Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

New Electra Cruiser 1 Matte bark

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-19, 04:23 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts

I picked up my new Electra Cruiser 1 in Matte Brown today . The color looks more bronze than brown . I hope it grows on me . I probably should have bought another matte black .
I noticed the welds on this Electra aren’t as nice and smooth as the ones on my black C1 . Not the quality I expected . But Electra is owned by Trek now . I hope this one holds up as good as my older one that was made when Electra was Electra .
They had the seat setup for somebody with an inseam a lot longer than I have .
When I got it home , I snapped a picture of it stock as I picked it up .
Then I lowered the seat and took it for a short ride . I didn’t ride more than 1/2 mile , I didn’t care for the saddle or the position they had it set . Back to the garage.
I pulled the cruiser seat and installed my Brooks Antique brown B17 Imperial. Made it to the end of the driveway and realized the saddle was too low . Once adjusted I road about a mile and realized I missed my front brake that I have on my black C1 .
My new caliber for this bike hasn’t arrived yet , so I used the old salvaged caliber I’d had on the black one and installed a front brake on it and while I was at it , I installed my leather grips and Cateye 9 bike computer.
I wished I’d waited on ordering the Maxxis tires , the stock tires aren’t bad at all . I’ll hold off on installing them .
I wanted to put on my platform pedals but found out this bike has 1/2” pedals , so I had to order a set of 1/2”to 9/16” extenders .
I’ve got it setup enough to take for my morning ride tomorrow.

Last edited by OldCruiser; 08-03-19 at 11:28 AM.
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-03-19, 12:31 AM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
How do you like the bars? They look narrower compared to your other bike?
Old 08-03-19, 07:09 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by JehD
How do you like the bars? They look narrower compared to your other bike?
They are different in shape , but I measured the distance between the bar ends this morning using a piece of string I had handy and they’re the same width .
After riding this morning my hands weren’t as numb as they had been after riding . Don’t know if it’s the bar shape or the leather grips . I have rubber gel grips on my black C1.
I may swap out the tires today and add my short stubby fenders . My platform pedals will have to wait until my 1/2 to 9/16 extenders get here . Waiting on the front brake caliper too.

Last edited by OldCruiser; 08-03-19 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-03-19, 08:37 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
I picked up my new Electra Cruiser 1 in Matte Brown today . The color looks more bronze than brown . I hope it grows on me . I probably should have bought another matte black .
That bronze/brown looks good to me. Congrats on the new ride.
Old 08-03-19, 10:11 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by FiftySix
That bronze/brown looks good to me. Congrats on the new ride.
Thanks !

I swapped out the tires today today and was going to add the front brake , but some dummy ordered a rear caliper . So , with the bigger tires and my 280+ pounds , I think I’m going to add a front and rear brake . The build is coming along . Should be finished by the end of next week .
By the time I get finished changing out and adding parts , I probably could have bought the Lux 7 Fat Tire . But I wanted a SS .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 08-03-19 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-03-19, 05:47 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Thanks !

I swapped out the tires today today and was going to add the front brake , but some dummy ordered a rear caliper . So , with the bigger tires and my 280+ pounds , I think I’m going to add a front and rear brake . The build is coming along . Should be finished by the end of next week .
By the time I get finished changing out and adding parts , I probably could have bought the Lux 7 Fat Tire . But I wanted a SS .
I do the same thing. I'll buy a bike thinking I will like the machine as it comes, but within weeks I'm changing things out.
Old 08-03-19, 06:10 PM
OldCruiser

I do the same thing. I'll buy a bike thinking I will like the machine as it comes, but within weeks I'm changing things out.
I had plans for this one before I bought it . I just didn’t add up all of the prices before I started ordering. .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-04-19, 04:11 PM
OldCruiser

I was able to install my platform pedals today . Then took it for a 3.5 mile cruise around the neighborhood. With the 2.5” Maxxis Hookworms, I need my front brake . I probably should park it and ride my Black C1 until I’m finished with it , but I have a hard time leaving it home .
The Maxxis do require a little more energy to get them rolling and stopped. I’m thinking I may not have liked the Fat Tire 7D Lux I almost bought .
I don’t mind the extra energy needed to ride my new C1 , because part of the reason I’m riding is for the exercise. Gives me a better workout .
My front brake should be here Tuesday . Maybe a picture Wednesday.
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-05-19, 07:31 AM
OldCruiser

Updated picture . The cheapo front caliper will be replaced Wednesday. This one isn’t even functional, it scrubs the tires when I attempt to use it .
I have a gold chain I need to swap out or a red one , I haven’t decided yet . I’d like some kind of handlebar or saddle bag . Need to attach a water bottle cage too .
Road the black C1 1.5 miles this morning, then swapped to the new C1 for 2.5. The 1.9 Kendas do roll a little easier , but don’t look as cool .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-05-19, 07:32 AM
OldCruiser

Thumbs down

The other side
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-05-19, 06:02 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Nice additions.
Old 08-05-19, 07:14 PM
OldCruiser

Added a rear rack , and a bottle cage today . Also swapped out the seat post for a modern style . Adjusted the handlebars down a little . Top tube bag , and my parrot horn .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-07-19, 09:38 PM
OldCruiser

Update : I pulled the Maxxis and installed some Kenda 1.9 semis . Had a flat on the rear yesterday with the Maxxis and decided while I had the wheel off , I’d swap them out .
It pedals easier now , but when a friend invited me to go riding with him on a cart path this morning, I chickened out taking my Cruiser 1 because of some hills I remembered on the route . I took my Specialized Hardrock I’ve got setup as a Cruiser but with gears . I did steal Brooks Imperial off my Black C1 and it helped me make the 9.5 miles . After the ride , it wasn’t as hilly as I remember, I should have taken one of the C1’s . Maybe next time .
may put the Maxxis’s on a Fuji frame I converted to Single speed and build it back into a Cruiser.
Longest distance I’ve ridden in four years . Hopefully I’m getting back in ride shape .
edit: I put the Maxxis Hookworms back on and decided to install a three speed Nexus hub .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 08-12-19 at 02:57 PM.
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-12-19, 02:54 PM
OldCruiser

I swapped the rear hub out this morning for a Three Speed Shimano Nexus I had purchased a couple of years ago and remembered having trouble getting it to shift right .
I had also reinstalled the Maxxis Hookworms.
I spent a couple of hours working on it this morning.
I watched several videos and set it up just as suggested, but it just wouldn’t work right. Mostly stayed in first gear . Then first I screwed the adjustment screw a little further out , putting the yellow mark just on the second line , no go . After several removals and resetups , I got to playing around with the adjustment screw and changing gears each time I made an adjustment without test riding . I had only got it in third gear a couple of times .
As it turns out , I ignored the yellow mark and set the adjustment where the shifter would actually shift in and out of all three gears . Eureka! I finally got it to give me three speeds . It still doesn’t shift smooth all of the time , but it is working . I hope it just needs breaking in .
I like having the first two gears , doubt I’ll ever have a use for third .
Live ordered another wheel set with a three speed Nexus hub . I hope it sets up a little bit easier.
Old 08-12-19, 03:56 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

I swapped the rear hub out this morning for a Three Speed Shimano Nexus I had purchased a couple of years ago and remembered having trouble getting it to shift right .
Did you already have the Nexus 3 in another wheel, or did you have to lace it into the existing Electra wheel?
Old 08-12-19, 04:02 PM
OldCruiser

Did you already have the Nexus 3 in another wheel, or did you have to lace it into the existing Electra wheel?
I already had the rear wheel from a wheel set I bought a couple years ago but got frustrated trying to get it to work and left my original C1 as a single speed and stored the wheels upstairs in my garage , until today .
Old 08-12-19, 05:38 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Looks great. I can tell that you're a tinkerer!
Old 08-12-19, 06:07 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by coopman
Looks great. I can tell that you're a tinkerer!
Just a little bit
Old 08-12-19, 06:47 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

I already had the rear wheel from a wheel set I bought a couple years ago but got frustrated trying to get it to work and left my original C1 as a single speed and stored the wheels upstairs in my garage , until today .
I've got a spare 2-speed hub laying around and I originally wanted to install it into an existing wheel, but I'm going to have a whole 'nother wheel built for it.

I just got to decide if I'm going to make a project out of it and do it myself this coming fall or winter.
Old 08-13-19, 06:08 AM
OldCruiser

I went for a short ride this morning . First time out with the three speed Nexus . The shifter worked maybe twice and then I was stuck in first gear .
I spent some more time searching and reading about issues with the Nexus 3S and I think this unit has the wrong size pushrod . I read there were several of them sold awhile back with the wrong part in them .
I’ll be pulling the rear hub today and going back to SS until I can get the part I need . I found the part on line but will wait and compare the rod to the one in the wheel set I have on order .
I’ve alway read these hubs are just about bomb proof , but my experience has not been a positive one .
Old 08-13-19, 09:15 AM
OldCruiser

After the ride this morning, I got busy switching everything out . Gone is the Nexus 3S and the Maxxis Hookworms , replaced with the original SS wrapped with some Creme 1.9x26 Kenda City Slicks .
A new look . I think I like it !
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-22-19, 02:03 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Looks real good. I like the color of the frame.
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 08-29-19, 03:20 PM
Doogan

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your bike looks really sharp. The whole color scheme looks great. I really like the leather grips. What kind are they?
Old 08-29-19, 03:34 PM
OldCruiser

Thanks , I’ve removed the rear rack . I think it looks better without it . Saving the rear rack for my fat tire Lux in the near future.
The grips came from Amazon, they’re “ Alomejor Leather Bicycle Grips” they surprised me how nice they are and how good they lock on the bars . Time will tell how long they’ll last .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 08-29-19, 03:40 PM
Doogan

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you tried any of the leather grips made by Brooks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.