtracycle DIY kit on craigslist for $300 and also the Weehoo Turbo Trailer for $225. But both were about two hours away and from what I've read the xtraxcycle kit flexes a lot. If you factor in how much those two cost it kind of made sense to buy the Mundo. Also, I don't think I want to carry any trailers behind me. Yuba had a 20% coupon plus free shipping so I feel like I got a pretty good deal. I like the fact that I can buy accessories for it as the years go buy and even make it electric with the BBSHD kit someday.

Sounds great, good luck!