Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

All-City Space Horse: What size are you riding? 5'7"

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-17, 09:05 AM
Boehmer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Calling All-City Space Horse riders - what size are you riding and what is your height/inseam/approximate fit on some other bikes?

Looking to pick up an All-City Space Horse, likely older model, maybe used, as a do-everything bike for my girlfriend. She loves it aesthetically and in theory, but hasn't had a chance to ride one yet, and as we know, availability on these can be pretty limited. She is ~5'7", ~30" inseam, pretty long arms, good flexibility. She'll err on the side of a less aggressive riding position. My gut was to look at the 52cm and 55cm, but after looking at the geometry chart, I'm tempted to search primarily for a 49cm, and mayyybe a 52, although it seems like a 52 might be a bit stretched with the 545 top tube. Am I right in thinking a 49 is my best bet? Or is 52 right? 55 is too big in this bike, yes?

For a general guide, would love to hear what size Space Horse (other other All-City's) that other people are riding and what your dimensions are. I realize I'll get some "not the proper way to fit a bike" comments...I agree! Just looking for general feedback. Thanks all.

Last edited by Boehmer; 05-02-17 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Changing title
Old 05-02-17, 01:22 PM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I don't have a Space Horse, but I ride a 52 (55 top tube) Macho Man Disc. I'm about 5'10, 31-32ish inseam, and generally fall right between sizes. I have shorter legs, so I like the 52 for some standover and run a 120 stem, but I could probably be comfortable on the 55 as well. I think the 55 would definitely be too big for your girlfriend, and would try to find a 49 first for her to try. Like you said, they are getting hard to find, and I think AC is discontinuing the Space Horse in favor of the Space Horse Disc.
Old 05-02-17, 01:49 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Not the proper way to fit a bike! Sorry, couldn't resist.

My understanding is that All City bike sizing is a little odd and people generally go 2 or 3 sizes smaller than "standard." Sounds like you're in the right ballpark, but the most important measurement, in my humble opinion, is top tube length. (Saddle height can be adjusted, top tube can't.) Once you nail down the proper TT you can look at the geometry chart and go from there.
Old 05-05-17, 01:10 PM
Boehmer

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
measurements

Thank you both - appreciate it. Still trying to get her in to ride one of these in person (or at least get a proper fitting on a bike with a similar geo), but in the meantime, got her measurements in the competitive cyclist calc. I know it's imperfect, but it's what I've got for now. Any further thoughts between 49cm and 52cm SpaceHorse after seeing these? Thanks!

Measurements:

Inseam - 32"
Trunk - 25.5"
Forearm - 13"
Arm - 25"
Thigh - 22.25"
Lower Leg - 19.5"
Sternal Notch - 52.5"
Total Height - 67.25"

Eddy Fit Recommendation:

Top Tube Length 53.2 - 53.6 Cm
Seat Tube Range CC 53.8 - 54.3 Cm
Seat Tube Range CT 55.5 - 56 Cm
Stem Length 9.8 - 10.4 Cm
BB Saddle Position 68.7 - 70.7 Cm
Saddle Handlebar 52.5 - 53.1 Cm
Saddle Setback 6.4 - 6.8 Cm
Seatpost Type Setback

All-City Space Horse Geo: https://allcitycycles.com/images/uplo...rse_Inst_F.pdf

Old 07-23-17, 05:47 PM
cdenniston

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
49cm

I picked up my Space Horse this past spring. I am 5'7"ish and I went with the 49cm. I was between the 49 and the 52 and I spent a lot of time riding both sizes. I really wanted to go with the 52 as the 49 just sounded wrong and looked very small, however, the 49 just felt better. If I had chosen the 52 I would've needed to shorten the stem considerably. The 49 has been great and I am happy with my decision. I am still running the stock 90mm stem but may step up to a 100mm.

Hope that helps.