Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dropout axle insertion limiting screws

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 10:41 PM
Sjtaylor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 20 Posts

I’m getting to know my 1985 Trek 770 frame. I notice that those little screws are screwed in pretty far limiting the rear axle from being inserted deep into the dropouts. The chainstay length is already really short and I think I could gain maybe 3/8” in crank to rear axle distance by turning out the screws. I’ll probably need to add links to the chain and maybe it would mess up the derailleur operation.

It looks like from the witness marks that the axle was once further into the dropouts than it is now.

Is there a proper adjustment for these screws other than to center the rim in the frame?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-19, 10:49 PM
neilG

Bikes: Madone, De Rosa, Langster, old Brit track iron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pretty much all they do is help you center the wheel when you put it back in. You could even remove them if you wanted to move your axle further back.
Old 07-18-19, 01:00 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Wheel placement in horizontal dropouts can influence shifting and the cog size that can be accommodated. Depends on the bike and rear derailleur and shifter system. My '89 Centurion Ironman with Suntour GPX group is picky about rear wheel position in the dropout.
Old 07-18-19, 08:21 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I am not certain that it would necessarily "mess up" the derailleur but it would certainly require re-doing the indexing adjustment.
Old 07-18-19, 08:30 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Sjtaylor
I’m getting to know my 1985 Trek 770 frame. I notice that those little screws are screwed in pretty far limiting the rear axle from being inserted deep into the dropouts. The chainstay length is already really short and I think I could gain maybe 3/8” in crank to rear axle distance by turning out the screws. I’ll probably need to add links to the chain and maybe it would mess up the derailleur operation.

It looks like from the witness marks that the axle was once further into the dropouts than it is now.

Is there a proper adjustment for these screws other than to center the rim in the frame?

Thanks.
Be warned--you're lengthening your rear-center--which means an effectively long chainstay length--which means your chain may end up too short.
Old 07-18-19, 08:54 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Is there something wrong with the way the bike works now? If not, why change anything? If so, is moving the axle back 3/8" a likely fix?
Old 07-18-19, 06:14 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
If you have friction shifting, none of that shifting chatter makes any difference. I would be surprised if the chain needs to be adjusted either. I've read about these things here, for nearly 10 years, and have never had to adjust chain length for this reason. Dumb luck perhaps.
Old 07-18-19, 08:04 PM
Sjtaylor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 20 Posts
Here’s what I’m thinking...with the triple the chain alignment would better although the short distance I’d gain may be insignificant in that regard. The most important fix would be more room for a larger tire. I brought home a Bontrager 28c tonight to see how it fits in the frame. I’ll back out those screws when I try the larger tire and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the responses.