Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Discover with custom tool trunk

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Schwinn Discover with custom tool trunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19, 03:24 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Lightbulb Schwinn Discover with custom tool trunk

I bought a cheap plastic tool box at Walmart and had to drill a few custom holes in it. Black zip ties, small, mount the box securely to the stock rear carrier. The Schwinn rubber taillight is mounted on the box rear as shown using drilled holes in the rear top compartment with zip ties also. The mini bungee holds the light from flopping around. a pair of matching Fifty Strong plastic water bottles were also purchased at Walmart. One holds my water and the other my USB music speaker. Thankfully, Pacific Cycle provided mounting points for two separate bottle cages on-the all-aluminum frame. You have to be careful with the aluminum frame not to over-tighten screws. Being a former automobile mechanic by trade and having death-grip hands, I used a 3/8"-drive socket and stripped one of the screws holding the rear rack to the frame. I had to use thread tape to make a snugger fit of the threads. I may have to eventually replace the chrome-finish hex-head screw with longer one and put a nut and lock washer on the other end. Note the two aftermarket 36-spoke wheels ordered from Pacific Cycle to replace the stock 24-spoke aluminum wheels that were busting spokes a lot on the rough streets of Lawton, Oklahoma. The aftermarket aluminum wheels are two-tone black and silver. Cool! Goes with stock black paint scheme nicely. No more busted spokes after over a month on spartan Oklahoma covered-wagon roads. A young Lawton policeman stopped me the other day for wearing my music headset white on the street. In this conservative boring rough little Okie town, joggers and pedestrians aren't even supposed to be sporting headphones while on the street wear rubber meets asphalt (or potholes). In my custom trunk are all the tools and supplies I need for fixing any flat tire and doing minor fixes on the streets. This is a 13" long tool box and my Bell pump fits perfectly inside along with a 15 mm combination wrench, a Bell tool kit with carry pouch and tire lever, a spare tube pre-filled with Slime, a CO2 inflator, a couple bungee cords, cable crimp caps, extra valve caps, valve stem remover, extra rim liner, pliers, latex gloves, a coupe plastic store bags to protect seat and grips when bike is turned over on the dirty ground and a rag. At least Lawton, Oklahoma doesn't have the pesky goat heads that Boise, Idaho had by the Greenbelt. There is, however, a dead coon (road kill) by the train tracks I ride past every morning that is now stinking badly. I saw an armadillo on 38th street south of the RR crossing last week. I have to pedal my bike in the gutter often as there is seldom a bike lane or even a sidewalk in this town.

Last edited by JonBailey; 08-09-19 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-09-19, 06:41 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Pictures would be nice.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 08-09-19, 06:47 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
That post is an adventure. It gives my naturally editorial nature the jitters.
Old 08-09-19, 08:16 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
I think it's a link.

-Matt
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-09-19, 08:30 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Not just a link, but a cross posting link.
Old 08-09-19, 08:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by JonBailey
I bought a cheap plastic tool box at Walmart and had to drill a few custom holes in it. Black zip ties, small, mount the box securely to the stock rear carrier. The Schwinn rubber taillight is mounted on the box rear as shown using drilled holes in the rear top compartment with zip ties also. The mini bungee holds the light from flopping around. a pair of matching Fifty Strong plastic water bottles were also purchased at Walmart. One holds my water and the other my USB music speaker. Thankfully, Pacific Cycle provided mounting points for two separate bottle cages on-the all-aluminum frame. You have to be careful with the aluminum frame not to over-tighten screws. Being a former automobile mechanic by trade and having death-grip hands, I used a 3/8"-drive socket and stripped one of the screws holding the rear rack to the frame. I had to use thread tape to make a snugger fit of the threads. I may have to eventually replace the chrome-finish hex-head screw with longer one and put a nut and lock washer on the other end. Note the two aftermarket 36-spoke wheels ordered from Pacific Cycle to replace the stock 24-spoke aluminum wheels that were busting spokes a lot on the rough streets of Lawton, Oklahoma. The aftermarket aluminum wheels are two-tone black and silver. Cool! Goes with stock black paint scheme nicely. No more busted spokes after over a month on spartan Oklahoma covered-wagon roads. A young Lawton policeman stopped me the other day for wearing my music headset white on the street. In this conservative boring rough little Okie town, joggers and pedestrians aren't even supposed to be sporting headphones while on the street wear rubber meets asphalt (or potholes). In my custom trunk are all the tools and supplies I need for fixing any flat tire and doing minor fixes on the streets. This is a 13" long tool box and my Bell pump fits perfectly inside along with a 15 mm combination wrench, a Bell tool kit with carry pouch and tire lever, a spare tube pre-filled with Slime, a CO2 inflator, a couple bungee cords, cable crimp caps, extra valve caps, valve stem remover, extra rim liner, pliers, latex gloves, a coupe plastic store bags to protect seat and grips when bike is turned over on the dirty ground and a rag. At least Lawton, Oklahoma doesn't have the pesky goat heads that Boise, Idaho had by the Greenbelt. There is, however, a dead coon (road kill) by the train tracks I ride past every morning that is now stinking badly. I saw an armadillo on 38th street south of the RR crossing last week. I have to pedal my bike in the gutter often as there is seldom a bike lane or even a sidewalk in this town. upload
What's the question?

Otherwise I think this is a ramble and I have no idea what your point is.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-09-19, 08:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
That post is an adventure. It gives my naturally editorial nature the jitters.
I think it's an outtake from On the Road: The Next Generation.

BF as cutting-room floor.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-09-19, 08:45 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Merged threads.
Old 08-09-19, 09:28 AM
MattTheHat 

I see words like tool box, pump, CO2 inflator and bungies. Tools and what not too. Sounds heavy and rattly, but depending on what you're doing might be great. We need pics.

-Matt
Old 08-09-19, 09:50 AM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
What's the question?

Otherwise I think this is a ramble and I have no idea what your point is.
There is no question. It's show and tell. I want to know what people think about the custom trunk I made to carry my tools.
I am inspiring others with my idea here. Goodness.

Please learn to read.

Last edited by JonBailey; 08-09-19 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-09-19, 09:51 AM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I see words like tool box, pump, CO2 inflator and bungies. Tools and what not too. Sounds heavy and rattly, but depending on what you're doing might be great. We need pics.

-Matt
You cannot see the embedded picture above?

Last edited by JonBailey; 08-09-19 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-09-19, 09:55 AM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Pictures would be nice.
Please go to the top to see the OP of this thread.
Old 08-09-19, 10:02 AM
MattTheHat 

You cannot see the embedded picture above?

Yes, now that you've fixed the link I can see the pic.

That looks pretty clean, I like it. If the stuff inside bounces around you can add a small towel or something similar for packing.

-Matt
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-09-19, 10:04 AM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It probably weighs no more than seven pounds. The extra weight pales next the inconvenience of being stranded with a flat tire five miles away from home. It's a cheap plastic toolbox strapped onto the rear carrier with plastic zip ties and nothing more. It's much cheaper than these rack-top bags which often don't fit well. Using plastic supermarket bags, latex gloves, plastic Baggies, rags, etc. as filler materials inside the box dampens the road noise of rattling tools quite well. For example, my spare C02 cartridges are wrapped in the latex gloves to keep them quiet. Note my bluetooth USB-rechargeable music speaker inside one of the two water cages. I'm not allowed to wear headphones while on the streets of my town. Note how I have my taillight strapped to the tool box. The little bungee holds it firmly. Holes were drilled in the plastic tool box for securing with zip ties.

Last edited by JonBailey; 08-09-19 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-09-19, 10:08 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
It may not be the most conventional approach, but you obviously put a lot of thought into it, and the execution is nice. I like posts like this. It sparks ideas and inspires projects. Thanks for sharing!

-------------------------

"I saw an armadillo riding a bike by 38th Street
Pedallin' through the street by McMahon Park
He was lookin' for a place called Mutti's German Restaurant
Gonna get a big dish of Rinderroulade

Aaoooo!
Armadillos of Lawton
Aaooo!"
Old 08-09-19, 10:16 AM
MattTheHat 

Throw some lunch in there and you're ready to ride all day!

As far as your comment about headphones, I'm not sure how the police think they can tell you not to wear headphones. That sounds like nothing more than harassment to me. I'm not a fan of people playing music on their phones and Bluetooth speakers. Maybe it's just me.

-Matt
Old 08-09-19, 10:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

There is no question. It's show and tell. I want to know what people think about the custom trunk I made to carry my tools.

Please learn to read.
Well, when I first responded this was in general cycling, but only about half of your post has anything to do with the bike, the rest is about Lawton, dead animals, bumps, headphones, police and a bunch of other stuff. I had no idea we were supposed to be focusing on some bike adaptations. Also, the photo wasn't attached to the OP when I responded.

Looks swell. Mazel tov.

Please learn to write. Paragraph breaks and topic sentences might be a good place to start.

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-09-19 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-09-19, 10:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Throw some lunch in there and you're ready to ride all day!

As far as your comment about headphones, I'm not sure how the police think they can tell you not to wear headphones. That sounds like nothing more than harassment to me. I'm not a fan of people playing music on their phones and Bluetooth speakers. Maybe it's just me.

-Matt
This is the reason the cops think they can do that in Lawton, OK, because they can:

Lawton Code of Ordinances:

23-19-1912 - Use of earphones, headphones prohibited on streets.A. As used in this section, "earphones" or "headphones" mean any device capable of transmitting sound from a radio, tape player or any device capable of transmitting sound to the ear of the listener.

B. The use of earphones and headphones by joggers, bicyclists, pedestrians and operators of motorized or self-propelled vehicles is prohibited while persons are using streets in the city.
Ordinances can often surprise you.
Old 08-09-19, 10:44 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
This is the reason the cops think they can do that in Lawton, OK, because they can:

Lawton Code of Ordinances:

23-19-1912 - Use of earphones, headphones prohibited on streets.A. As used in this section, "earphones" or "headphones" mean any device capable of transmitting sound from a radio, tape player or any device capable of transmitting sound to the ear of the listener.

B. The use of earphones and headphones by joggers, bicyclists, pedestrians and operators of motorized or self-propelled vehicles is prohibited while persons are using streets in the city.
Ordinances can often surprise you.
I'd actually Googled it and hadn't found an ordinance. Thanks.

As for the ordinance itself. What an...interesting...world in which we live.

-Matt
Old 08-09-19, 10:45 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Most folks are able to carry what they need for flats and bike repair in a small saddle pack. Nevertheless, I can see the box being useful for lunch and adult beverage, maybe a jacket.
Old 08-09-19, 10:56 AM
Milton Keynes

I carry what I need in a small underseat bag, but some times it would be nice to have a bit more storage room. With that tool box, you should have enough room for tools, spare tubes, your wallet, and a sandwich.

Personally, though, if I were to do that, instead of zip tying and bungee'ing the taillight as it is, I'd have somehow just bolted it to the side of the toolbox which would make it easier to open the lid.
Old 08-09-19, 11:04 AM
Milton Keynes

I will say that it's not something I'm ever likely to do myself, but your installation looks good. Better than duct-taping a cardboard box to your rack.

I actually did something similar to our popup camper. On the hitch, next to the battery box, I installed a small plastic toolbox I bought cheap in order to hold bungees, gorilla tape, and a few other odds & ends. But rather than zip tie it, I drilled holes in the bottom of the toolbox and bolted it to the hitch.
Old 08-09-19, 12:06 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
It may not be the most conventional approach, but you obviously put a lot of thought into it, and the execution is nice. I like posts like this. It sparks ideas and inspires projects. Thanks for sharing!

-------------------------

"I saw an armadillo riding a bike by 38th Street
Pedallin' through the street by McMahon Park
He was lookin' for a place called Mutti's German Restaurant
Gonna get a big dish of Rinderroulade

Aaoooo!
Armadillos of Lawton
Aaooo!"
Please provide more conventional approach to carrying spare tubes, tools, etc. on a bike that is as compact and elegant as possible. I'm thinking of designing a cleaner and more elegant mount for my taillight on the back of the box. My tool-toting solution is pretty cheap. I like a hard case for my tools anyway.
Old 08-09-19, 12:12 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I've typed and deleted about 7 responses. This thread is an adventure.
Old 08-09-19, 12:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Please provide more conventional approach to carrying spare tubes, tools, etc. on a bike that is as compact and elegant as possible.
This what I use. I think it is obviously more compact and elegant. I have tube, CO2, patches, multi tool, spare quick links, cleat bolts, a short bit of derailleur cable, zip ties, $, a handy wipe, emergency electrolyte and GU. The bags are available in larger sizes if you really need to carry extra valve caps, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.