Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Looking to start living car-lite in Phoenix

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Looking to start living car-lite in Phoenix

Old 02-18-19, 11:01 PM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I grew up in Phoenix and unless you are living near what you want to do it's got to be challenging to have no car. Where I lived, behind Thunderbird park, it's pretty built out, but it's still 3 miles to any store. When I was a kid, before they built 101 and then some stuff further north, it was five or six miles to anything.

You must not discount the heat on a summer afternoon. It can be miserable.
where I'm living currently I have everything I need within a mile or less (43rd ave and union hills roughly) and work is only 4 miles out. I can see this being feasible.

Never take the heat lightly. I don't care how acclimated you are, this place can and will put you in the hospital for it. I never get in the saddle without at least 30oz of water coming with me.
Old 02-18-19, 11:14 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by suncruiser
where I'm living currently I have everything I need within a mile or less (43rd ave and union hills roughly) and work is only 4 miles out. I can see this being feasible.
Ha, I went to high school at Deer Valley. Bussed from ~53rd and Pinnacle Peak because there was no high school out there yet. I rode to school once through the pass on 47th
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-18-19, 11:45 PM
suncruiser

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Ha, I went to high school at Deer Valley. Bussed from ~53rd and Pinnacle Peak because there was no high school out there yet. I rode to school once through the pass on 47th
my school commute was fun. Was riding ~lake pleasant rd and Williams to cactus high every day from 9th grade to halfway through 12th when I got my first car
Old 02-19-19, 10:34 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
once the summer heat hits I see less e-bikes than I do normally. I think past about 105F the batteries and electronics start having issues with overheating since there's no active cooling system involved.
Interesting...it never gets close to that hot here so I didn't consider that possibility. Time to hook up some mist hoses to the handle bars, lol.
Old 02-19-19, 10:50 AM
suncruiser

Originally Posted by linberl
Interesting...it never gets close to that hot here so I didn't consider that possibility. Time to hook up some mist hoses to the handle bars, lol.
lol. Not sure that would do much, considering the incessant sun and a matte black battery case. It reaches in excess of 165f in a parked car during the day, I can't imagine the batteries would fare much better with little to no ventilation and the fact that the case just kinda absorbs heat
Old 03-12-19, 12:06 PM
NeedARealBike

Bikes: Cinelli Bootleg Hobo - Railway 2015

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I actually don't mind riding and commuting in the heat. Had to for a couple months in 17, right when the temps were between 117-122. was kinda brutal but I still made it! I'm a native to Phoenix, the heat is just kinda another aspect of here. Not reason to stable the bikes
Nice try. Obvious fake by the way you talk trying to be billy badass on the internet. Even if you were a native, you're not, that doesn't negate biology. Zip it up and put it away little man, it's not working here. See you again in another 3 months, armchair cyclist.
Old 03-12-19, 12:22 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Well, I am sure he feels worlds better, having gotten that out of his system.

I have done some hiking and biking in Florida, New Mexico, and Arizona, and it is surprising how much different dry heat feels. I know it is a cliche, but .... 99 degrees at 99 percent humidity in Florida felt close to death, while 115 in Arizona just felt hot. Crossing the Mojave felt hot, but not as hot as ten degrees cooler in Florida. IMO,. of course.
Old 03-12-19, 12:59 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Well, I am sure he feels worlds better, having gotten that out of his system.

I have done some hiking and biking in Florida, New Mexico, and Arizona, and it is surprising how much different dry heat feels. I know it is a cliche, but .... 99 degrees at 99 percent humidity in Florida felt close to death, while 115 in Arizona just felt hot. Crossing the Mojave felt hot, but not as hot as ten degrees cooler in Florida. IMO,. of course.
My experiences with dry and humid heat are similar: 95-100 with sun and 10% humidity was just lovely for long rides (so long as I had sufficient water), whereas 90, overcast, and 80% humidity brought me close to throwing up in as little as 10 miles.

Commuting in California's Santa Ana systems and Denver heat waves was no problem. It was Alabama summers that got me back in a car (one with functioning AC).
Old 03-12-19, 01:00 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Ten or so years ago around Labor Day I was visiting my parents on a motorcycle trip and they were on a record string of >110 degree days. That was bad - the air was hot enough that sweating was insufficient. Like riding in a furnace, the opposite of wind chill. I had to stop every half hour or so and take a break in a gas station's AC. I don't think I've ever felt that way on a bicycle in any heat.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-20-19, 11:37 PM
suncruiser

Originally Posted by NeedARealBike
Nice try. Obvious fake by the way you talk trying to be billy badass on the internet. Even if you were a native, you're not, that doesn't negate biology. Zip it up and put it away little man, it's not working here. See you again in another 3 months, armchair cyclist.
Billy Badass? There's a term I haven't heard in a while.
sorry I haven't looked at this thread in a bit, got preoccupied with life. Just because I managed the heat doesn't mean I enjoyed it dude. **** sucks when you've gotta get to work and don't have money for fuel. Kinda in that boat right now, but the temp is still pretty nice so no biggie. Just because you can't handle the heat doesn't mean someone born and raised in it can't.