Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Ride 2 School

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Ride 2 School

Old 02-05-19, 08:17 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Ride 2 School

School's back in session!

Does your area have a Ride2School program?

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/ri...s/ride2school/
Old 02-05-19, 11:43 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Yes. There are bike rodeos where kids can get free helmets, lights, and instruction on how to ride. Schools have secured bike parking for the kids and bike lanes to the schools (although most of the kids ride on the sidewalk which is inconvenient for peds). Special bike to school days and special elementary school bike PE classes. Mountain bike team at the high school. Good bike culture here. About Safe Routes « Alameda County | Safe Routes to Schools
Old 02-06-19, 10:41 AM
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amazingly, my whole job is to oversee a similar program through the Minnesota Department of Transportation. I love work.

Originally Posted by Machka
School's back in session!

Does your area have a Ride2School program?

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/ri...s/ride2school/
Old 02-06-19, 06:48 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by linberl
Yes. There are bike rodeos where kids can get free helmets, lights, and instruction on how to ride. Schools have secured bike parking for the kids and bike lanes to the schools (although most of the kids ride on the sidewalk which is inconvenient for peds). Special bike to school days and special elementary school bike PE classes. Mountain bike team at the high school. Good bike culture here. About Safe Routes « Alameda County | Safe Routes to Schools
Originally Posted by davidmcowan
Amazingly, my whole job is to oversee a similar program through the Minnesota Department of Transportation. I love work.

That's great to hear ... from both of you!
Old 02-14-19, 01:53 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Grumpy old man moment coming up.

When I was kid, we didn't have Ride2School programs. We just rode to school. We had bikes. School was close. At the time it was no-brainer. Now it's a special program.

Not to misconstrue. I think the programs are great. I think helping and encouraging kids to ride is great. I'm just a little saddened because somehow we went from kids getting themselves to school by bus or bike or feet to a line of cars parading in front of the school to drop everyone off. And now we need special programs. Seems like a shame that we need them, but I'm glad the programs are there.
Old 02-14-19, 02:37 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E

When I was kid, we didn't have Ride2School programs. We just rode to school. We had bikes. School was close. At the time it was no-brainer. Now it's a special program.

Not to misconstrue. I think the programs are great. I think helping and encouraging kids to ride is great. I'm just a little saddened because somehow we went from kids getting themselves to school by bus or bike or feet to a line of cars parading in front of the school to drop everyone off. And now we need special programs. Seems like a shame that we need them, but I'm glad the programs are there.
Different times. Fewer cars and nicer, less distracted drivers. Fewer worries about what might happen to your kids. Not everything has been an improvement.
Old 02-18-19, 06:35 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
When I was a kid we weren't allowed to ride bikes to school. They didn't want to have to deal with all the theft that surely would have resulted. For one year, a friend's sister lived just up the block and we could ride and park in her yard, but the rest of the time we were consigned to hoofing it.
Old 03-25-19, 01:48 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E

Sad but true. I live not far from a family that has children that attend the school 3 blocks away. And they drive there. When I was at that school in the early 90's many kids walked there. Today there is a line of cars going for blocks each day. Something has to change to end this madness.

While I too am glad to see the push to ride a bike. I also am sad people have to be reminded they have feet and can get to school in ways other than a car.
Old 03-27-19, 09:11 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 399 Posts
When I was old enough to ride, I rode to school, there were no special programs, no helmets were required. All we were required to do was to lock our bikes in the fenced bike parking area. I was a BMX fan until junior high school, and rode every day the weather allowed. Until I was old enough to drive, I was something of a bike nerd, helping around at a bike shop (I wasn't old enough to "work"), and riding a century almost every weekend. I kept my bike in the back room at the library, as it was a little too nice to put in the bike parking.

Then I started driving, and didn't get back onto bikes until some years later. When I was attending university, and commuting by car 110 miles per day, cycling to school was clearly not an option.
Old 03-31-19, 08:19 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
We have Safe Routes to School initiatives. They're part of the city planning documents (https://www.cityoflacrosse.org/filest...R2S_Report.pdf), though I'm not sure how well the planning transfers into action. The Wisconsin Bike Fed is also available to provide training and guidance for parents and students (Bike & Walk to School | Wisconsin Bike Fed), though again, it depends largely on the schools, their location, and whether or not parents are interested. There's a few schools that are basically on a highway with no sidewalk.

For most of my time growing up in Michigan, walking or biking to school was not an option due to busing and nonexistent cycling infrastructure. My city assigned students to schools in order to ensure similar ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic diversity in public schools (which IMO was a really good thing). This meant that kids in my neighborhood ended up going to school somewhere across town - but we actually walked to the bus stop, which was not always close, waited around in our boots and snowpants, and took the yellow bus.
Old 04-22-19, 01:59 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
We also have a "Safe Routes to School" program.

https://www.oregonsaferoutes.org/
https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Programs/Pages/SRTS.aspx

I think it does involve route planning, and perhaps path development.

Unfortunately, the other that has happened locally is that most of the local rural gradeschools have been closed. I'm not sure what happened. Perhaps dwindling enrollment due to an aging rural population.

Closing the schools means that "Safe Routes" no longer exist for the rural population.

Here, the gradeschool, about 1 mile from my house was shuttered and repurposed as a special needs school.

They did keep a gradeschool open about 5 miles from my house, as one of the few remaining rural schools, but that last mile to get to the school is just a miserable section of road.

I would have zero qualms about sending a 6 year old that 1 mile to the local school that is no more. But, would seriously question sending a kid to the remaining local school.
Old 04-25-19, 10:44 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Our safe routes to school program here is a joke. In fact, since it started up FEWER students ride bikes to school because their primary message is that cycling is scary and dangerous. When I pick up my granddaughter who is in kindergarten, I pass through a high school and another elementary school. The total number of students is about 1500 and on a typical day there are about 10 bikes in the racks.

My lucky granddaughters get to ride quite a bit. The pre-schooler rides 50 miles per week with me and her sister is with us for a bit under half of those miles. Fun times, but I feel bad for the other kids who trudge off into cars while looking longingly at us riding away.
Old 05-05-19, 04:43 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I don't know about a ride to school program, but some schools have a "walking school bus" program where the kids walk in a group.
Old 05-06-19, 03:05 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by ironwood
I don't know about a ride to school program, but some schools have a "walking school bus" program where the kids walk in a group.
Apparently our area has that. I see the signs but I've never seen the kids walking.