Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-14, 03:30 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Those trails do look inviting, and also more than a little confusing. I can see why you consult the map from time to time! Remember, I live in a minor provincial capital, while you are in one of the great megacities of the world.
That might be a slight exaggeration
Old 02-12-14, 05:56 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
That might be a slight exaggeration
I don't know. Isn't Toronto the third largest city in North America? Or maybe fourth, after NYC, LA, and MC.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-12-14, 06:18 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,635 Times in 946 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
1. I like paper maps, and have a large collection of them.

2. The area where we live is not a flat grid of roads. It's very hilly and the roads meander, twist, and turn up and down those hills. Sometimes they end abruptly. Sometimes they turn to gravel or narrow tracks.

3. Google Maps is inadequate. Many roads exist that it does not show. Many roads have changed, and it does not show the changes. It doesn't tell you if a road suddenly turns to a narrow dirt track, and it isn't really good at showing elevation changes. But my new maps show all of that.
So do I. I don't have a large collection, but have quite a few. Recently I've collected a few older maps of Phoenix. I find the historical side of them interesting. Old or new on an exploratory trip the map is like a signpost saying check this place out. There are still a lot of places I found on maps that I haven't gotten to yet. One day.

Google maps or earth is fine here in Phoenix. Yes there are errors but the paper maps have errors as well. You just have to figure them out.

We are on a flat grid here. Major arteries define 1mi by 1mi squares, minor arteries exactly 1/2 mi from the majors. You can almost calculate distances from two addresses in your head. Don't really need maps to go from point A to B but I still like them.
Old 02-12-14, 07:46 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Rode to work, it was sunny today.
Squeezed in a ride before the snowstorm
coming tomorrow.

New York City 14F/-10C by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 02-13-14, 03:17 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Another walk to another map shop. This one was fascinating ... all sorts of different kinds of maps (new ones, old ones, big ones, little ones, relief ones ...) plus travel books of all sorts plus heaps of good framed photos of nature, scenery, etc.

I bought two more maps ... 1:250,000 topographical maps of the eastern side of Tasmania.
Old 02-13-14, 04:30 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by cooker
I have no trouble with the "big picture" and navigating to any destination by bike or car, based the map in my head. However, sometimes I set out on a long rec ride across the city specifically intending to link a series of ravine trails and power corridor paths and so on, that have limited access points to city streets, and I have to periodically check the city bike map to make sure I haven't missed a connection. See eg. https://www1.toronto.ca/City%20Of%20T...gMap_tile7.png
Yeah, we've got a bit of that here too. There's one route I'm looking at that is fairly straightforward for the first approx. 15 km to the top of the hill ... but then there's a turn-off and there are a few twisty roads that look like they go down the hill a way, then there should be a link to a trail which should take me over a pedestrian bridge, through a park and onto an esplanade ... and I'm not quite sure where I'd go from there.

But I'll be consulting the map for the bit from the top of the hill to the esplanade and beyond.

Google is vague ... but the map appears to be more comprehensive.
Old 02-15-14, 07:32 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

A test ride through an area we're interested in, to the top of a hill ... plus a little detour to a beach and to a café.

More details, photos, etc.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...February-15-16
Old 02-16-14, 06:08 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Machka
A test ride through an area we're interested in, to the top of a hill ... plus a little detour to a beach and to a café.

More details, photos, etc.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...February-15-16
And today ... 87.65 km recreation/training ride.

Check the site above for more details.
Old 02-16-14, 03:46 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pedaled over to Surplus Herbies and picked up a new orange, hi-vis jacket and vest for the coming road destruction season.
Old 02-17-14, 11:01 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
We had quite a bit of snow today, and I didn't have to go in to work (but not because of the snow - because it's Monday.) I took the opportunity to do some walking errands - places such as the bank and city hall that aren't that far, are open only during business hours, and where I feel a little funny tromping around in dirty bike gear and a ski mask.

Fun errands included: bank, city treasurer to license my pets, store to get food for my pets, post office, the new house (to shovel), and Walgreens (geez I need candy after all that walking.)

While getting my pets all licensed up, I overheard a woman paying her college-age daughter's parking ticket. She was complaining that there's not enough parking in my town, and was threatening to move because of it. (What's kind of funny is that most parking is free - there's not even meters. The issue was that all the parking within a block or two of the various colleges has a two hour limit.)
Old 02-17-14, 11:19 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I say a bank thermometer claiming it was 75 degrees F as I rode in shirtsleeves today. It was just riding around doing errands. 6 days ago we were supposed to get 2-4" of snow. Nice change.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-18-14, 12:21 AM
seafoamer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
took a late afternoon sightseeing scoot around my new location
Old 02-18-14, 09:09 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I rode out to a business mixer about 6 miles away. Riding home at night I had my shirtsleeves rolled up! It was also a first test for using dual headlamps. One was set on flash to notify cars, the other was on constantly and aimed at the road. The roads were narrow, winding and unlit.

I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-20-14, 04:48 PM
nostalgic

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I walked my bike to the bike shop, which is about 5 miles away. I got my tires retubed and sealed, and now I'm in business!
Old 02-20-14, 07:14 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
I say a bank thermometer claiming it was 75 degrees F as I rode in shirtsleeves today. It was just riding around doing errands. 6 days ago we were supposed to get 2-4" of snow. Nice change.
That is close to what we had, couple of degrees cooler and o'cast. Drove to a big city 125 miles away yesterday, there was still snow on the north sides of the embankments left over from the snowmaggedon of last week. Looks like yet another cold front heading our way with a good shot of "wintry mix" next weekend.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-21-14, 11:39 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Tonight was the awards ceremonies for the local advertising folks. To do some networking I've been helping out on the committee that put on the ceremony. Since this is the groups 100th anniversary, part of what I contributed was a display of old tools and ad samples from my portfolio.

So it was late when I left the venue where the ceremony was and pedaled back from downtown Little Rock. A bank thermometer said it was 46 degrees F. Traffic was calm. Cool, but I had to remove a layer about half way through. About a 9 mile ride.

Old 02-21-14, 11:58 PM
CenturionIM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the heck, how do you guys trust the road when it is covered by snow/ice...i can't.
Old 02-22-14, 06:25 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CenturionIM
the heck, how do you guys trust the road when it is covered by snow/ice...i can't.
Various methods... I have used studded tires in the past, currently I just don't ride if the roads are bad. Around here the snow is usually gone in a day or two.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-22-14, 10:56 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by CenturionIM
Here are a few observations, based on many years of riding (and driving) in Michigan winters:
  • It isn't so much about "trusting the road". It's more about trusting yourself (self-confidence).
  • Ride frequently in different conditions to develop confidence and skill.
  • Remember skidding your dad's car around in empty parking lots to practice snow driving? You should do the same with your bike--practice skills in a safe location before you try them in traffic.
  • A bike with studded tires handles much better than a car on slick ice.
  • The bike has less power than a car to get through deep snow, so you get stuck a lot.
  • It's easy to get a bike unstuck, compared to a car--just hop off and walk.
  • Bikes handle well in fresh wet snow, but you will get very exhausted if the snow is more than a couple inches deep.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-22-14, 04:23 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Here are a few observations, based on many years of riding (and driving) in Michigan winters:
  • Remember skidding your dad's car around in empty parking lots to practice snow driving?
Ummm, no.

Old 02-22-14, 04:52 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Ummm, no.
Well, that's how most of us learned here. Dad took you to an empty parking lot after it snowed, and had you learn how to brake on ice, steer out of a skid, and so forth.

It's a northern rite of passage.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 02-22-14 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-22-14, 10:28 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Well, that's how most of us learned here. Dad took you to an empty parking lot after it snowed, and had you learn how to brake on ice, steer out of a skid, and so forth.

Yep. Dad took you to an empty parking lot and made you accelerate to 35 MPH and then slam on the brakes. After doing this once, you're almost guaranteed to never do it again. (Anti lock brakes might have changed this a bit.)

Honestly, I think it's nearly impossible to get traction on bare, thick sheets of ice without studs. As I am studless this winter (slowly rebuilding my supply of winter gear), I try to seek out parts of the street that have some traction: snow, crunchy stuff, even dirt spewed from cars is an improvement. I've also been a bit more creative with route planning; I know which streets the city does first, and take those ones when it's especially bad.
Old 02-23-14, 02:02 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

On Saturday ... we cycled from the B&B we were staying in out to the Evandale Village Fair and National Penny Farthing Championships. That was great!! I'm fascinated by penny farthings and to spend the day watching them in action was wonderful.

https://www.evandalevillagefair.com/
Old 02-23-14, 10:46 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Yeah, in Florida and Southern California, there weren't many snowed over parking lots.

Old 02-23-14, 12:00 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Yeah, in Florida and Southern California, there weren't many snowed over parking lots.
You missed out on some fun. OTOH, we didn't get to do much surfing in Michigan.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.