Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Need help deciding between these sub 1K cyclocross bikes.

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-16, 09:46 AM
subsage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello all, first time poster here. A quick introduction and some input needed:

I've owned many bikes and like to ride, but have never purchased a brand new bike and a little overwhelmed with all the choices. Personally, I like to repurpose old bikes. My current favorite rides are: a 70's Viner road bike converted into a SS for the road, a department store aluminum mountain bike that a neighbor was throwing out converted to a SS for limestone paths and quick trips to the store, a 1974 Schwinn Suburban for riding with my 2 yo son in his front mount Yepp seat, a hand me down Diamondback Outlook from Sports Authority with road tires for pulling my kid in a trailer. I enjoy riding but all those bikes they all cost me less than $100 combined.

My wife, however, doesn't share my joy of thrifty cycling, nor do I have the time to build something for her. All my bikes are a tad too large for her, and I don't have two of the same type to enjoy riding together. So, I need a new bike for her and figured a cyclocross would be perfect. I think I'd want to get one eventually too.

My budget is $600-900. I've narrowed it down to the following:

Nashbar 105 Cyclocross. Would be $799 with the ubiquitous 20% off. 105 groupset.
Fuji Cross 3.0 $899 and I'd get hit with tax...bringing it to $960, but it's available locally. Tiagra groupset.
2015 Redline Conquest $699. Sora groupset. Closest thing available in size is 48cm, I believe she should be 52cm (5'4", 31 inseam), but I've heard you should go smaller for cyclocross anyway. Including this option as it is available in my size.
Motobecane Fantom Cross Outlaw$899. If decision is based solely on looks, this would be it; she loves the teal color. Tiagra.
Also considering any other BD Bike in that price range (Motobecane Omni Strada, sport or comp, Turino Elite)

They're all aluminum frame, carbon fork, mechanical disc, and shimano. I gather that 105>tiagra>sora. I'm comfortable with working on the bike myself. I don't know enough about the wheels and other bits and pieces to make a decision myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-12-16, 12:31 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Among those choices, the Nashbar wins with its 105 components. 105 is 11-speed, unlike the others you listed (Tiagra is 10 speed, Sora is 9 speed, Claris is 8 speed).

Also, the Nashbar has Stan's Iron Cross wheels, which are decent and tubeless-ready.

It looks like you need to step up to the $999 range at BD (Omni Strada Expert or Comp) to get 11-speed and tubeless-ready wheels.

With any of the mail-order bikes, you will have to assemble and tune it yourself, or call around to your local shops to see if they'll do it for a fee.
Old 05-12-16, 01:38 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Just be aware the Stan's Iron Cross wheels have a 45psi limit and that does limit you on pavement a bit. I bought a used cross bike with them and it came with 35mm touring tires on it. Not the fastest rolling bike in the world setup like that but it was smooth. I ended up buying another set of wheels so I could run 28mm tires at a higher pressure and keeping the Stan's wheels just for gravel/dirt riding.
Old 05-12-16, 01:47 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride the Nashbar 105 road version. LOVE IT. Slightly different frame but basically the same components. My vote goes that way. IMO Nashbar makes the best equipped bikes for the money in that price range. AND they are competently assembled and adjusted right out of the box, and their customer service is outstanding.
Old 05-12-16, 04:04 PM
subsage

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Canker
Just be aware the Stan's Iron Cross wheels have a 45psi limit and that does limit you on pavement a bit. I bought a used cross bike with them and it came with 35mm touring tires on it. Not the fastest rolling bike in the world setup like that but it was smooth. I ended up buying another set of wheels so I could run 28mm tires at a higher pressure and keeping the Stan's wheels just for gravel/dirt riding.
This is my primary concern for this particular bike now. Realistically, most of the riding during the week would be done on pavement and crushed limestone and light trails on the weekends. So. how detrimental is 45 psi on these tires for pavement?
Old 05-12-16, 04:38 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is the Motobecane Onmi Strade TRAIL with riser bar and really good hydraulic disc brakes for $699. I have one and it is excellent. I run an upside down north road bar on it.

I would rather use rim brakes than cable discs. They are nicer to use in all but hard, hard braking. At 5'4", rim brakes ought to be adequate for her. A rim brake bike will be cheaper.

Also comes in orange, the color that I got.

Save Up to 60% Off Disc Brake Road Bikes - Motobecane Omni Strada Trail

Old 05-12-16, 05:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Red Line has been making that style bike for longer .

Now the market is crowded, all sorts of brands wanting a share.
Old 05-12-16, 10:03 PM
subsage

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Went with the Nashbar. It was 25% off today so I went for it. Just got one for her. 52cm. If it's a tad too large for her, I'll take it and get her something else. If it fits and turns out to be a great bike, I'll get one myself the next time a sale comes around.
Old 05-12-16, 10:31 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by subsage
Went with the Nashbar. It was 25% off today so I went for it. Just got one for her. 52cm. If it's a tad too large for her, I'll take it and get her something else. If it fits and turns out to be a great bike, I'll get one myself the next time a sale comes around.
You can't really beat the bike for the money. As for how much the 45psi limit will hold your wife bike? It really depends. Mine came with 35mm Michelin pilot sports which are thick commuter tires. Your wife is probably a lot lighter than me and can get away with some narrower tires than me and still stay below the 45psi limit and if nothing else less rolling resistance than my Michelins. I didn't think my big tires were holding me back at all till I hopped on my regular road bike with 23mm road tires after months of not touching it. Felt like a sports car by comparison, a very rough riding sports car .
Old 05-12-16, 11:07 PM
subsage

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Canker
You can't really beat the bike for the money. As for how much the 45psi limit will hold your wife bike? It really depends. Mine came with 35mm Michelin pilot sports which are thick commuter tires. Your wife is probably a lot lighter than me and can get away with some narrower tires than me and still stay below the 45psi limit and if nothing else less rolling resistance than my Michelins. I didn't think my big tires were holding me back at all till I hopped on my regular road bike with 23mm road tires after months of not touching it. Felt like a sports car by comparison, a very rough riding sports car .
Considering we ride for fitness, fun, and short commutes instead of competitive racing, I think she'll be content. Considering she liked the softness of a steel frame we tried last year, I think she'll like the softer ride of these tires.

Thanks for the input everyone!