Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Trek 970

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 09:03 AM
XPLSV

Bikes: 2004 Burley Paso Doble

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 970

I'm tryiing to make some space in the garage and have a Trek 970 that I picked up for my wife a couple years ago and she has never used it. I had picked it up used at a thrift shop and had about $150 worth of maintenance done on it at the local bike shop, so it is in solid running shape at this point. Appearance is pretty good, too. I was wondering what a fair price might be. It has a pretty small frame on it (for my pretty, small wife). Where exactly would I measure to get the frame size?

Thanks,

Bernard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trek_left_a.jpg (97.8 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg
trek_right_a.jpg (97.3 KB, 669 views)

Last edited by TMonk; 05-21-19 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-07-13, 09:13 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
C-T center of crank to top of seat tube. From the pics, it looks like an 18" frame.

I'd recommend some new tires, makes the bike look a lot fresher/newer. If you're amazon prime, no shipping for these at $10 each:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

You'll need narrower tubes too.

With new tires, in a large metropolitan market, I'd start at $175 and work your way down in $25 increments every 10-14 days. If you leave the old tires on, then start at $120.
Likes For oddjob2:
Old 06-07-13, 09:25 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
And raise the saddle up. Looks funny with the saddle all the way down.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 06-07-13, 09:38 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Oddjob's pricing suggestion sounds about right. If it doesn't need any work, I would find $100-150 to be a reasonable price. I've bought a few similar Treks for under $100, but they all needed work. Looks a touch taller than 18" to me. I think my Trek 900 is 18" and yours has a taller head tube.

In addition to raising the saddle, I'd also suggest removing the aero bars. They look a little awkward on a MTB (Not that the drop bars on mine don't also look a bit odd, but I'm not trying to sell it). You'll need better photos as well. I'd suggest taking a photo outside in bright shade or on an overcast day. I like taking the pics under my carport about an hour before sundown.

Likes For Yo Spiff:
Old 06-07-13, 09:42 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
Oddjob's pricing suggestion sounds about right. If it doesn't need any work, I would find $100-150 to be a reasonable price. I've bought a few similar Treks for under $100, but they all needed work. Looks a touch taller than 18" to me. I think my Trek 900 is 18" and yours has a taller head tube.

In addition to raising the saddle, I'd also suggest removing the aero bars. They look a little awkward on a MTB (Not that the drop bars on mine don't also look a bit odd, but I'm not trying to sell it). You'll need better photos as well. I'd suggest taking a photo outside in bright shade or on an overcast day. I like taking the pics under my carport about an hour before sundown.

Actually, that bike looks pretty cool with drop bars. If you listed that as a Trek Touring bike, you might get $100 more than if you just listed it as a Trek Mountain bike.
Old 06-07-13, 10:15 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Originally Posted by MRT2
If you listed that as a Trek Touring bike, you might get $100 more than if you just listed it as a Trek Mountain bike.
Good point, especially since I have sometimes referred to it as my LHT: Long Haul Trekker. Makes a bombproof and smooth riding utility bike. I'm probably putting knobbies back on it soon, however, as I now have a '92 Crosscut as my do everything bike.
Old 06-07-13, 10:18 AM
XPLSV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate all the info and advice. Thanks everyone!
Old 06-07-13, 11:52 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
Good point, especially since I have sometimes referred to it as my LHT: Long Haul Trekker. Makes a bombproof and smooth riding utility bike. I'm probably putting knobbies back on it soon, however, as I now have a '92 Crosscut as my do everything bike.
Knobbies? I thought they paved ALL of Fort Worth?
Old 06-07-13, 05:47 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I wish this was bigger and much closer! I would love to try one of these older lugged steel Treks.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 06-07-13, 08:27 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Originally Posted by oddjob2
Knobbies? I thought they paved ALL of Fort Worth?
We have some very nice gravel trails along the river. Often paralleling the paved trail, so we have options. And some of the streets around here are worthy of off road tires anyway.

Last edited by Yo Spiff; 06-07-13 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-09-13, 02:30 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I recently sold a similar lugged 950 in extremely good shape for $175 with MTB tires, so that sounds about right for yours too.
Old 05-13-19, 11:13 PM
adlu

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much did you end up selling this for? I'm planning a bikepacking trip in South America and looking for a solid old steel frame. It seems like the prices for these nice old vintage steel MTBs have gone up the last few years. I'm in the SF bay area, maybe that makes a difference!
Old 05-14-19, 12:28 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by adlu
How much did you end up selling this for? I'm planning a bikepacking trip in South America and looking for a solid old steel frame. It seems like the prices for these nice old vintage steel MTBs have gone up the last few years. I'm in the SF bay area, maybe that makes a difference!
You brought back alive 4 old treads about the Trek 970. Expand your search to the Trek 950, 930 and other upper end vintage mountain bikes like the stumpjumper. Look for Deore LX components or better. The most important thing is that it is your size and that it has your desired rack mounts.

I have a 950 that I'd value around $250-$300, but it is very clean and maintained.
Likes For katsup:
Old 05-14-19, 01:38 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Value

I bought a trek 970 with all deore in good shape. Awesome bikes. Anything like this would be very expensive today,, made in USA. That being said I paid 120.

Last edited by rossiny; 05-16-19 at 10:02 PM.
Likes For rossiny:
Old 05-14-19, 06:57 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts

+100 Don't single out a particular model or brand. Instead, look for a good vintage MTB in your size. Yes, SF is a more expensive market.

The 970 is a good bike, but its no better than similar offerings from other brands. I just picked up a Shogun Prairie Breaker. Turned out to have a Tange Prestige frame, and full XT parts. I had never heard of the model.

If you single out a search for a particular brand/model, you will tend to have to wait a long time and pay a high price. Meanwhile, you will likely pass on something just as good or even better from another brand.

Many buyers make the same mistake. So you can scoop up something really special, but of a brand you and most other buyers are not familiar with. Look for a good frame with good parts. In my case, a MTB that is full Deore XT and a Tange Prestige frame, I didn't need to know anything else. Bike sat on Craigslist for three days, at a low price. The brand could have been an "Uncle Jimbob", I didn't care.

When its "got to be" a particular brand, a particular model and a particular size, you are talking rare/rare/rare and you WILL pay top dollar. I've done that a couple of times and had to use ebay. So I overpaid, and had the added cost of shipping.

I bemoaned the lack of any vintage MTBs out there on the marketplace a month ago, then I have picked up three since then.....

"Seems like" = no real data. I have not seen an increase in pricing. OK, occasionally I see some silly high asking prices, but I ignore those. What I have seen is a reduction in these bikes for sale. "Real" MTB lovers tend to want the latest and greatest, full suspension, disk brakes, 29'r, etc.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.

Last edited by wrk101; 05-14-19 at 08:13 AM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 05-16-19, 01:57 AM
adlu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vintage steel mountain bikes - 1992 Marin Team Issue

Thanks for all your advice and info!

The night I posted on all those Trek 970 threads, I had just found a listing for one in excellent condition near me. I ended up not going after it because it was too expensive and the owner was firm on the price.

I found something that looks really nice today, but it's a bit over my budget if I include my desired upgrades.

It's a Marin Team Issue, most likely 1992 based on the decals in Marin's 1992 catalog. The size is right for me and it has mostly XT components (shifters, rim brakes, derailers, front hub), but I will need to replace the handlebar, pedals, and rear wheel. The crankset is Shimano biopace, and not sure about the cassette. Attaching some pics.

Does $350 seem reasonable?

One other thing - the seat stays don't have rear rack mounts. What has your experience been with p-clamps or other rear rack mounting options?

Thanks!

Old 05-16-19, 07:27 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
WOW, your market is expensive. It is rare to see a MTB without rack mounts. Personally, I prefer ones that have a mid fork front rack mount too.

$350 for that bike in my market? Not a chance. And then it needs work.

The question becomes how patient are you and how big of an area are you willing to look?

Top of the line frame there. Rear wheel do not appear to be XT. Condition is OK, not great.

Those brakes with the plastic spring bodies are not XT and are problematic in my experience. Not Shimano's finest moment. I would not ride to South America with those calipers (plastic bodies tend to break, and then the springs don't work).

At those prices, you could probably find one on Ebay and pay the shipping.

Last edited by wrk101; 05-16-19 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-16-19, 12:21 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
@adlu in my market, that Marin would be a strong pass. Having to replace the rear wheel and handlebar at that price seems unreasonable.

What size do you ride? I'm guessing ~20" looking at that Marin.

Edit: I had a quick look in the SF bay area and the below stood out. Most of these in my area these would be FMV, not as familiar with SF area.

1991 Rockhopper - $185
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik...886789252.html

Rockhopper - $50 = Maybe too small
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik...890324385.html

Specialized Stumpjumper = $120
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8780908510461/

Diamondback Apex = $120 = 17" frame <-- My choice if it fits you.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9913011412181/

Schwinn High Plains = $40
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6778279588291/

And I'd choose one of these over the above Marin and replace the fork
1993 Marin Rocky Ridge - $150
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik...887948520.html

Specialized Stumpjumper - $160
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik...871089181.html

Last edited by katsup; 05-16-19 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 09:39 PM
adlu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
WOW, your market is expensive. It is rare to see a MTB without rack mounts. Personally, I prefer ones that have a mid fork front rack mount too.

$350 for that bike in my market? Not a chance. And then it needs work.

The question becomes how patient are you and how big of an area are you willing to look?

Top of the line frame there. Rear wheel do not appear to be XT. Condition is OK, not great.

Those brakes with the plastic spring bodies are not XT and are problematic in my experience. Not Shimano's finest moment. I would not ride to South America with those calipers (plastic bodies tend to break, and then the springs don't work).

At those prices, you could probably find one on Ebay and pay the shipping.
Originally Posted by katsup
@adlu in my market, that Marin would be a strong pass. Having to replace the rear wheel and handlebar at that price seems unreasonable.

What size do you ride? I'm guessing ~20" looking at that Marin.

Edit: I had a quick look in the SF bay area and the below stood out. Most of these in my area these would be FMV, not as familiar with SF area.
Thanks guys for all your input and slapping some sense into me. You're totally right that I was blinded by that frame / fork and not considering the importance and cost of all the components I'd have to replace.
Also, yes, I'm not in a hurry so I can afford to be patient. It's good to be reminded of that. Good catch on the caliper brakes too - I actually have an aluminum hardtail Rockhopper with similar brakes that I'll have to replace soon exactly for the reason you stated - cracked plastic spring housings.

katsup - thanks so much for looking up those listings for me. I didn't even know about FB marketplace, that looks like a great resource. You're right, I need about a 19-20" frame (my inseam is 32"). I messaged the owner of that DB Apex to get the standover height - unfortunately it's too small for me. Also makes sense to expand my search to San Jose - it's a big city with lots of used bikes. It had been excluded from my search because it's outside of my 30mi radius.
That Marin Rocky Ridge looks amazing but alas it's aluminum.

I feel so much better equipped now in my search. Thanks for sharing all your experience and advice!
Old 05-19-19, 10:25 PM
XPLSV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow—that was so long ago, I don’t think I remember. I likely let it go for $125 or $100 back then.