Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fizik Arione has changed! What do you think?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-19, 02:45 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

I've been away from the Fizik fold for over five years but, back in the day, I rode Fizik Ariones. They seemed to support my sit bones well and everything in between was thereby kept a safe distance off the top of the saddle. I didn't need a cutout or an indentation. The contour of the old, firm Arione kept everything properly separated.

This week, I decided I might like to give the Arione another try. (As much out of boredom as anything else.) I ordered an Arione R1 and it arrived today. But, to my surprise, today's Arione R1 large has a LOT more padding than I remember any Arione having before. I'm a little concerned that the new, cushy Arione will allow the sensitive parts to come into greater chafing contact with the top of the saddle.

For anyone who has ridden one of the newer, more padded Ariones, what do you think? Do they remain comfortable on 6- to 8-hour rides and races?
Old 08-19-19, 03:23 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Uh the large is 140mm wide. All older ariones are 126mm. That is the major difference, not the padding
Old 08-19-19, 03:36 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Uh the large is 140mm wide. All older ariones are 126mm. That is the major difference, not the padding
I'm aware of the width spec. It is different, but not what I'm concerned about. It's a flat saddle.

The padding is markedly heavier on these saddles than on my old Ariones. Apparently, they changed the padding three years ago. You can push it down about 1/16". It is indeed the major difference. It's almost like a "comfort" saddle.

Perhaps you have no experience with the older Ariones.

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 08-19-19 at 03:52 PM.