Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Over the Handlebars (pics)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 02:54 PM
godogs3

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro '10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I was riding home from class today, when suddenly I went flying over the handlebars without any warning. After picking myself up off the ground, I went back to my bike to discover a stick had gotten stuck in between the spokes and the fender rails. How on earth this happened I have no idea. My bike went from about 20 to 0 instantly. In the end, I am fine, but my front fender needs replacing. Also my left hood was a little scraped. Watch out for sticks!

Old 07-02-08, 03:04 PM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found a young lady that had gone over the handlebars still laying in the path. I helped her up and asked what happened. She said she was trying to dodge a squirrel and then suddenly over the bars she went. I looked at her bike and what was left of the squirrel was wadded up in the spokes and fork. It destroyed the wheel ripping several of the nipples right through the rim. There were not very many spokes in that wheel to begin with.
Old 07-02-08, 03:11 PM
ricohman

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Is the fork bent??
Old 07-02-08, 03:15 PM
godogs3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the fork is fine, but I never actually checked. I probably should before I ride it again. Thanks
Old 07-02-08, 03:18 PM
capolover
No Sidewalks.

Bikes: Cannondale Capo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fail.
it could be worse though...
Old 07-02-08, 03:21 PM
squeakywheel
domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Were you passing team Cinzano when it happened? (Breaking Away)
Old 07-02-08, 03:34 PM
climbhoser

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had toe overlap with fenders on my Xcheck and a coupla times tapped it mid-turn, catching the fender on tire, which then dragged it through the fork and sent me a flyin'.

You might be able to re-shape the plastic fender. I did. Fun, isn't it?
Old 07-02-08, 03:57 PM
sean000

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Kogswell P58, 1988 Pinarello, Rivendell Wilbury (my wife's bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch! Glad you and the bike are okay. You might try replacing the front fender with an SKS fender. They have break-away attachments to the dropout/fender mount. If something gets caught between the fender and the tire, the fender just pops loose. I don't know if that would have helped or not in this case, since the stick ended up between the spokes and the fender rails... the force might not have been in the right direction to pull the fender loose.

Sean
Old 07-02-08, 04:04 PM
Bike4More
Fixed Commuter

Bikes: Roads Moutains Fixed Vintage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 points
Old 07-02-08, 04:07 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You might try replacing the front fender with an SKS fender.

Those are clip ons. I don't think any of the clip ons are breakaway mount.

To the OP: I'd check all your spokes to see if anything snapped, bent, loosened, etc. Look over the rim for cracks at the spoke holes/eyelets. Best to just double check it all.
Old 07-02-08, 04:43 PM
sean000

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Kogswell P58, 1988 Pinarello, Rivendell Wilbury (my wife's bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
You might try replacing the front fender with an SKS fender.

Those are clip ons. I don't think any of the clip ons are breakaway mount.

To the OP: I'd check all your spokes to see if anything snapped, bent, loosened, etc. Look over the rim for cracks at the spoke holes/eyelets. Best to just double check it all.
The OP's current fender is a clip/clamp-on, but the forks have braze-on eyelets for mounting a regular fender like the SKS with the breakaway mount.

- Sean

Last edited by sean000; 07-02-08 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-02-08, 06:58 PM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by squeakywheel
Were you passing team Cinzano when it happened? (Breaking Away)
OK, Folks, 100 points for the forum members who knows what squeakywheel is referring to here.

P.S. squeeky - I got it. Good one.
Old 07-02-08, 07:01 PM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=godogs3;6988603]So I was riding home from class today, when suddenly I went flying over the handlebars without any warning. After picking myself up off the ground, I went back to my bike to discover a stick had gotten stuck in between the spokes and the fender rails. How on earth this happened I have no idea. My bike went from about 20 to 0 instantly. In the end, I am fine, but my front fender needs replacing. Also my left hood was a little scraped. Watch out for sticks!

godogs3, what a tumble that must have been! Glad you are OK. Did you helmet provide any protection or take any scrapes?

Your experience reminds all of us not to ride over sticks and debri because they are so likely to jump up into our wheels.

By the way, that is a BEAUTIFUL bicycle you have there, godogs3. Really lovely. Get 'er fixed up and back on the road. You are definately beautifying your community with that machine.
Old 07-02-08, 07:33 PM
kellyjdrummer

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by mike
OK, Folks, 100 points for the forum members who knows what squeakywheel is referring to here.

The movie with Dennis Quaid?

Old 07-02-08, 07:40 PM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by n4zou
I found a young lady that had gone over the handlebars still laying in the path. I helped her up and asked what happened. She said she was trying to dodge a squirrel and then suddenly over the bars she went. I looked at her bike and what was left of the squirrel was wadded up in the spokes and fork. It destroyed the wheel ripping several of the nipples right through the rim. There were not very many spokes in that wheel to begin with.
How much to sharpen my bladed spokes?
Old 07-02-08, 07:45 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

You've got to watch those Italians with frame pumps - a tricky lot.
Old 07-02-08, 08:04 PM
godogs3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
godogs3, what a tumble that must have been! Glad you are OK. Did you helmet provide any protection or take any scrapes?

Your experience reminds all of us not to ride over sticks and debri because they are so likely to jump up into our wheels.

By the way, that is a BEAUTIFUL bicycle you have there, godogs3. Really lovely. Get 'er fixed up and back on the road. You are definately beautifying your community with that machine.
Actually, I didn't even hit my helmet. Luckily the only pain i received was from a bruised leg that I think might have hit the curb. The bike has been good to me, especially since I got it for FREE.99 from a neighbor. The spokes on the front wheel must be really strong because they all seem to be in good shape.
Old 07-02-08, 08:48 PM
Hydrated
Reeks of aged cotton duck

Bikes: 2008 Kogswell PR mkII, 1976 Raleigh Professional, 1996 Serotta Atlanta, 1984 Trek 520, 1979 Raleigh Comp GS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm sorry... but living in Athens... shouldn't those tires be a different color?

Like maybe RED and BLACK?

I was a student at UGA at the same time as Hershel Walker... Go Dawgs!
Old 07-02-08, 10:03 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
I'm glad to hear you came out ok godogs3. By your photos it appears that you are running platform pedals without cages. Do you feel that not being tied to the pedals helped to spare you from additional injury? Not being attached to the pedals should make it much easier to separate yourself from the bike and roll it would seem.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 07-02-08 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-03-08, 06:23 AM
godogs3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrated
I'm sorry... but living in Athens... shouldn't those tires be a different color?

Like maybe RED and BLACK?

I was a student at UGA at the same time as Hershel Walker... Go Dawgs!
Haha. I was feeling more of a patriotic theme when I outfitted the bike. I might have to go RED and BLACK once it's time for some new tires!
Old 07-03-08, 06:26 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I adjust my fenders so that the rear clearance is a bit tighter than the front. That way, any debris small enough to get inside my fender will be harmlessly ejected from the front.
Old 07-03-08, 06:28 AM
godogs3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I'm glad to hear you came out ok godogs3. By your photos it appears that you are running platform pedals without cages. Do you feel that not being tied to the pedals helped to spare you from additional injury? Not being attached to the pedals should make it much easier to separate yourself from the bike and roll it would seem.
I think that cages definitely would have caused more injury. Cages are hard enough to get out of when you are trying let alone when you are falling. However I feel that clipless would have been fine. I have been in multiple mtn. bike crashes where I go over the bars, and my clipless pedals released me when I needed to be. However, I'm not a fan of walking around with the loud noise of cleats hitting the ground or the awkward walk that comes with it.
Old 07-03-08, 07:02 AM
imabeliever1

Bikes: Bicycles, Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 47 Posts
Movie ,Breaking Away

Reference is to when one of the Italian bike team sticks his frame pump in Daves wheel.
Old 07-03-08, 09:17 AM
walterk46
Electro-Forged

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by godogs3
I think that cages definitely would have caused more injury. Cages are hard enough to get out of when you are trying let alone when you are falling. However I feel that clipless would have been fine. I have been in multiple mtn. bike crashes where I go over the bars, and my clipless pedals released me when I needed to be. However, I'm not a fan of walking around with the loud noise of cleats hitting the ground or the awkward walk that comes with it.
I had a spill similar to the OP last year. I don't recall it (memory goes from riding happily straight to being put in an ambulance), but I had spoke damage to the front wheel and a severely bent front fork. I must have picked something up in the front wheel.

Anyway, from the bumps and scrapes on me and the bike, I must have gone all the way around, still clipped into my eggbeaters. My hands were fine (probably still holding the drop bars), my face--scraped, helmet--cracked, butt--bruised, saddle--torn, rear rack--scraped. Its pretty clear that I didn't make like Superman and belly flop onto the pavement. Whether a flying dismount would have been better for me than a clipped in somersault, I'll never know. But I still use the eggbeaters.
Old 07-03-08, 09:30 AM
squeakywheel
domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WCRk8bvNiE

A guy I work with ran over a chipmunk on the bike path a couple weeks ago. The little guy was doing the back and forth panic dance and timed it wrong. Could have been bad if he had got the spokes instead of the tire.

I don't have any road kill to my credit. Only time I went over the bars was when trying to cut across a corn field after getting lost on the way home from the bar. Didn't make it past the second row.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.