Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

REI bike fitting - any good?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 08-12-13, 04:28 PM
Cubey

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour (vintage)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am considering a new bike to take with me full timing in my mini motorhome. I have only ever bought a bike based on the wheel size so far. My current is a vintage (ladies) Schwinn Le Tour and I find it pretty comfortable but I'm not overly fond of the curled handlebars but maybe it's due to the bike not fitting me well. I had some old road bike once before but it was in rough shape, then the bearings fell out and I ended up just junking it and riding my mom's mountain bike instead.

However... when out of shape, I have been able to ride my Le Tour 20+ miles in a day. I was exhausted and in a litle bit of pain but nothing that a couple tylenol couldn't handle. So I guess the bike isn't TOO bad of a fit.

Anyhow, I see that REI offers biking fitting at time of purchase. Is that just them adjusting the seat and handlebars or is there more to it? I may wait until I get to a city with an REI to buy a bike if it's more than just seat height and handlebar raising.
Old 08-12-13, 07:08 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Cubey
I see that REI offers biking fitting at time of purchase. Is that just them adjusting the seat and handlebars or is there more to it?
Have you considered contacting the folk at REI regarding the precise extent of their services?

-Bandera
Old 08-13-13, 10:13 AM
fronesis

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
In my experience, REI doesn't really do what serious folks around here would call "bike fitting." They will find a bike that you can standover, that has a frame geometry roughly suited to your body sizes, and they will let you test-ride a lot of bikes. But they aren't going to do real measurements, and they aren't going to change out bars and stems and pedals in order to find your fit.

If you want/need to buy from REI, my advice would be:
1) Do all the competitive fit and wrench science measurements very closely and carefully, and find out what total reach and eTT numbers you need.
2) Go to REI and ride all the bikes that have those eTT numbers and roughly those total reach numbers.
3) Buy the bike that feels the best and that gives you enough room to play with your total reach, saddle height, etc.
4) Schedule an appointment with a FULL fitter for a detailed fit of you to the bike. Be prepared to pay $200 for the fitting and another $200 or so for stem/spacers/bars/etc.

The alternative to all of the above is to buy from a LBS that does REAL fitting. People on these boards talk about "their LBS" as if they all do serious fitting in this way, but I've been to half a dozen LBS's in a total bike city, and NONE of them really seemed interested in fitting me properly, even though I told them this was what I was looking for.
Old 08-13-13, 11:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
gotta be better than doing it yourself!
Old 08-13-13, 11:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
fitting a sub $200 bike?
Old 08-13-13, 06:00 PM
Cubey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
fitting a sub $200 bike?
I'm just asking questions right now trying to figure out my best route... which seems to be, for now, to stick with the vintage Le Tour I have.
Old 08-13-13, 06:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

saddle height looks damn short for the bar height, you that short legged?
Old 08-13-13, 06:14 PM
Cubey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, just inexperience with road bikes. I wear 30 length pants so I'm about average?
Old 08-13-13, 06:25 PM
ursle
Rolling along

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over and over I see
Put your heel on the pedal, sitting, the leg should be straight, (personally, I like a tiny bit of bend, tiny).
I observe most saddles to high, I suspect your's is to low, buy the wrench, do it yourself

Patience, the more you become comfortable with the subject, the easier it will be.
I live in S VT-NH, low population, but, there is a bike co-op trying to open, err, I bet there's one nearby you, a wealth of info
Old 08-13-13, 06:32 PM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to the store and find out what they do...Ask plenty of questions...
Old 08-13-13, 06:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Drop the fitting buzzword , you are going into a bike shop and the people that work there

will take out a few different sizes of bikes from the inventory and put you on them and let you test ride them..

The Pro fitting is more the point for the OCD set that want to maximize their ultomate competitive potential

Regular folks just buy Talk, some eyeballing tape measure deployments.. and some cred rubs off.

drop a few grand for something Custom and its another story..
Old 08-13-13, 07:12 PM
Cubey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This evening I raised up the seat above max height on the post, but I pulled it all the way out first and looked, it has lots left to stay put and I'm having no problems with it.

I do see how it's better for hills.. or maybe my legs are already getting used to the hills around here. I had it in a higher gear than I did yesterday when I could barely get up the higher hill.

You have to remember, this is my first road bike I am actually taking care of. The one other I had sbout 12 years ago, I beat the crap out of it then threw it away -- of course it was in poor shape to begin with. I used to think bikes were bikes, no difference. Welll, in 2004 I did learn a cruiser is only good for flat roads only. I took back the one I got at Wal-Mart and traded it for a dual suspension mountain bike.

The way bikes are marketed in big box stores, mountain bikes are the cheapest and offer the best features for the price. Plus shoppers think "it's tougher since it's meant for off-road use, it'll last longer than those whimpy skinny tire bikes that cost twice as much!". Not to mention that in mainstream (US) society, bikes are nothing more than toys for kids and transportation for people too poor for a car. Look on Wal-Mart.com. They have $500+ bikes listed under "toys", not "sporting goods".

Last edited by Cubey; 08-13-13 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-13-13, 10:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

The QC on REI bikes will be better Wally World is more cost controls Conscious ..
\
no repair staff, just assembly for sale by toy clerk..
Old 08-14-13, 05:13 AM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will find a big difference between a Walmart Schinn and a Dealer Schwinn Signature...BIG difference...And you will find a variety of bikes available, Not sure i saw your intended budget but make sure you shop around and test ride different bikes....I was shocked at the prices, styles and component differences returnin back to cycling after 23 years ...I took my old Mountain Bike out of the shed and it was rusted beyond quick repair...So off i went...I bought a Cannondale Hybrid and rode it for a month and figured out it was the wrong bike for me and was too small and traded it for a road worthy CAAD8...I only had a $500 budget but had to pony up a $100 extra to trade up to the CAAD...worth it in my opinion...
Old 08-14-13, 06:58 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
re: vintage Le Tour
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
002 Dads 90s LeTour.jpg (104.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg
LeTour2_DSC_5694.jpg (91.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 09-30-13, 11:12 PM
backonthebike

Bikes: 1985 Univega Nuovo Sport (DuraAce) 2010 Giant hybrid commuter (out on loan) 1985 Raleigh mixte Marathon (reworking) 1981 Raleigh mixte Gran Sport (refurbished) 1980ish Nishiki Competition 2000 Trek 520 and 2005 Trek 1000 2013 Marin Coast Trail mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Umm...this thread is kind of old, Cubey, not sure if it helps to comment here. 1) REI is a reputable place to buy a bike. Like any LBS, the luck you get there depends on who happens to work there. I've been a member of REI since 1987. They do not rip people off, they do not sell junk, and they stand by what they sell. 2) A Schwinn Le Tour is a quite respectable bike. If you don't like the old school racer handlebars, consider getting a different handlebar? You could maybe get a North Road style, or a trekking style. Search on Amazon with those two terms and see if something is appealing. Then go to any local reputable LBS and have them install. 3) Realize that many of the people on this forum are elitist, male, and not tuned in to the needs of women riders who are not going balls to the wall on every ride. Their commentary is interesting in an anthropological context, and more often than not helpful IF you have enough base knowledge to sift out what does not pertain to you. 4) A Schwinn Le Tour is often the choice of bike builders who snap them up by talking the original owner into believing they are old school crap, only to turn around an upgrade them with sexy spendy new components and putting them out on craigslist for $650 or more. If you like your Schwinn, consider having it upgraded and modernized to suit your handlebar preference. PM me if you so desire.
Old 09-30-13, 11:17 PM
Cubey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For now, I'm going to keep the Le Tour. Odds are I'll keep it until it falls to pieces, to be honest. I don't mind the handlebars too bad as they are.

I got a bike carrier for the back of my motorhome and the top bar adapter since it's a ladies style frame. I got an extra adapter for a mountain bike that I want to get later too.

It may not last very well being stored outside like that, but I'll try to protect it as best I can with a tarp. I am very mechanically included and have lots of tools, so I can keep things greased up properly if they start to get in poor bad shape. I don't really want to sink more than $100 in any bike up front since it has to live outdoors like that. Plus risk of theft is higher, even when it's chained it to the trailer hitch. I'd rather lose a $100 bike than a $500 bike.

Last edited by Cubey; 09-30-13 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 11:28 PM
backonthebike

Bikes: 1985 Univega Nuovo Sport (DuraAce) 2010 Giant hybrid commuter (out on loan) 1985 Raleigh mixte Marathon (reworking) 1981 Raleigh mixte Gran Sport (refurbished) 1980ish Nishiki Competition 2000 Trek 520 and 2005 Trek 1000 2013 Marin Coast Trail mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the ladies style of bike. For us shorter women it's harder to find quality bikes unless you have the money to drop with no concern. My mixte frame bikes are from the 80s and though they are not "elite" they work well for me. I have other more specialized bikes for when I need upper level performance. I really liked what happened to my bike when I changed from the drop style racing bars to the moustache style of handlebar. I got the bar for $17 on Amazon, and was able to install it with some of my husband's tools, I think my total investment with new bar tape was around $40. Now I am refurbishing my other mixte with a North Road handlebar, I think it was around $15 on Amazon, and I have more into it with new twist grip shifters and new brake levers. The step through style of frame is perfect for me; I can surely throw my leg over the back of the "men's" style of bike, but it's so much easier to just step through! For travelling in the motorhome, maybe you could carry the bike inside while travelling? Anyway good travels to you, I love the Schwinn Le Tour. You might be able to custom cut and duct tape a proper tarp cover for it! Happy trails, k
Old 09-30-13, 11:33 PM
Cubey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah, the way I'm going to be traveling, it would be too much trouble to try to shove the bike in and out several times a day. It's a tiny van style motorhome. While the bike CAN go inside, it takes up the main area where I would be hurting myself trying to get around it. I won't be staying in RV parks much. I'll be using Wal-Mart and Anytime Fitness parking lots.
Old 09-30-13, 11:38 PM
backonthebike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got it. Sounds like you are in for some good miles, good times! Your storage dilemma prompts me (again) to work out my idea for a cover that goes over the bikes when they ride on a hitch mount carrier...I've had lots of experience with getting to a venue and having the bikes loaded with road grime. Just never have pursued the cut and paste tailoring for a prototype bike cover...and anyway, maybe it's just one step too far!
Old 09-30-13, 11:40 PM
Cubey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can buy special covers but they are out of my price range at the moment.

https://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...2/product.html
https://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ke-cover/57961
Old 09-30-13, 11:53 PM
backonthebike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh! Someone beat me to it! Birthday coming up, maybe husband will spring for it! Doubtful, he always wants to DIY.
Old 10-01-13, 10:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

race oriented roadies have different needs than the JRA and look at the Nature around us , Majority.

there the fee based custom fitting may matter . usually the "fitting" is frame size selection
and then a conversation about stem extension choices if out of the box parts are not close enough.

I cannot speak for REI and their Bicycle department staff , as each store is, likely, different.

they may have an intake training for new mechanics there .. anyone worked in one?