Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Adaptive Technology for Cycling (one arm amputees)

Old 10-13-14, 09:47 AM
Norms

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

My final year group project is about adaptive technology for cycling, and we have decided to work on a product that would help one arm amputees. The designed product is intended for amateur riders. Basically we agreed on an arm extension that would be attached to the handle bar on the bike's side and on the shoulder or chest of the rider (maybe through a vest or a lightweight plate that would be comfortable too). We are thinking that this product could be attached on any bicycle (with modifications concerning the case) and it has the potential to be cheap. I will try to upload sketches of the design once they are done. Now through my research I have found a project similar to ours University of Michigan–Dearborn but I do not fully understand and I couldn't find any resources related to it to get in depth with this idea. Any advice would be great and if you have any further questions I am happy to elaborate.

Regards,
Norman
Old 10-19-14, 06:30 AM
FamilyMan007

Bikes: Dream Ti bike to celebrate turning 70 - frame by Seven; Cannondale Synapse carbon Ultegra 3 (2015 model), Cannondale Quick SL-1 (2012 model- donated to a friend); Bianchi touring bike (1985 - Sold); Raleigh Super Course (1975 - donated to friend)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Hi Norman,

No response at all ?? ... well I just want to note that I think it is great that your group has chosen such a project.

However, I am not sure if I can be of much assistance. My other posts in this section indicate that I have no personal experience in these matters (merely the proud Dad of a son - born without a right hand - who has done just about everything he wanted to do, including playing a violin & trumpet as well as riding a bike).

It is also the case that I am up in Canada - and we have wonderful resources (not usually so readily accessible in other countries) available to help in such situations.

The lessons I have learnt about one-handed bikes (over and above a focus on safely & effectively operating both brakes - see separate posts) include:
(a) the imperative that the release of the 'artificial' connection between individual and bike must be very quick / reliable;
(b) most solutions seem to be tailored to meet a specific individuals needs/desires.

Good luck in your endeavor - sorry I cannot be more help.
Old 11-21-18, 01:54 AM
traut

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Norman

It's a real a pity I'm only reading this now.
If by some weird chance you get this and still involved in your project id like to see what its about.

I'm from South Africa and really want to start cycling after i lost my left arm in an accident where it was amputated just above the elbow.
I need something to assist me while cycling to keep stability and help me ride uphill.

Thanks
Reyaan
Old 11-21-18, 02:16 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Reyaan,

I think there have been a number of solutions for amputees, and should be more threads if you look. Some kind of a cup of sleeve that you can put your stump into. One concern is that you never do anything that would risk injury. So, if you go over the handlebars, or crash, then you come free of the bicycle, and also don't hit yourself on any parts.

For hill climbing, I could imagine difficulties with standing and riding. In particular, an agressive rider will pull up on the bars, and also tip the bike towards the pedal that is pushing down. However, that may well not be necessary, and there are many reasons for all riders to consider doing the hill climb mostly seated. Just work on getting low enough of gears on your bike so you can keep the pedals turning while seated.

I think some riders also tie both brakes together for the good side, and there have been some solutions for shifters if needed. Bar-end shifters + brake shifters?
Old 11-22-18, 03:43 AM
traut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Clifford

I was routed to the forum via google as I was searching for adaptive devices for amputees.
I will go and have a proper look now through the site and go see for other threads on this topic.

Thanks you
Old 11-22-18, 10:37 AM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by traut
Hi Clifford

I was routed to the forum via google as I was searching for adaptive devices for amputees.
I will go and have a proper look now through the site and go see for other threads on this topic.

Thanks you
First thought when I saw this thread today was a youtube channel I have seen lately: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2e...6gVcAq2HSspKKw
Kind of late for the OP, though.
Old 11-23-18, 01:55 AM
traut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This should help me though thanks