Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Changed my first Flat!.....What a horrific experience :-(

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Changed my first Flat!.....What a horrific experience :-(

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 11:29 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I commute on a 26 inch wheeled bike. Currently I'm running 26 X 1.5. Those are a hell of a lot easier to change than a 700. I don't need anything but a speed stick.
Old 07-09-08, 01:21 AM
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helped a guy yesterday fix a flat on the MUP. Got to use my CO2 cartridge for the first time, as mini pumps suck and I don't care to sink money into trying a new one (although the Topeak Road Morph has my eye).

He offered me a couple bucks, I said "Pay it forward."

While we were working on it, another guy stopped by and asked if we needed help.
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
Old 07-09-08, 02:20 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by SingingSabre
Helped a guy yesterday fix a flat on the MUP. Got to use my CO2 cartridge for the first time,
yeah, only time mine have been used in anger is helping a guy who was walking home(about 10miles!).

Anyhoooo... to the OP
You real problem, if you haven't figured it out already... is you don't have enough bikes! Always have a spare on hand!
Old 07-09-08, 07:14 AM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Bikes: Waterford 2200, Litespeed Tuscany, Salsa La Cruz, Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will people please stop saying "Pay it Forward"? That was such a hokey, horrible movie. That was never a saying before that movie was it? Just a terrible, terrible movie. Let's come up with a different phrase, one that doesn't make me think of that awful, annoying film.
Old 07-09-08, 08:24 AM
squeakywheel
domestique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Actually, it's good when you have the tire on and are pumping it up to let some of the air out at some time and then pump it all the way up. That lets the tube relax inside the tire and prevents tight spots that would be more likely to blow.
I do that too. I've had tubes pop because they were twisted or pinched under the wire bead. Now I pump up a little, bounce the tire on the ground a few times all the way around, let the air out, and then pump up fully.
Old 07-09-08, 09:22 AM
HeIncreasesMe

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
yeah, only time mine have been used in anger is helping a guy who was walking home(about 10miles!).

Anyhoooo... to the OP
You real problem, if you haven't figured it out already... is you don't have enough bikes! Always have a spare on hand!
My goodness. I feel the same exact way. Too bad my bank account doesn't. Savings is one greedy monster.

I am hoping to put together a bike soon. Something really cool and classy.
Old 07-09-08, 12:19 PM
AmberRae
Beginner

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
That story sounds just like something I did last year. I stopped to help someone who had a flat and no tools, tube, pump, etc. I gave her my tire levers, pump and spare tube and told her what to do (I didn't do it for her since I already know how to change a flat and she didn't.) Afterwards, in lieu of the beer she offered to buy me, I told her to get her own tube and levers and pay it forward when she sees someone with a flat.
in offering you a beer, i think it may be possible she was't JUST trying to THANK you
Old 07-09-08, 12:28 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AmberRae
in offering you a beer, i think it may be possible she was't JUST trying to THANK you
If I was single, I'd have taken her up on the beer. Damn wedding vows!

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 07-09-08, 12:32 PM
Febs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had my own bad tire experience this morning. Got a flat about 6 miles from home. Installed my spare tube and proceeded to snap the valve off while inflating it with my frame pump. Removed the spare tube, patched the old tube, and reinstalled it. Unfortunately, I managed to puncture it in two places while doing so, and I only had one patch left.

Sigh.

I've patched and changed many flats in my day but this was the first experience I've had since returning to cycling after a 10 year hiatus. To avoid having a similar problem in the future, I went to the LBS near my office at lunch and bought 3 spare tubes, a new patch kit, a CO2 kit, and some new tire levers. (My old tire levers were aluminum and had some sharp edges that no doubt contributed to the problem.) I'm sure I'll have better luck when I get home tonight and have another go at it.
Old 07-09-08, 01:34 PM
amit_shah25 
Drunken Master

Bikes: Jamis Ranger 1.0 (Mutilated !!), Trek Portland

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
bike flats are MUCH easier (and usually much cheaper!) than car flats!
+1
Old 07-09-08, 02:29 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had two separate flats yesterday. Fixed one by locating the leak, and pulling out the tube in that location only, and applying a patch. This is the first time I've used a simple patch that didn't involve glue, rubbing, and cellophane removal. The new system is great.

Second flat involved a thumbtack. I heard a clicking, and then saw the tack. I just replaced the tube on that one.
Old 07-09-08, 03:19 PM
DavidW56

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I fixed my first flat when I was maybe 12 or 13. Trial and error. Used screwdrivers to get the tire off the rim. Didn't know there were specialized tools for such things. That was on a 1969 or 1970 Royce Union three-speed. Those tires were difficult to move on and off the rims. My current bikes are not so difficult; but then, I've now got better tools.

I used to sprinkle a little baby powder inside the tire so the tube wouldn't stick. Does anyone else?

As for helping other people -- I've never encountered a bicyclist with a flat on the road, but when I was much younger and driving unreliable cars, nearly every time my car broke down or had a flat, someone with an even worse vehicle than mine would stop and offer help. That impressed me -- usually someone with less than I had was willing to help. I've always had AAA for emergency road assistance, so it was never an issue -- but I've always stopped to help others on the road. It's just neighborly.
Old 07-09-08, 04:03 PM
n_r_child

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Novara Strada '05, Redline Monocog 29er, Trek 930, Peugeot Iseran

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECDkeys
Nothing new to add, just joining in the chorus of practice makes perfect.

Also, helping a stranded cyclist patch a tube is a sheer joy.

Pay it forward, everyone.
While I wouldn't say it was pure joy, I did help (or try to help) two different riders this past weekend. First guy had a spare tube but no levers. I lent him mine, he managed to bend the tip of my steel-core levers. I think he was running overly wide mountain tires on a too-narrow rim, but that is just my theory. To top it off, once he got the tire off he discovered his spare tube was Schrader and didn't fit in his Presta-drilled rim. I was on my roadie, and only had equipment for such, so couldn't help him. He did offer to get me new levers, which was nice.

Luckily, my attempt on the return ride went better. Another roadie was stopped in the rain, and I was able to help her and her father change her tire much more quickly than they were achieving. I'm just glad it wasn't me with the flat, because the tire / rim combo I have on that bike usually requires 40 minutes to get a flat changed.

And I have to admit, I was paying it forward because the last time I flatted I only had one lever with me, and on that bike, one just doesn't work (for me). For the bike-tour guide that stopped to help, it did.
Old 07-09-08, 04:14 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Industrial
I think I was around 8 when I changed my first flat. I used a few flat tip screwdrivers on aluminum rims just like my dad taught me... *shudder*

I'm sure it's been said many times here already but heres my 2 cents:

1. Get quality tire levers. Pedros or Parks.
2. Topeak Morph Line of pumps or bust. Every other mini pump I've ever used SUCKED.
Once you have mastered the basic technique of changing tires, you eventually find that you can change change a tire without the use of tire irons. Initially I would avoid the tire irons when putting the new tube on (mainly to avoid pinching the tire with the irons) - it got to be easy enough that I reasoned that I could do the same when removing the tire as well.

Thus I don't bother carrying tire irons any more. Makes my pannier just that little bit lighter.
Old 07-09-08, 04:43 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by ban guzzi
I'm in the 5 minute crowd these days. Practice roadside in all weather makes you faster...

I did notice you said it looked like the hole was at the valve stem base? Your not tightening the little nut on the valve are you? That would do the damage I think your talking about. My LBS doesn't use those nuts but I do. I just never tighten to the rim. Always checking and making sure they are tight will tear your tubes! Leave em loose if you really like them...

Thought it was funny you were running Schwalbe and still flatted so soon...
Put the valve nut inside the rim. When finished pumping the tube you will not damage the area
when pulling off the pump head. (see Pic)

Old 07-09-08, 04:45 PM
hxzero
Needs to Ride More

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi EL/OS, 1991 Miyata QuickCross

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ok_commuter
Will people please stop saying "Pay it Forward"? That was such a hokey, horrible movie. That was never a saying before that movie was it? Just a terrible, terrible movie. Let's come up with a different phrase, one that doesn't make me think of that awful, annoying film.
Wikipedia says it was. Don't let a bad movie ruin a decent phrase.
Old 07-09-08, 08:55 PM
ablang

Bikes: not worth mentioning

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Industrial
2. Topeak Morph Line of pumps or bust. Every other mini pump I've ever used SUCKED.
My brother swears by the Hurricane Air Scepter Mini.
Old 07-10-08, 10:48 AM
AmberRae
Beginner

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
If I was single, I'd have taken her up on the beer. Damn wedding vows!
hahaha, good reason... I GUESS!! jk... if only more men were like you :sigh: