Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Really? Another Trek 710?!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-19, 11:00 PM
lonesomesteve

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 65 Posts

I just acquired a “new” (new to me, that is) 1982 Trek 710. It’s always fun to buy a new bike, but this acquisition was more fun than usual, so I thought I’d share the story here.

In the interest of total transparency, I already own a 1982 Trek 710. It’s currently set up with a Shimergo, retro-roadie build–Campy 10 speed Ergo shifters shifting 8 speed Shimano in the rear, with a modern Campy Veloce crankset and Veloce FD up front, and modern Tektro dual pivot calipers. Yeah, it’s a Franken-build if ever there was one, but it works well and it’s a very nice riding bike. For me bikes are for riding, so I set them up in ways that meet my needs.

Here's the perfectly good 710 that I already owned.

Anyway, I obviously have no need for another 1982 Trek 710.

So, I was perusing Craig’s List on Saturday evening and ran across a recently posted ad for an ‘82 Trek less than a half hour drive away. It looked pretty good in the pictures. It didn’t have all of its original parts, but the parts that were there were mostly good stuff. The description noted the bike had paint missing in places, but claimed no dents and no significant rust. Sure, it was missing a chain, and the wheels were obviously non-original cheapies (Shrader valves!! Ghastly!). But, the asking price was only $100! If I already owned a dozen Trek 710s, I still wouldn’t be able to pass up one like this for $100.

The description was brief, and in it the seller mentioned that they had purchased the bike thinking they would convert it to 650b, like the Trek they had seen in Bicycle Quarterly, but they never got around to it and now it was time to let it go.

By the way, the Trek 650b conversion that was featured in BQ #58 is mine (“The Frek” is still going strong and it’s still my favorite bike). So not only was the price too nice to pass up, but this bike was destined to be a Frek!

I texted the seller immediately to ask if I could come take a look that evening. “Alex” answered pretty quickly and said, “totally!” Five minutes later I was heading out the door, and on the way out I said to my wife, the phrase she’s heard many times before, “I’m off to see a man about a bike.”

It turns out Alex was not a man at all, but rather an enthusiastic and amiable young woman, maybe 20-something. Even if Alex wasn’t quite as I had expected, the bike was exactly as she had represented it in the ad—well worth the asking price. When I mentioned that I was the builder and owner of The Frek in BQ, Alex was thrilled! To be honest, Alex made me feel a little like a rock star.

After a few minutes checking the bike out, I started thinking it might be the perfect lump of clay from which to mold another Frek for my 15 year old son who is starting to really get into bikes. It’s a little bit too big for him now, but if he grows into his feet, it will fit soon enough. When I told Alex my thoughts about making another Frek for my son, she was ecstatic!

So, a few minutes later I handed Alex a fresh $100 bill still warm from the ATM and loaded the bike into the car. As we said our goodbyes she said, “I look forward to seeing another Frek on the road!”

So, here it is.

Cyclone Mk II! Did I mention Biopace rings?

Yeah, yeah... I know the brakes aren't connected. I had to take pictures before the sun went down.

In the interest of making it rideable I’ve cleaned it up a bit, repacked the bottom bracket, thrown a chain on, and rewrapped the handlebars. Otherwise it’s still as it was when Alex sold it to me. The real transformation probably won’t start until the days get shorter and the weather turns ugly.
Likes For lonesomesteve:
Old 08-16-19, 06:18 AM
schundog

Bikes: Masi CXR, Trek Crossrip 3, Trek 5500 OCLV, 1982 Bianchi SS, Civia Kingfield Belt-Drive Commuter, Cannondale T700, Cannondale R600, Cannondale R800, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert, 1988 Peugeot Nice, Marin Bobcat Trail 3 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
VERY cool story! I love old Treks. My 1985 Trek 470 is one of the most comfortable bikes I own. I look forward to seeing the full transformation.
Old 08-16-19, 07:35 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Good story and nice find!
Old 08-16-19, 07:40 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Great find and story!

What is a Frek?
Old 08-16-19, 09:43 AM
lonesomesteve

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Great find and story!

What is a Frek?
Here's a picture.

It started life as a 1982 Trek 614. I added numerous braze-ons and made quite a few other modifications to turn it into a poor man's fully integrated constucteur style randonneuse. It was featured in the pages of Bicycle Quarterly a couple years ago. The name comes from a mashup of my last name and "Trek".
Old 08-16-19, 10:26 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by lonesomesteve
Here's a picture.

It started life as a 1982 Trek 614. I added numerous braze-ons and made quite a few other modifications to turn it into a poor man's fully integrated constucteur style randonneuse. It was featured in the pages of Bicycle Quarterly a couple years ago. The name comes from a mashup of my last name and "Trek".
Another nice bike and great story; thanks !
Old 08-16-19, 03:56 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Hey, it's the Seattle pervert bag lady statue. 😁😉 Nice grab, on the bike, and I support your decision to use a chain. 😁
Old 08-16-19, 05:06 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
To be honest, Alex made me feel a little like a rock star.
You are!!!

Your redesign of that bike has inspired a whole lot of people. Even people who aren't going to 650B their bikes- it's just a beautiful bike and a beautiful build.

Congratulations on the 710 score!!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-16-19, 08:26 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
That's an awesome story. I wish I could find a high end trek in my size like that around here!
Old 08-17-19, 10:36 AM
lonesomesteve

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
You are!!!

Your redesign of that bike has inspired a whole lot of people. Even people who aren't going to 650B their bikes- it's just a beautiful bike and a beautiful build.

Congratulations on the 710 score!!!
Ah shucks... That's awfully nice of you to say. But if I'm a rock star, then I'm the equivalent of the bass player in Weird Al Yankovic's band. Gugie... He's Keith Richards.
Old 08-17-19, 07:41 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
Ah shucks... That's awfully nice of you to say. But if I'm a rock star, then I'm the equivalent of the bass player in Weird Al Yankovic's band. Gugie... He's Keith Richards.
I happen to be close personal friends with Steve Jay.

Well... at least he autographed my Dare To Be Stupid jersey back in 1985...

AlFront by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

And I happen to be the bass player in Milwaukee's *PREMIERE* Rolling Stones "tribute" band.

You qualify as rock star.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 08-18-19, 04:30 PM
lonesomesteve

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I happen to be close personal friends with Steve Jay.

<snip>

And I happen to be the bass player in Milwaukee's *PREMIERE* Rolling Stones "tribute" band.

Wow! You, my friend are a genuine rock star!!

I had to look up Steve Jay on Wikipedia. He sounds like one awesome dude and a rock star of the first order.

We're surrounded by greatness here in C&V land!

Okay, back to bikes...

An update on the new Trek 710, since I've now got it set up for some serious riding.

I built a couple of 650b wheels for it, put on some lightly used Panaracer Pari-motos I had lying around, swapped the brakes for some long reach Tektro r559s, and put on a comfy Brooks C15 saddle. Other parts are pretty much what it came with. I just went for a 30 mile ride and completely fell in love with this bike. For some reason these old Treks are even better with 650b wheels and wide-ish tires. This is how it will stay until my son grows into it...

Likes For lonesomesteve:
Old 08-18-19, 04:46 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You don't have 92 Rolls Royces that that guru from the 80s who took over a small town in Oregon (Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh), so don't fret over an N+1 like this.

Your 710 has a buddy now. Lonely Treks are the worst. Find a pal to ride it with you.
Old 08-18-19, 05:07 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Hard to beat a vintage steel Trek frame for a comfortable ride. I've had several pass through my hands and they all rode like a dream. I've got three in my collection, one of my favorite vintage brands.