Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How Do You Deal With Harassment?

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

How Do You Deal With Harassment?

Old 08-16-19, 09:18 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers View Post
I really like your second attitude, and that's what happens when one realizes that it's they who got a problem, and that one should be grateful for not having to live with such issues.
But if one gets angry, it's as if that harassment was his problem : why is that wrong ? to begin with, it won't help the other change. but the real issue is that if one gets affected, it means one seeks revenge. It's a sign that one is like that person because the stupidity has been welcomed, approved and nurtured. and that is a problem : it turns out that we are caught in the same spiral of hate. the other probably did it because someone did it to him earlier. When we get angry we fail to see that simple truth and we perpetuate the evil. Isn't it therefore more appropriate to see harassment as a weakness (as many have realized) and be rather ... different ?
YES, my 1st reaction is to wish a bad day to someone who could have caused a bad day to me (an instinctive thought)... BUT, my second reaction is to wish a good day ( a conscious thought to not dwell on the negative), a good trip, a good holiday or whatever fits the driver who went out of his/her way to not hit me, and guess what, the good way out weigh's the bad, thus I almost always have a great ride even tho some people seemed to have had it out for me...

Last edited by 350htrr; 08-16-19 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-17-19, 02:45 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 72 Posts
Some people can see doom everywhere. Some are too afraid to drive on certain highways. Some are too afraid to fly. Others are too afraid to take a boat.

Thing is, every mode of transportation can fail and has an accident ratio. Thing is, these fears are irrational since walking can also be dangerous, and more people are hit by cars walking than cycling. Those of you that only see gloom and doom on the roads might want to give that some thought.

Last edited by KraneXL; 08-18-19 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 08-18-19, 08:42 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
As I have mentioned before, the soot in diesel smoke is a known carcinogen. People who "Roll coal" are intentionally exposing people to a harmful substance that can cause cancer. It is no different than if someone with aids spits blood in your face. I've seen lildiques in big trucks do it to cyclists, pedestrians, protesters, you name it... and I find it infuriating.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...nd-cancer.html
Sorry but it is quite different than someone with AIDS spitting blood in your face.
Just wow...
Old 08-18-19, 09:55 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster View Post
Sorry but it is quite different than someone with AIDS spitting blood in your face.
Just wow...
Hey, this is A&S, even pointing out that overreaction, to include overwrought hyperbole and rhetoric about every perceived slight may be counter-productive, might be considered just another form of "harassment" by some of our more sensitive colleagues.
Old 08-18-19, 01:40 PM
holytrousers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post
YES, my 1st reaction is to wish a bad day to someone who could have caused a bad day to me (an instinctive thought)... BUT, my second reaction is to wish a good day ( a conscious thought to not dwell on the negative), a good trip, a good holiday or whatever fits the driver who went out of his/her way to not hit me, and guess what, the good way out weigh's the bad, thus I almost always have a great ride even tho some people seemed to have had it out for me...
Your thought has been put in these terms by a certain Buddha :
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at the other; it's you who gets burned in the end.
Old 08-18-19, 06:27 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by holytrousers View Post
Your thought has been put in these terms by a certain Buddha :
Now, I am certainly not Buda... as I do NOT hold onto my anger... I say, my negative thought towards those persons responsible for my negative thoughts(to myself), BUT I also say positive thoughts to those that "follow the rules" and make my ride safer... (to myself)… It just works for me..

EDIT; At the end of most rides, I feel like it was a perfect ride... whether it was or not... YAY...

Last edited by 350htrr; 08-18-19 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-19-19, 11:08 AM
livedarklions
Je suis Snap Motomag

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster View Post
Just wow...
Yeah, I'd go with more like a smoker blowing smoke right into your face. The health issues of it are fairly trivial.

What's worse with the rolling coal is it usually involves moving the truck in closer to the cyclist and then loudly gunning the engine, which can be pretty scary. That's obviously the intent, so it is text-book harassment. Turbulence pretty much dissipates the smoke immediately, but the close pass/loud noise is just nasty and dangerous.
Old 08-19-19, 12:47 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekini 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Yeah, I'd go with more like a smoker blowing smoke right into your face. The health issues of it are fairly trivial.

What's worse with the rolling coal is it usually involves moving the truck in closer to the cyclist and then loudly gunning the engine, which can be pretty scary. That's obviously the intent, so it is text-book harassment. Turbulence pretty much dissipates the smoke immediately, but the close pass/loud noise is just nasty and dangerous.
Wear a bicycle smog mask. They're effective only if you don't have facial hair and completely seal the face but the truckers won't know that.
Old 08-19-19, 07:23 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post

That, actually IS the main aggressive part of the maneuver, the smoke is just the visible part of the F' U, you do not belong on the road mentality so you needs to stay off ,... MY ROAD, an actual mesage....