Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

First Official Folding Bike Thread!! :) Name Your Bike!

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

First Official Folding Bike Thread!! :) Name Your Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-19, 05:54 AM
critterium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dahon Vybe D7...
Old 08-06-19, 09:47 AM
Braddass

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Origami Crane 8 Folding Bike

I just recently entered into the folding bike world, commuting reasons, and working between two buildings separated by about a mile. So far it has been a blast being able to get around fast and easy. Let me say that Origami is a Great product at a Great price point. I looked for over a year for bikes, reading reviews, visiting web sites, and forums. I was not impressed with a lot of products out there, and did not want to pay the prices for the popular products. I wanted to see products in person.

I had seen the Origami product listed during my search, never gave it much thought, because I thought they were just as expensive as the others. But, about a month ago I stumbled across this site and read some reviews, and threads asking about Origami. I was impressed that the owner responded to the threads, provided honest feedback on other products, and resolved issues related to his if there were any.

So, I went to the web site, and found out that Origami was based out of Richmond, not to far from me. I emailed the contact, and to my surprise Paul (Owner) was the one that responded, after a few questions, and making an appointment, I was able to go and see his product first hand. They did not disappoint, I was able to test a couple of models, and chose the Crane 8. It is light, it is quality, solid, fun to ride, and easy to fold. My son wants the Wasp which he was able to test (sounds like a good Christmas gift). After almost a week of riding I couldn't be any happier with my choice, and am glad I didn't just order anything that looked good online.

I will follow up with this when I can.

Paul is great to deal with, the customer support he and Origami offer is better than I have experienced (they stand behind their bikes). He set everything up, checked it out, and told me to reach out if I have any questions or issues. I will definitely be a returning customer. If you are in the DMV area and looking for a folding bike please reach out to Origami and consider their product.
Likes For Braddass:
Old 08-12-19, 08:44 AM
WildGrok

Bikes: Stowaway, Diamondback, Citizenbike, Origami, Dahon

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Same experience with Paul here: I bought an Origami from them, and he personally responds to questions really fast
Old 08-17-19, 08:06 AM
hanggoroz21

Bikes: MTB, Folding Bike, Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this forum and was wondering if any one can tell me where I can get a threaded 20 inch folding bike fork? Preferably an online store that can ship to Indonesia.

Thanks!
Old 09-12-19, 11:27 AM
jetlagged

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
just bought a zizzo liberte folding bike last month. took it out on a 30 mile ride around town, going up the foothills with an elevation gain of 800 feet. man it was hard. with a road bike, it takes me 2 hours to do 30 miles.but with a folding bike, it took me over 3 hours. i had a workout for sure. but it was fun. can't wait to take it out to los angeles and san francisco and ride it on the bike trails they have by the coast.
Likes For jetlagged:
Old 09-30-19, 05:20 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts

Finally had this delivered by a friend while he traveled from Florida to Mass.

My 2004 Dahon Mariner D6. Lots of ideas for upgrades as I go.

As received and then taken down for a complete clean, lube and rebuild.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 01-05-20, 02:48 AM
50kguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BikeFriday NWT
Old 01-21-20, 01:01 AM
Tanzero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me identify this folding bike

Old 04-28-20, 11:42 AM
LeChatNoir

Bikes: Priority Classic, Origami Gazelle (Wifey), Origami Wasp

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Hello everyone just wanted to join the first Folding Bike Club. My first ever folding bike was the Kettler 20" I-On a couple of years back. However that was a shared bike between my good friend and myself to use at the shipyard to get from one place to another quickly.

So fast forward to the present, I was in the market for a folding bike to get the wifey. At first Amazon and other online retailers has a wide range to choose from, but ultimately decided on two requirements: either a brand name that I was somewhat familiar with (Which were Dahon, Citizen, and Brompton), or an established brick and mortar store with a good warranty / return policy.

After all the reading up I can do with all the local bike shops, I went with Origami Bicycles. Decided the Gazelle fit my needs and had great value. Ended up talking to Paul to make an appointment to come try out bike in person to make sure everything about the Gazelle was a perfect fit for my wife. Made the hour and half drive up to go check out the bikes and Paul was very knowledgeable with his bike and if I remember correctly is that also designs all his bike himself with the exception of the carbon fiber bikes. The Gazelle would be my wife's first bike in quite a while and Paul was able to show the both of us how to properly setup the bike, do the proper checks, things to watch out for and how to fix them. There were things that even I learned from Paul as he explained the proper use of the bike. Way better than the "figure it out as I go" attitude I had with the Kettler I-On I shared with my buddy years ago. Back then we both just used the bike as a quick point A to B transportation rather than enjoyed it. If the brakes were stiff we just used out tools to loosen it, or go to the shop and grab grease for the chain, no problem! Haha! Don't get me wrong, we didn't treat the bike as a beater or trash it around, but we certainly did use it.

My wife and I got to test ride the Gazelle, and figured since I was there I was able to test out some of the other models. Originally we just came to the shop for the Gazelle, but I ended up picking up the Wasp as well. Sure I could have spent an extra $50 and upgrade to the bigger wheels and disk brakes, but for me the smaller form factor was more important and it's role would have been more of a "last mile transportation" any ways since I already have a belt driven Priority Classic.

So now my wife is a proud owner of the Gazelle and myself a proud owner of the Wasp.

Ill post a picture once I can figure out how to upload photos, and leave a review after a month or two of owning the bikes. I will say after riding them for a couple days so far, they feel great!
Likes For LeChatNoir:
Old 06-14-20, 01:37 AM
dragoonO1

Bikes: My bicycles have two wheels.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
ZiZZo Via

I bought a ZiZZo Via a year ago to improve my mobility outdoors and get from the parking lot to the door or wherever my destination was while I recover from old injuries. It's been a mobility aid, and I hope to use it for multimodal travel or city riding in the future. The smaller wheels and smaller, lighter frame made it much easier to move my body and the bike compared to my hybrid with 26" wheels. So it was easier to get moving, and it's aided my rehab.

I covered the frame, wheels, spokes, crank arms, fenders, and the rear rack in reflective tape, and the wheels and spokes have photoluminescent, aka: glow-in-the dark tape. So it glows and reflects brilliantly, and it's shiny! I was inspired by the TRON lightcycles, and I named this folder, "Crimson Crustacean." I designed a red lobster silhouette which serves as a "nametag" of sorts.

For comparison, it looked like this when I got it.

https://zizzo.bike/products/zizzo-folding-bike-via

Long exposure photo to capture the glow-in-the-dark photoluminescent wheels

Last edited by dragoonO1; 08-13-20 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Glow-in-the-dark low light long exposure photo
Likes For dragoonO1:
Old 06-18-20, 06:51 AM
ternMY
The Holy One

Bikes: Tern P10 & Tern X10 and soon S-Works/Cipollini

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Hello everyone. Newbie here

I have a pair of Tern Verge

a) Verge X10 - upgraded to 451 tri-spoke carbon wheelset
b) Verge P10 - upgraded super hollow litepro crankset, litepro carbon seatpost, litepro carbon handlebar, icetech disc, litepro carbon saddle, hollow chain, panaracer minit lites 451 tires and also removed the kickstand
Likes For ternMY:
Old 06-18-20, 06:55 AM
ternMY
The Holy One

Bikes: Tern P10 & Tern X10 and soon S-Works/Cipollini

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Likes For ternMY:
Old 06-27-20, 06:36 AM
P.L.Jensen
Pedal Pusher

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10 single speed - 1992 Ibis Cousin It Tandem - Zizzo Liberte’ Folding Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 82 Posts

(above) 1974 Raleigh Folder ... Most of the stock steel components were replaced with alloy... Sadly this bike was stolen...

(above) 2020 Zizzo Liberte ... I waited almost a year to replace the stolen Raleigh... I looked at so many different bikes... Was on Craigslist weekly, E-bay too... Nothing screamed "BUY ME"... Then one day here on Bike Forums, Zizzo came into my awareness... The starting weight of 23# was appealing... With little hesitation I ordered mine from Costco... Cost was under $400 shipped... It was deliver quickly and once assembled I went out for some fun test rides... It felt so fun to be on a 20" wheeler again...!!!... Like most of us, I was looking to make the bike better and I had a nice assortment of replacement parts that needed a home, so I dove in and made some upgrades... From tires to the seat, changes were made...

(Above) The stock rim was black, so I wet sanded it and finished it with a maroon Scotchbrite pad...

The front hub is a narrow Phil...

The new tires are Schwalbe Marathon Racer...

Wheels built by Cory Thompson...

New brakes: Box Three with Cool Stop Salmon pads...

(Above) The stock drivetrain was just ok... '

I had a lightly used Campy Chorus crankset that I paired with a new sealed bearing bottom bracket...

The chainwheel is 53 teeth...

The stock rear derailleur was replaced with an 80's era Campy Record...

The stock hub is now a sealed bearing unit...

The existing 8 Speed gearing was changed to 9 speed, 12 - 26 teeth...

The pedal are dual purpose, flat and SPD cleared...

Rim, tires, brakes and spokes are similar to the front wheel...

(above) The changes really made a difference...

(above) The carbon fiber bar, brake levers, grips and Cinelli aero bar were things I already had that needed a new home...

The shift lever is a SunRace friction shifter...

New Velo Orange cable housings...

(above) I really like the adjust-ability of the folding stem...

(Above) Last week it was 28 miles on my new 21#'er... So much fun...!!!...

Okay, the title of this thread is Name Your Bike...
I call it "My folding bike"...
Likes For P.L.Jensen:
Old 06-30-20, 01:27 PM
WildGrok

Bikes: Stowaway, Diamondback, Citizenbike, Origami, Dahon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
very nice, did not know about this deal in Costco , thanks for the detailed and inspiring description
Likes For WildGrok:
Old 07-09-20, 05:34 PM
heronaddict

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dahon Vybe i3 from UK

Hello all.
I have registered especially to share my excitement about my bike which arrives next Tuesday.
A Dahon Vybe i3
I really wanted a Tern, but finding the style and colour I wanted was impossible.
This will be my first folding bike ( I also haven't ridden for many years)
Is there anything I need to look out for / be aware of ?
Pleased to meet you all
Likes For heronaddict:
Old 07-09-20, 08:09 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by heronaddict
Hello all.
I have registered especially to share my excitement about my bike which arrives next Tuesday.
A Dahon Vybe i3
I really wanted a Tern, but finding the style and colour I wanted was impossible.
This will be my first folding bike ( I also haven't ridden for many years)
Is there anything I need to look out for / be aware of ?
Pleased to meet you all
Welcome aboard! Sweet bike you've ordered. Too bad it isn't available in the USA. I can't wait for you to post some pics,...
Old 07-19-20, 08:45 PM
vimal85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
arent folding bikes super expensive?
Old 08-02-20, 04:44 AM
Bfreesun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folding

I have a Fiido D2s for which I paid €499 from Rakuten. Very happy with it . Bought a FiidoD2 but decided I needed the gears As I live in Alpes Maritimes so shipping the D2 to my granddaughter in London
Old 08-03-20, 05:31 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by vimal85
arent folding bikes super expensive?
Some are dirt cheap, and some could be a down payment on a new home. It all depends on what you're interested in.
Old 09-02-20, 10:10 AM
FoldingSpace

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Tern Eclipse P20, Change 811 Rugged Hybrid

Although customer service from Tern.com has been mixed (Answer my emails about wheels and cases!) - I love my Tern eclipse and pray it doesn’t catastrophically fail on a fast downhill- and the flatbike.com Change 811 is more or less perfect. Flatbike.com has been some of the best customer service I’ve ever experienced.

I’m trying to find an airport sack or case for the Tern but it’s not clear if their airporter will work (no answer from website) and I’d like to buy a set of spare 26 inch kinetix wheels so I can have easy swap knobby tires for different types of ride. Any advice would be fab.

EDIT: Found a cheap bag online at Amazon - a bag for 26 inch wheeled (nonfolding) bikes that happened to fit perfectly - but then I had a realization about car roof bags - many of them are the right size for folding bikes and are comparable in price or significantly cheaper for some reason - while also generally being tougher and more weatherproof.

Last edited by FoldingSpace; 09-15-20 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-02-20, 10:36 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts

Just bought it for US$90 from a yacht dude who has gone electric. Its a heavy mother and hard to fold, but pretty clean.
Likes For Helldorado:
Old 01-01-21, 07:10 AM
jmcullough101

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An used entry-level local folder called Police Texas that I copped very cheaply just for the sole purpose of learning to ride a bike. I thought I might gonna drop the effort halfway (as with other pandemic-triggered activities) and the cost will be dismissible, but turns out I really do like riding. Now that (I think) I have mastered the basics, it's time to look for first serious bike.
Likes For jmcullough101:
Old 01-09-21, 05:33 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
This is my first folder. Picked it up from a co-worker for $20 . All the hinges and bearings were sloppy and it is covered in dirt. I'm doing a single speed conversion. I've owned and or converted many 700c/29ers bit never a 24 inch. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the gearing for a 24" wheel compared to a 700c. Normally I would run a 44tx15 or 14t gear ratio to be around 75 gear inches. How do I compare that to a 24 inch wheel to keep it in the same ballpark?

Edit: This is where I'm at so far. I have a SS freewheel, 130bcd crank with a 52t chainring and a chain tensioner being delivered tomorrow.

Edit 2: Nevermind. Closer inspection revealed something I didn't notice before.

Last edited by BoozyMcliverRot; 01-09-21 at 09:33 PM.
Likes For BoozyMcliverRot:
Old 01-10-21, 08:59 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
$20 for a life lesson in what to look for when you purchase a used bike.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 01-10-21, 08:41 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Picked up an 'Exclusiv', Generic German folder of the late 70's. We pumped up the tires later and rode it around.

Some oil, some air, some elbow grease and we got a rider.

Last edited by mirfi; 01-10-21 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Forgot the first sentence
Likes For mirfi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.