Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon EEZZ D3 vs Brompton for world travel?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 01:14 PM
mmw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am looking for the best 16" folding bicycle for minimalist world travel.. (bicycle and a small backpack)

I am not looking to do any long tours but something that I can ride around all day long in a large city or possibly from town to town if not too far away.

As of right now I am considering the EEZZ D3 and a Brompton S6E..

Which would be more reliable?

Which would be easier to get parts for?

Which would be easier to fix while on the road?

( I have zero bicycle maintenance experience )

Likes For mmw:
Old 01-23-17, 01:43 PM
bromptoneer

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, 100% Brompton! I had the Dahon for about a month. Sold it and got the Brompton! The Dahon is better in 1 thing, that is folding and unfolding a bit faster in tighter places. Other than that the bromton is better in every other way. The dahon started creaking after one week. I am not heavy. 65kg. You cannot put bags on the Dahon.
The Brompton is very smart and a long lasting model which is basically the same design since 25 years. Every part you can come by easily around the world. I have a review of the nyce vespertine edition on youtube.
Old 01-23-17, 01:44 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
How tall are you? What's your budget? What's your riding experience?
Old 01-23-17, 01:54 PM
mmw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't really have a budget, I could get a new Brompton for $1,400 or the EEZZ for $1,100 but those are my concerns as I will be going to 10+ countries with the bicycle.. not just touring around NYC.

I am about 6'1 with zero folding bicycle and very minimal overall experience.
Originally Posted by jur
How tall are you? What's your budget? What's your riding experience?
Old 01-23-17, 01:54 PM
bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also you cannot buy the Dahon if you are longer that about 175cm. 170cm is ideal for that bike.
Old 01-23-17, 01:55 PM
mmw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is it a 2 part video? I think I found it.
Originally Posted by bromptoneer
Hi, 100% Brompton! I had the Dahon for about a month. Sold it and got the Brompton! The Dahon is better in 1 thing, that is folding and unfolding a bit faster in tighter places. Other than that the bromton is better in every other way. The dahon started creaking after one week. I am not heavy. 65kg. You cannot put bags on the Dahon.
The Brompton is very smart and a long lasting model which is basically the same design since 25 years. Every part you can come by easily around the world. I have a review of the nyce vespertine edition on youtube.
Old 01-23-17, 01:57 PM
bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mmw
I don't really have a budget, I could get a new Brompton for $1,400 or the EEZZ for $1,100 but those are my concerns as I will be going to 10+ countries with the bicycle.. not just touring around NYC.

I am about 6'1 with zero folding bicycle and very minimal overall experience.
The Brompton is made of steel. Build like a rock. It doesn't give in a bit. And very light depending on your configuration. But also more diverse. If you want to take bags with you, which you will if you travel so many country's definitely get the brompton.
Old 01-23-17, 01:57 PM
bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mmw
Is it a 2 part video? I think I found it.
Yes it is. Posted them today.
Old 01-23-17, 01:59 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Brompton 100%.You're too tall for the Dahon. Likewise longevity and resale value of the Brompton is much better.

At 6'1 you would need to get the taller option Brompton; telescopic seat post (very handy for packing also) and perhaps the H handlebar version.
Old 01-23-17, 02:08 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
Yes it is. Posted them today.
#1: the videos seem to be having issues.

#2: a Dahon may work for some, a Brompton for others. Height wise, a Brompton would be the best for the OP.

I have a feeling there will be some nice suggestions made,...

PS: This Dahon eezz d3 is geared quite low, so it's going to be quite slow as well. I'd pass on it, especially at that price point. A few $$$ more gets you a solid Brompton.
Old 01-23-17, 02:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bike Friday Tikit, they are made in several sizes and you can pick the drive-train that suits your preferences

Intrepid world traveler Heinz Stuke went thru a number of bikes , the last one ,
before he retired after 50 years of touring, was finally company sponsor supplied rather than bought.

It was a Brompton, sponsorship.

the penultimate bike was a Bike Friday Pocket Llama.

Old 01-23-17, 02:10 PM
bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of issues?
Old 01-23-17, 02:15 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
6.1. world tour ...
is it in planes/trains/Automobiles with the occasional bicycle riding ?

or riding all the way ?

You need the biggest bike you can get. 20 inch wheels, minimum, better 24 inch ... the bike with the most parts which are not specific to folders ( you cant change the folding handlepost obviously but EVERYTHING else, from brake levers to tubes and tires ( 20 inch "406" is BMX size) to rims, to a regular derailleur and shifter, and so forth )

I am not all that keen on Brommies obviously, but the Dahon eez 3 is NOT the bike you want. And I sell those !
Old 01-23-17, 02:19 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
Brompton parts are somewhat expensive, and harder to get than standard 20" wheeled bikes.
Old 01-23-17, 03:08 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I own a 20" Dahon Speed P8 and Brompton M6R. The Brompton has been the only thing to rekindle my interests in bicycle touring and I'm a minimalist, ultralight single-bag camper. I think they both very ride well, with about equal speed, efficiency, and gearing but the Brompton simply smokes the Dahon when not riding - ie, fold, carry, roll, luggage, incl combinations thereof (eg, when folded, it rolls while carrying my luggage ).

My Brompton doesn't need a lock... while my Dahon does .
Old 01-23-17, 03:15 PM
mmw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you give me more first hand riding experience comparing the Dahon vs the Brompton?
The Brompton is made of steel. Build like a rock. It doesn't give in a bit. And very light depending on your configuration. But also more diverse. If you want to take bags with you, which you will if you travel so many country's definitely get the brompton.
Old 01-23-17, 03:16 PM
mmw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Will I fit on the Brompton with the S bar? I really don't like the look of the M or H.

Is the bar and seat post the only reasons why you say the Brompton will fit me best?
Originally Posted by jur
Brompton 100%.You're too tall for the Dahon. Likewise longevity and resale value of the Brompton is much better.

At 6'1 you would need to get the taller option Brompton; telescopic seat post (very handy for packing also) and perhaps the H handlebar version.
Old 01-23-17, 03:17 PM
mmw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I can't upgrade to higher gears I don't think this would be the bicycle for me, especially considering the price.
Originally Posted by tds101
#1: the videos seem to be having issues.

#2: a Dahon may work for some, a Brompton for others. Height wise, a Brompton would be the best for the OP.

I have a feeling there will be some nice suggestions made,...

PS: This Dahon eezz d3 is geared quite low, so it's going to be quite slow as well. I'd pass on it, especially at that price point. A few $$$ more gets you a solid Brompton.
Old 01-23-17, 03:19 PM
mmw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I personally don't like the look of the Bike Friday's, thanks though.
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Bike Friday Tikit, they are made in several sizes and you can pick the drive-train that suits your preferences

Intrepid world traveler Heinz Stuke went thru a number of bikes , the last one ,
before he retired after 50 years of touring, was finally company sponsor supplied rather than bought.

It was a Brompton, sponsorship.

the penultimate bike was a Bike Friday Pocket Llama.

Old 01-23-17, 03:21 PM
mmw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
See this is the biggest dilemma.. I want something that folds down as small as possible, has higher gears, and is quality made. I am talking planes, buses, public transportation, possibly hitch biking, and staying in a lot of shared housing, hostels etc. Which is another huge concern as far as bike theft etc. I just don't think a 20" folder will work with this application.
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
6.1. world tour ...
is it in planes/trains/Automobiles with the occasional bicycle riding ?

or riding all the way ?

You need the biggest bike you can get. 20 inch wheels, minimum, better 24 inch ... the bike with the most parts which are not specific to folders ( you cant change the folding handlepost obviously but EVERYTHING else, from brake levers to tubes and tires ( 20 inch "406" is BMX size) to rims, to a regular derailleur and shifter, and so forth )

I am not all that keen on Brommies obviously, but the Dahon eez 3 is NOT the bike you want. And I sell those !
Old 01-23-17, 03:22 PM
mmw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How do you feel about the build quality between the two?

What do you mean by the Dahon needs a lock and the Brompton doesn't?
Originally Posted by reppans
I own a 20" Dahon Speed P8 and Brompton M6R. The Brompton has been the only thing to rekindle my interests in bicycle touring and I'm a minimalist, ultralight single-bag camper. I think they both very ride well, with about equal speed, efficiency, and gearing but the Brompton simply smokes the Dahon when not riding - ie, fold, carry, roll, luggage, incl combinations thereof (eg, when folded, it rolls while carrying my luggage ).

My Brompton doesn't need a lock... while my Dahon does .
Old 01-23-17, 03:43 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You will need to actually ride a Brommy and a Dahon. or by that matter any bike.
You are planning to ride a lot ! Much more than just a 6 mile commute

Bikes are designed for a special group of people and their needs. The smallest fold, the lightest bike, the fastest bike, the most glamourous, the best resale value
all means NOTHING if you don't enjoy the ride !

Not saying that there are no Brommies who travel the world .. yes they are indeed. You can get the blogs for a handful any day just googling it.

This whole adventure is not cheap, hence make the effort and ride some bikes ... before you buy
Old 01-23-17, 04:01 PM
mmw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree but down here in Miami there aren't any Dahon or Brompton dealers around so it makes it a lot tougher.
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
You will need to actually ride a Brommy and a Dahon. or by that matter any bike.
You are planning to ride a lot ! Much more than just a 6 mile commute

Bikes are designed for a special group of people and their needs. The smallest fold, the lightest bike, the fastest bike, the most glamourous, the best resale value
all means NOTHING if you don't enjoy the ride !

Not saying that there are no Brommies who travel the world .. yes they are indeed. You can get the blogs for a handful any day just googling it.

This whole adventure is not cheap, hence make the effort and ride some bikes ... before you buy
Old 01-23-17, 04:10 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by mmw
As of right now I am considering the EEZZ D3 and a Brompton S6E.
The EEZZ D3 is meant for the Asian market. You're too tall for that bike. Get a Brompton.
Old 01-23-17, 04:14 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Tyrell IVE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.