Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Remember! We are the cars of the MUPs

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-16, 09:31 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts

Easing up a little on the throttle will be a big help, fellow cyclists.

Call for Bike Ban Near LA River After Woman Critically Hurt When Struck by Cyclist | NBC Southern California
Old 10-17-16, 11:01 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Busy bike paths and walkers are a mix for trouble. If this is indeed a "Bike" path, then let it be just that, walkers should stay clear. Either that or a walking specific expansion of some sort needs to be put into place.

People are jerks, including many that ride bikes on these trails. They will have total disregard for the lives of others; that's just life on planet earth. Is this fact really "news" to anybody?
Old 10-18-16, 06:39 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Practicing safe biking is always important. I do believe one should be cautious when approaching pedestrians but at the same time I have seen plenty of pedestrians all of a sudden make a sharp turn into bicycle traffic without looking. I've seen and experienced more than my share of close calls even while riding slow.
Old 10-18-16, 08:12 AM
hsuehhwa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm sickened reading the news. We can blame the pedestrians all day...

BUT
1. Most of the "multiuse" paths have a speed limit and some clearly indicate pedestrians have right of way.
2. On a bike path, we should give pedestrians "enough" clearance when passing them, just as the "3-ft" motorists should give cyclists. If the bike path is too narrow to give such a clearance, we should just slow down.

If one wants to race his/her road bike, do it on a parallel surface streets. Leave the pedestrians/casual/family riders on the bike path alone.
Old 10-18-16, 10:28 AM
JMH714

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't get why pedestrians decided to take bike trail. I can understand jogging, rollblading, and biking, but don't get why walkers need the path. They got plenty of places to walk on - I mean, sidewalks are everywhere. And we, cyclists, need continually path to keep pedal all the time. I might be selfish, but that's how I see.

I have seen some people decided to stop in the middle of path and chatting.
Old 10-18-16, 10:32 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by JMH714
I have seen some people decided to stop in the middle of path and chatting.
People are indeed jerks. Like me for example: Instead of slowing and passing the above types, I usually spool it up a few more mph and brush pass as closely as I dare, just to inject a little adrenaline into the day of an oblivious person walking three abreast in the bike lane.
Old 10-18-16, 12:49 PM
HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
People are indeed jerks. Like me for example: Instead of slowing and passing the above types, I usually spool it up a few more mph and brush pass as closely as I dare, just to inject a little adrenaline into the day of an oblivious person walking three abreast in the bike lane.
Indeed, just like the truckers do to us on the streets!
Old 10-18-16, 01:32 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by HBCruiser1
Indeed, just like the truckers do to us on the streets!
If we're riding three abreast or taking-a-lane, we've got it coming.
Old 10-18-16, 01:45 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
I don't get why pedestrians decided to take bike trail.

Because it's a multi-use path, not a bike trail. I am sure some pedestrians find it pleasant not to have to take sidewalks with street crossings, which present dangers. All users showing courtesy and concerns for all other users is the way to minimize risks.
Old 10-18-16, 02:26 PM
JMH714

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Because it's a multi-use path, not a bike trail. I am sure some pedestrians find it pleasant not to have to take sidewalks with street crossings, which present dangers. All users showing courtesy and concerns for all other users is the way to minimize risks.
Well, it's actually bike path. They even marked bike icon on the ground with direction arrow.

People could use the sidewalk just across the street.

There is no cycling-only trail anywhere (besides Velodrome) - that I know of. We need similar with Izu Cycling Sports Center (Japan) which there's a 5km track that is strictly for cycling only and open to public. That would be nice!
Old 10-18-16, 02:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Well, it's actually bike path. They even marked bike icon on the ground with direction arrow.
From the article:

"'When the bike path first opened up, there were constantly ambulances here, because bicyclists were running over pedestrians,'" cyclist Sasha Binder said. 'It's a huge problem here.'"

"The stretch of the LA River sits next to a residential neighborhood and is shared between cyclists and pedestrians."

"Markings alerting cyclists of a pedestrian were put on the path two years ago, but the path’s narrow width and the speed of some cyclists have continued to cause collisions"
Old 10-18-16, 03:07 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
It's the LA Greenway/Bike Trail
The Los Angeles River Trail (Greenway/Bike Path) : National Recreation Trail Database
They start out calling it a bike path, and then peds and skaters get on it, and then becomes a MUP.
Interesting link... says you can fish in the LA river. Only thing you are going to catch is hepatitis and a diaper or two.
That part of the path is right up next to residences, so people just walk out onto the path to look (smell) at the mighty LA river....and along comes you cranking away on a silent, well oiled machine and BAM.
Old 10-18-16, 07:07 PM
tinrobot
Spit out the back

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Kind of a moot point for the next six months. They're closing the bike path on weekdays so they can do "invasive species removal". Six months to pull up some plants.

Combined with the freeway construction on the north end, the trail is almost 50% closed. I hope they don't do the giant sandbags again....
Old 10-18-16, 11:55 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
From the article:

"'When the bike path first opened up, there were constantly ambulances here, because bicyclists were running over pedestrians,'" cyclist Sasha Binder said. 'It's a huge problem here.'"

"The stretch of the LA River sits next to a residential neighborhood and is shared between cyclists and pedestrians."

"Markings alerting cyclists of a pedestrian were put on the path two years ago, but the path’s narrow width and the speed of some cyclists have continued to cause collisions"
Surely you picked up on the irony... "when the bike path first opened up"
Old 10-18-16, 11:57 PM
American Euchre

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MUP's are at best flawed, and at worst a failure. Riders and pedestrians must be segregated. Just as they are on sidewalks and roads.
Old 10-19-16, 03:32 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by tinrobot
Kind of a moot point for the next six months. They're closing the bike path on weekdays so they can do "invasive species removal". Six months to pull up some plants.

Combined with the freeway construction on the north end, the trail is almost 50% closed. I hope they don't do the giant sandbags again....
HA! They are going to pull some weeds, eh? For 6 months? Sounds like good government work. I could get it done for 1/4 the price.
They have really fouled up the bike trail by Griffith Park.. and I don't see an end in sight.
Old 10-19-16, 12:06 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
MUPs just don't work, bikes are just too dangerous to pedestrians and even with a speed limit the bikes just come up too fast.

My BIGGEST issue with 'MUPS' is the funding is always specifically for bike infrastructure, then the local politicians morph it into a MUP.
Old 10-19-16, 12:10 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
MUPs just don't work, bikes are just too dangerous to pedestrians and even with a speed limit the bikes just come up too fast.

My BIGGEST issue with 'MUPS' is the funding is always specifically for bike infrastructure, then the local politicians morph it into a MUP.
It's not really safe for bicyclist either for the same reason. Collisions can just as damaging or even deadly for those on the bike.
Old 10-19-16, 03:26 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Every time I see a cyclist tucked in with time-trail bars on a MUP, I want to bash in their head. One of the reasons why I cycle solo is that our sport attracts too many idiots. That said, many pedestrians are clueless as well. Try biking on the dedicated bike path on the Brooklyn Bridge without stopping.

I rarely go on that path since I do not like to cycle on flats, but I occasionally do it since the scenery is "nice" and I like the Spoke Cafe. But I would never go fast. Too many Strava segments on this path.

I don't get why pedestrians decided to take bike trail. I can understand jogging, rollblading, and biking, but don't get why walkers need the path. They got plenty of places to walk on - I mean, sidewalks are everywhere. And we, cyclists, need continually path to keep pedal all the time. I might be selfish, but that's how I see.
The path is nice (as you can get near downtown). I would walk on it if I lived close by. However, I have seen many runners that tick me off in Griffith Park. There is a section south of the Autry with a large compressed dirt path for runners and walkers. Still the runners want to run in the narrow shoulder with the cyclist. Why? And these entitled idiots want the cyclist to move to their left, into traffic, despite the cyclist going in the correct direction.

Originally Posted by trailangel
HA! They are going to pull some weeds, eh? For 6 months? Sounds like good government work. I could get it done for 1/4 the price.
They have really fouled up the bike trail by Griffith Park.. and I don't see an end in sight.
The government actually sub-contracted out to a private firm. Even if they accepted the lowest bid, it still will be massively overpriced. The previous company that did the exact same work did not close the trail.
Old 10-19-16, 04:40 PM
trek3700

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport / Trek 3700

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait, they want to ban bikes from the bike path. How ironic is that. How about we ban walkers/runners from the bike path. Much easier.
Old 10-19-16, 05:46 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Every time I see a cyclist tucked in with time-trail bars on a MUP, I want to bash in their head. One of the reasons why I cycle solo is that our sport attracts too many idiots. That said, many pedestrians are clueless as well. Try biking on the dedicated bike path on the Brooklyn Bridge without stopping.

I rarely go on that path since I do not like to cycle on flats, but I occasionally do it since the scenery is "nice" and I like the Spoke Cafe. But I would never go fast. Too many Strava segments on this path.

The path is nice (as you can get near downtown). I would walk on it if I lived close by. However, I have seen many runners that tick me off in Griffith Park. There is a section south of the Autry with a large compressed dirt path for runners and walkers. Still the runners want to run in the narrow shoulder with the cyclist. Why? And these entitled idiots want the cyclist to move to their left, into traffic, despite the cyclist going in the correct direction.

The government actually sub-contracted out to a private firm. Even if they accepted the lowest bid, it still will be massively overpriced. The previous company that did the exact same work did not close the trail.
You can go "fast" on like 80% of the trail, it only gets super sketchy on the part near riverside drive with all the walkers and tree roots
Old 10-22-16, 06:06 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Similar thing happened in Irvine in 2007 on the San Diego Creek trail behind Bethel Church:
Woman dies after being hit by bicycle - The Orange County Register

It was mentioned on BF here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/6542594-post94.html

Around 2010-2012 I was riding the above trail 10x month. I regularly noticed some riders queued up, with special backpack radios as the trail approached the Church. I just took for granted that City of Irvine was silently crusading against roadies by doing traffic calming and trying to slow us down.
I started to exit the trail and use the street.

Last edited by marquhar; 11-11-16 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-23-16, 04:29 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I love how pedestrians get on BIKE PATHs, roam all across its width and then demand that the cyclist be banned.

If only pedestrians would do the same on Highways and demand motor vehicles be banned.
Old 10-23-16, 06:23 PM
JMH714

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marquhar
Similar thing happened in Irvine in 2007 on the San Diego Creek trail behind Bethel Church:
Woman dies after being hit by bicycle - The Orange County Register

It was mentioned on BF here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/6542594-post94.html

Around 2010-2012 I was riding the above trail 10x month. I regularly noticed some riders queued up, with special backpack radios as the trail approached the Church. I just took for granted that City of Irvine was silently crusading against roadies by doing traffic calming and trying to slow us down.
I started to exit the trail and use the street.

shibala, beek – kyo jew – say – yo. B*tch, move please.
It's unfortunately situation for that lady. But that path by the church is really small - enough space for just two bikes. This is why I'm trying to say pedestrians or walkers should have stick to sidewalk instead of bike path.

I finally rode Santiago Creek trail for over a month (been riding at San Diego Creek trail), I kept seeing many signs saying "BIKE PATH" all over places - except Hart Park to Santiago Park.
Old 10-25-16, 06:28 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
I love how pedestrians get on BIKE PATHs, roam all across its width and then demand that the cyclist be banned.

If only pedestrians would do the same on Highways and demand motor vehicles be banned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.