Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Saddle-to-bar drop and saddle choice

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 01-29-15, 01:22 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

I'm planning a build that I want to feel a lot like my most comfortable current bike, but singlespeed instead of geared. I've chosen a frame with very similar geometry, and now I'm trying to decide on the saddle. I have a Gilles Berthoud Aspin (their "touring" model, comparable-ish to a Brooks B17) on my Bianchi Volpe, and I love it. I'm currently riding with my bars lower and saddle higher than when I first got it, though, and I'm wondering if I'm likely to find the Soulor (the "racing" model, comparable to the B15 variants) comfortable at all.

I've got the highest points of the saddle just under 2" higher than the top of my handlebars (not including the brake lever hoods), and I spend the majority of my time riding on the hoods. Sometimes the tops while negotiating narrower spaces or approaching intersections, and the drops/hooks really only ever get used when going down hills, usually coasting.

The Aspin has gotten several thousand miles of riding in the 1-1/2 years or so I've had it, but the Soulor has a really cool look to it that would really suit the aesthetics I'm going for with this bike...but, of course, comfort is king!

Racing shape on the left, Touring on the right:

Old 01-29-15, 04:46 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
I'm a fan of the GB Aspin (titanium Aravis, actually). Have you looked at the your break-in depressions on your Aspin and compared them to the width of the Soulor? And either Wallbikes or Rene Herse offer a 6-month guarantee. I recall that RH had some advice about the two types on their website. You might contact them to discuss the choices.

New Page 1
Old 01-29-15, 05:24 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

I tried, but there aren't any visible depressions!
Old 01-29-15, 05:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You Paid for thicker Leather , just ride More .. the sit-bone depressions will be Yours
Old 01-29-15, 06:05 PM
agmetal

Originally Posted by fietsbob
You Paid for thicker Leather , just ride More .. the sit-bone depressions will be Yours
6000+ miles in a year and a half! I'm certainly not complaining, as I love the saddle...just stating that there aren't any visible depressions. There may have been at one point, but I tightened the saddle a bit after getting used to a Charge Spoon.
Old 05-25-15, 03:40 PM
Andersper

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So did you end up getting a Soulor saddle? I'm also thinking about getting one but I worry that it'll be too narrow.
Old 05-23-16, 09:10 AM
atriot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andersper
So did you end up getting a Soulor saddle? I'm also thinking about getting one but I worry that it'll be too narrow.
Can anyone who has gone with an Aspin or Soulor update on their choice? I'm have a similar decision to make and would appreciate feedback.
Old 05-23-16, 09:20 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by agmetal
6000+ miles in a year and a half! I'm certainly not complaining, as I love the saddle...just stating that there aren't any visible depressions. There may have been at one point, but I tightened the saddle a bit after getting used to a Charge Spoon.
I'm currently using a Spoon, it's the best I've had yet but still leaves something to be desired. Would you recommend the GB Aspin to someone who like to Spoon but wants more all day comfort?
Old 05-23-16, 09:55 AM
agmetal

Originally Posted by Andersper
Originally Posted by atriot
Can anyone who has gone with an Aspin or Soulor update on their choice? I'm have a similar decision to make and would appreciate feedback.
Originally Posted by dksix
I'm currently using a Spoon, it's the best I've had yet but still leaves something to be desired. Would you recommend the GB Aspin to someone who like to Spoon but wants more all day comfort?
I did get the Soulor, and put a lot of miles on it over several months (too long to take advantage of the Wallbike exchange policy, unfortuantely) before ultimately accepting that it's just too narrow. I sold it to a friend, and recently bought a second Aspin to replace it, which I still haven't put anywhere near enough mileage on to break in yet.

I'd definitely recommend the Aspin, although I'm not so crazy about the Spoon anymore.