Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Harassed at the grocery store Thursday night.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Harassed at the grocery store Thursday night.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-08, 09:35 AM
anthegreat1
Custom User Title

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmmm . . . .I'm really not sure how i feel about this. The bike is a rather unique creation. It can be a childs toy, hipster vanity, essential job equipment, or primary means of transportation. They probably had an incident of people acting a fool in the parking lot and thus the rule. It would just cause conflict if they allowed some people to ride and others not to. The security guard and company would get hell trying judge who could and who couldn't ride.
Old 07-14-08, 09:39 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by d2create
A lot of private property owners don't allow skateboards either.
A lot of property owners don't allow skateboards because of skateboarders' fondness for doing grinds and thereby damaging benches, curbs, walls, steps, rails, etc. I've never yet seen a bike doing a grind, but if you do, please post the vid.
Old 07-14-08, 09:40 AM
BroadSTPhilly
The Haberdasher

Bikes: Panasonic AL-7000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chris H,

I think that the way of thinking you espouse needs moderation. It is true that the same people saying walk your bike through the parking lot may also be the ones saying we should ride on the sidewalk. However being a hardliner about every issue makes you less likely to change their minds not less. We will make more gains as reasonable citizens demanding that their rights be respected than as agitating activists striving for a car free world. You can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
Old 07-14-08, 09:42 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
At the Ralphs in La Quinta I was always amused to note that the shopping center prohibited bicycles on the property, but Ralphs had bike racks out in front of the store. Fortunately, there was no enforcement on the prohibition on bicycles. Of course, maybe that is why the bicycle store that was there, went out of business.

The important thing to know is that there may be different rules for the parking lot and the store as they are under different managements.

Given the circumstances, I'd walk the bike across the parking lot and lock it inside the store. Of course it may be an enforcement issue. What you may be able to do is ride in unless challenged, and if challenged, get off the bike and walk it into the store.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 07-14-08, 10:03 AM
eAspenwood
likes bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BroadSTPhilly
Chris H,

I think that the way of thinking you espouse needs moderation. It is true that the same people saying walk your bike through the parking lot may also be the ones saying we should ride on the sidewalk. However being a hardliner about every issue makes you less likely to change their minds not less. We will make more gains as reasonable citizens demanding that their rights be respected than as agitating activists striving for a car free world. You can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
agreed that a little moderation goes a long way towards a productive discussion, but if u think Chris H's response was bad you'd be really taken aback by the SS/FG forum. some serious hatin' going on in there. its sort of entertaining, but definitely not the most productive thing.
Old 07-14-08, 10:15 AM
Chris H

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BroadSTPhilly
Chris H,

I don't disagree with you at all. I think approaching instances like these with tact, and a little charm, goes a very long way in achieving your goals.

As I stated earlier. When contacting the customer service side of things, a well written and thought out letter can go a long way. I generally prefer a written letter as opposed to e-mail. It is not as easy to hit the delete key when it's on paper. People in that arena generally respond to nicely articulated and well thought out remarks, as long as you remember your audience and don't talk down to them.
Old 07-14-08, 10:38 AM
ews

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stop writing 69 cent checks and maybe they'll reconsider.
Old 07-14-08, 10:41 AM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sirlight
I drop by Ralphs on the way home from my evening commute Thursday to pick up a few things. For you familiar with the northern San Diego area, this is the store on the corner of Melrose and Cannon.

I'm riding through the parking lot at a slow pace and this security waves his hands signaling me to stop. He informs me that there are no bikes allowed on the property and that this is posted by many signs in the parking lot. So I chain my bike to a lamp post and go inside to talk to the manager. I try to explain that my bike is my means of transportation and I have the same rights as anyone in a car. She tells me "this is private property" and it's the owners policy not to allow bikes. It's fine if I want to walk my bike from the street and even bring it inside the store for them to watch while I shop, but not ride.

My finial comment before leaving there was that I have been shopping there for many years but will no longer. Maybe a good written letter to Ralph corporate is in order to let them know why they have lost a customer.
I say send them a strongly worded letter and get everyone you know in the area to do the same. As gas prices go up a "no bikes" policy is going to make them very look very "un-green" and make them look bad.
Old 07-14-08, 10:43 AM
richardmasoner
Fritz M

Bikes: Trek, Spesh, GT, Centurion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The policy is almost certainly because of children riding their bikes all over the place. The local manager's application of this to somebody who is clearly using his bike for transportation is ridiculous. I'd make a stink about it.

I'm very tempted to stop taking my business to my local Nob Hill (owned by Ralph's) because of this incident.
Old 07-14-08, 10:51 AM
kila kila kila

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
I've never yet seen a bike doing a grind, but if you do, please post the vid.
You're kidding, right?

Old 07-14-08, 10:57 AM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The policy on bikes likely has to do with kids riding bikes in the parking lot. It's easier to ban all bikes instead of banning just kids on bikes. Same goes for that one in a million skater that commutes on four tiny wheels.

The store is concerned with the safety of kids... and they don't want to get sued by angry parents when some dumb kid tries to pop a wheelie and ends up underneath an SUV.

Yes... your bike is your main mode of transportation. They're not saying that isn't the case. They just don't want to have to make a judgement call every time a bicycle comes into the parking lot to decide whether this one is worthy of riding (adult commuter)... and that one is not worthy and must walk (kid on a BMX bike).

I can see both sides of this... and I must say that their offer of allowing you to bring the bike inside is a very generous one. A really nice bike rack would work too.

--sam
Old 07-14-08, 11:33 AM
HumbleGrendel
commuter

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stores already ban loitering. Why not enforce the loitering rule on kids hanging around on their bikes? If an adult or kid rides to the store on a bike, it should not be prohibited. The OP has every right to be furious. For those who think it is fine to walk the bike . . . would you do it if you had to walk 1/4 mile in the parking lot? 1/2 mile? 1 mile? Some stores and shopping centers can have an awful lot of asphalt between the public street and the front door.
Old 07-14-08, 11:36 AM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm wondering if their insurance covers auto users on their lot? Higher risk group, too. The argument doesn't hold water.

That silliness aside, they seem rather accommodating once you do arrive.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 07-14-08, 11:45 AM
Tex_Arcana
Lone Star

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by triplebutted
Perhaps it was just the way the guard talked to you? I hate that when they think they have so much power...just a guard.
I know it's not quite the same.

There is a decorative high arch bridge over the fake pond with a waterfall in the center of the apt. complex where I sit at the gate logging in visitors. That bridge is a magnet for kids on cheap Wal-Mart bikes. Lots of times they barely make it over, most of the time they pay no attention to the cars whipping around them and see lots of near misses. It's fun (I've ridden over it myself after hours/on my way home when the traffic has died down) sure but I don't want to see a helmetless kid splattered all over the front end of a car or truck.

Even though I have not been told to keep the bikes off the bridge, I take it upon myself to avert a dangerous situation by telling the kids to leave.

Since I'm "just a guard" I find the method that works best is to tell them that traffic is too heavy, they do not have proper safety equipment, and that the people around here drive like jerks and they will kill you.

I'm not power tripping. I'm looking out for the safety of the kids (maybe better then the parents that put them on crappy bikes with no helmets). The fact that the property might be sued is irrelevant to me since they never asked me to stop the behavior. Call me a a**hole for doing it. If it seems like I'm power tripping to you or talking down to you please try my job for a while. I deal with all kinds of people that don't know me, or my job, but see me as an "authority figure" that they can give some grief. My personal style is to ask nicely, be polite, make "suggestions" and say "please" and "thank you". This tends to disarm most and gets compliance but most of the time I get the "you're not a cop and you can't tell me what to do" attitude. If you get a 'tude from "just a guard", please try to understand that they are trying to do a job and that no one seems to appreciate at all. They catch grief from the "guests" if they do it correctly and from the employer if they don't.
Old 07-14-08, 12:00 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by eAspenwood
wow. you should definitely write headquarters. its suprising to see that kinda treatment coming out of north america's 5th most bike friendly city.
Yeah right... My local VONS in Clairemont Square removed their bike rack during a recent minor remodel.

On the other hand, my local Home Depot has installed bike racks in a new open and obvious area... I used to have to go behind the displays on the front sidewalk to find bike parking. (That's the Home Depot at Balboa and Genesee... just in case you happen to need some small items suitable for carrying by bike... I probably wouldn't pick up a load of plywood that way though... )

The local Henrys on Genesee doesn't have bike racks either... and my office here in "the 5th best cycling city" has one rack, no showers and a no bike in office policy (although they don't enforce it).

This area has a long way to go to live up to that coveted title.
Old 07-14-08, 12:04 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by triplebutted
I live nearby...sort of. Orange Co. Most of the shopping areas are owned by the Irvine Co. and there is no riding in the lot. Lots and lots of kids riding bikes here and I would rather they wouldn't ride in the parking lot anyway. You never know. Besides, its illegal to ride on the sidewalk anyway. And if it is private property, its private property. I ride my bike to Ralphs all the time and once in while, they'll ask me to "kindly walk" my bike. Perhaps it was just the way the guard talked to you? I hate that when they think they have so much power...just a guard.
My kids remind me all the time to "dad! get off you bike" when we are in the shopping plazas.
Why not post a sign saying "Bicycle riding permitted for shopping only" instead of no bikes. Further why not dedicate one parking space to bikes... so the guards can see the destination of the cyclist and determine the difference between kids jacking around and serious shoppers.

The problem is the overall view of bikes as toys, vice serious transportation.
Old 07-14-08, 12:06 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by d2create
Exactly!
So what if they want you to walk your bike in the parking lot? Getting to bring it inside and watched by the store manager is awesome. You can even load your groceries into your panniers before ever leaving the store!
Depending on the size of the lot... some local shopping centers are quite large.
Old 07-14-08, 12:08 PM
annc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lalato
The policy on bikes likely has to do with kids riding bikes in the parking lot. It's easier to ban all bikes instead of banning just kids on bikes. Same goes for that one in a million skater that commutes on four tiny wheels.

The store is concerned with the safety of kids... and they don't want to get sued by angry parents when some dumb kid tries to pop a wheelie and ends up underneath an SUV.

Yes... your bike is your main mode of transportation. They're not saying that isn't the case. They just don't want to have to make a judgement call every time a bicycle comes into the parking lot to decide whether this one is worthy of riding (adult commuter)... and that one is not worthy and must walk (kid on a BMX bike).

I can see both sides of this... and I must say that their offer of allowing you to bring the bike inside is a very generous one. A really nice bike rack would work too.

--sam
If the problem is kids using the parking lot as a playground then the solution is to kick out kids using the parking lot as a playground. It has a simple test, "Is the person playing in the parking lot?" If security enforces this rule, then the problem will be solved without annoying other people.
Old 07-14-08, 12:27 PM
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Bikes: 1975-1980 SR road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The private property argument comes up every time something like this gets posted.

It's wrong, and is about as legally simplistic as saying "it's a free country" while mooning someone.

Property in the US is not just public vs. private. Private of various types comes with restrictions on the owner. Public of various types does not grant unlimited rights to everyone on it. Look up land use codes.

Any shopping center in the US, is granted development permits on the condition of agreeing to terms of the locality, especially things like footing the bill for nearby intersections and providing convenient access for the public, law enforcement, etc. They cannot just band a type of vehicle arbitrarily, especially if their property is easily accessible to the public.

For those in doubt, look up the cases where malls blocked access from public busses, and the resulting liability that ensued when people were injured or victims of crime travelling from the bus stop to the mall. Liability is the cover story. The truth is discrimination against "undesirables" (they want to shelter their affluent customers from anyone not owning a car).
Old 07-14-08, 12:36 PM
squeakywheel
domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Security guard at a grocery store?
Old 07-14-08, 12:41 PM
Throwmeabone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure a bicycle is a legal vehicle on the road, but you're not going to convince those people. I would be thrilled if they let me take it inside and watch it for me.
Old 07-14-08, 12:48 PM
Pinyon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Around here, that could quickly turn into some type of critical mass situation, where 50+ bikers, some with recumbent bikes, slowly walk their bikes through the store on a busy weekend afternoon...
Old 07-14-08, 12:50 PM
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Bikes: 1975-1980 SR road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't need to convince them. Tell them to call the cops.
Old 07-14-08, 12:51 PM
neopipil
Urban rider

Bikes: Giant Iguana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The policy is not about safety. It is about liability. The store does not want be liable if you get hurt on their property. Motor vehicles normally carry some type of insurance that will cover any damages to yourself or vehicles involved in an accident on their property. Makes perfect sense from a business perspective.
Old 07-14-08, 12:56 PM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kila kila kila
You call that a grind, hmmm? Okay. But show me the part where he busts a chunk off the curb.

Otherwise, it's still irrelevant to compare a bike ban to a skateboard ban.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.