Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Okay, so I didn't want a road bike after all...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 07:22 PM
starla
my nose itches

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2013 Redline Conquest Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a Trek 1.2 in May, thinking I really wanted a road bike for weekend rides, etc. However, in that time, I have put less than 100 miles on the bike because it is just so uncomfortable to me. I changed the saddle within hours of riding the bike (to a Terry Butterfly, FYI), and still, the only way my girl parts are happy is if I have the saddle tilted down so far I feel like I'm sliding off the bike. My arms and neck hurt as well. I was "fitted" at the bike shop, but I kind of have the feeling they are more of the "can you stand over the top tube?" kind of fitters. Maybe not that bad, but I had never had a road bike before, and I don't think they really helped me out as much as they should have.

So I am selling that bike, and looking into getting a Trek SU 2.0. It is on paper the perfect bike for me. I love the 26x1.5 tires. I love the flat bars. I love the geometry. <voice="quiet">and yes, i love the color. i'm a girl. sue me.</voice>

However, when I asked my LBS about ordering the bike (the dude looked at me like I was crazy when I named the model I was interested in...I don't think he'd heard of it before...kept asking me if it was a road or a mountain bike), and what would happen if I didn't like the bike, I was told it would be a 25% restocking fee. Wow. I feel like that is really unreasonable. Am I wrong? I'm going to call some bicycle shops in Austin to see if I can find the bike and try it out. Or if I can find a bike shop with a more lenient policy on special orders.
Old 07-06-08, 07:42 PM
Industrial
^_^

Bikes: Cannondale System Six, Specialized FSR-XC, Specialized Langster, Univega Arrow Spot, Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a pretty steep restocking fee but can you blame them? I'm not sure about Austin but commuter bikes that cost more than $400 stay on the shelves for years in some of the bike shops I go to. Most of the ones I see are pretty normal sizes too and they still don't sell.

I don't see the need to try it out. It's a standard hybrid. As long as the size isn't far off it's going to be a hybrid... ? It's not that complex of a bike where riding it would make some huge difference if you know what a hybrid bike feels like.
Old 07-06-08, 08:36 PM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sell your bike if you like, but it sounds like you need quite a bit of fit assistance. Very few people can not be accomodated on a road bike. Especially a pretty conserative road bike like a trek 1.2.
Old 07-06-08, 08:36 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
No, a restocking fee is not unreasonable for unusual and expensive items.

Can you post a picture of your road bicycle by itself and also a picture of you on your road bicycle?
Old 07-06-08, 08:40 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
You should consider finding another LBS. Sounds to me like they are of the "sell the customer what we have in stock" mentality...
Old 07-06-08, 08:56 PM
JasonC

Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0, Giant Sedona (old, winter/rain bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my first road bike last September. For the first few weeks of my 8-mile (roundtrip) commute, I felt very insecure (like I wasn't in control compared to being on my hybrid). Once I started doing longer weekend rides, I got over that, but started having other problems... namely with my bottom and my hands.

So far, I have chalked that up to bad positioning. I try to tweak it as I go. I also bought some Novara padded boxers, which help a little bit.

When everything was said and done for me, time and small position changes have helped.

Like the others said, maybe try a different LBS. Some may do special fitting, with lots of measurements and a computer. Check this one out... https://www.crankdaddys.com/services.htm
Old 07-06-08, 08:58 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by starla

However, when I asked my LBS about ordering the bike (the dude looked at me like I was crazy when I named the model I was interested in...I don't think he'd heard of it before...kept asking me if it was a road or a mountain bike), and what would happen if I didn't like the bike, I was told it would be a 25% restocking fee. Wow. I feel like that is really unreasonable. Am I wrong? I'm going to call some bicycle shops in Austin to see if I can find the bike and try it out. Or if I can find a bike shop with a more lenient policy on special orders.
They're being unreasonable, play hardball. Inform them that you were fitted on a bike which has not worked out for you and that you're willing to try again with them.
Old 07-06-08, 09:25 PM
bab2000

Bikes: riders:Schwinn Continental ('80), Specialized Crossroads Sport ('07), Schwinn Super Sport (73), Schwinn Superior (76), Projects: Schwinn Sprint ('74), Trek 800 & Schwinn Continental ('71)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I changed the saddle within hours of riding the bike (to a Terry Butterfly, FYI), and still, the only way my girl parts are happy is if I have the saddle tilted down so far I feel like I'm sliding off the bike. My arms and neck hurt as well. I was "fitted" at the bike shop, but I kind of have the feeling they are more of the "can you stand over the top tube?" kind of fitters. Maybe not that bad, but I had never had a road bike before, and I don't think they really helped me out as much as they should have.
From this description, of the seat titled, I would suspect raising your handlebar stem, bringing it about level with the seat will improve your ride position.

The SU2 geometry is radically different, and full aluminum frame will be less forgiving as your press bike with carbon.

What they likely fitted, you to bike, is by means of traditional measurements, of seat for proper leg extension, and seat to handle bars length for your upper torso. Not exactly for comfort in my book.

My road bike, is a large frame, yet I am cramp with bars lower than the seat, better when level, (more touring style in my book). Added padded gloves, and improved the steel framae ride of the old class Schwinn.

Your 1.2 looks to be a sleek and class ride, and some additional tweaking should resolve.

Unless you prefer the 26" wider tire tread under you, and more upright position, then you made error is desire on first purchase.

If present shop is not authorized Trek outlet, I would seek one for your solution, as i have not encounter a shop not willing to place order for customers request after receiving down payment to secure the order's initial expenses.

All the best and hope you can locate what you seek.
Old 07-06-08, 09:27 PM
starla
my nose itches

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish
Sell your bike if you like, but it sounds like you need quite a bit of fit assistance. Very few people can not be accomodated on a road bike. Especially a pretty conserative road bike like a trek 1.2.
Based on? If this bike was just the wrong size to begin with, I hardly see that that's somehow because I am "hard to fit." I told them I had not ridden a road bike regularly so I wasn't sure what to expect regarding the feel and positioning when I tried it. I'm not blaming them for me ending up with the wrong bike; I should have been more vocal about feeling like the bike didn't fit when I started. I assumed I was just not used to being in such a low position and that as I got used to the bike, it would be more normal feeling.

Regardless, I am selling the bike not only because I don't like the fit but also because I was wrong about how it would work with how I ride. It was a mistake to begin with, but I am learning. A racing style bike is useless to me because I am not concerned about speed, and I want to (be able to) carry too much stuff.
Old 07-06-08, 09:42 PM
starla
my nose itches

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
No, a restocking fee is not unreasonable for unusual and expensive items.

Can you post a picture of your road bicycle by itself and also a picture of you on your road bicycle?
Thanks...I know you are very helpful. A restocking fee might be reasonable, but I've always seen them at about 10-15%. 25% seemed excessive. After a lot of going back and forth in my head about what to do, should I try to work out the road bike or sell it for something more befitting my lifestyle, regardless of maybe losing a hundred bucks, I am satisfied with my decision to sell the road bike.

Originally Posted by no1mad
You should consider finding another LBS. Sounds to me like they are of the "sell the customer what we have in stock" mentality...
Yeah, that's kind of the feeling I got. When I was first interested in a road bike, I asked them about ordering a bike they did not have in stock and they did not seem to want to do that. I thought maybe it was just the guy I dealt with.

Originally Posted by bab2000
...Unless you prefer the 26" wider tire tread under you, and more upright position, then you made error is desire on first purchase...
That is exactly my issue. I just don't care for the road bike as much as I thought I would. Hard to tell how a bike will work with you when you are fairly new to cycling and only ride it around the block. I'm not debating whether a road bike will work. I know now that it won't. I think I thought that I needed a road bike to be "serious" about fitness, whatever that means. I get just as much a work out on my MTB as I did on the road bike. I get out of it what I put into it, and while I love my MTB for light trails, etc., I wanted something a bit lighter and faster for commuting. But still sturdy and secure feeling.
Old 07-06-08, 09:47 PM
ShadowGray
I like my car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heresy! A road bike is the most versatile of bikes! Put some CX tires and it becomes sturdy! Add flat-bar brakes to the flats and you have an upright bike!

Well, it's sad to see someone move from the road bike niche. But why oh why a Trek? There's the Jamis Coda and the Specialized Globe City that both do the same things! Especially the Globe City that comes fully outfitted for a commuter and has internal gearing. And the Coda is steel!
Old 07-06-08, 10:10 PM
Jay D
Human Powered Vehiclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the reason I didn't go with a full on road bike. I know going with the drops are very popular here in this forum, but not all of us are pretending we're racing in the Tour De France when going to work. I went with a Specialized Sirrus, a flat bar road bike that gives me the speed I want for commuting but with the stability of flat bars for the wet and rainy weather here in the Pacific Northwest. The women's version of this bike is the Vita if you're at all interested.

But all in all, don't regret going with a bike that YOU feel comfortable with, we're not racing each other out there and we shouldn't at all be interested in impressing others with our bike choices as well.
Old 07-06-08, 10:15 PM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
starla, have you ever had a ride on a recumbent? ...you haven't experienced true comfort on a bike until you've experienced the comfort of a recumbent, and of course, they're faster than any diamond frame bike, even 'road' bikes (recumbents hold every human-powered record).
Old 07-06-08, 10:22 PM
ShadowGray
I like my car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay D
This is the reason I didn't go with a full on road bike. I know going with the drops are very popular here in this forum, but not all of us are pretending we're racing in the Tour De France when going to work. I went with a Specialized Sirrus, a flat bar road bike that gives me the speed I want for commuting but with the stability of flat bars for the wet and rainy weather here in the Pacific Northwest. The women's version of this bike is the Vita if you're at all interested.

But all in all, don't regret going with a bike that YOU feel comfortable with, we're not racing each other out there and we shouldn't at all be interested in impressing others with our bike choices as well.
I'd have to say I'm more of the opposite. The speed isn't as important as the comfort of holding the drops. Those flat bars are just terrible for ergonomics.

And I'm actually more scared of the upright position... I feel my center of gravity is too high and I can tip over easily.
Old 07-06-08, 11:22 PM
thebarerider

Bikes: Trek520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode a hybrid before buying my first road bike in March. It's actually not a racing bike but a touring bike, the Trek 520. I have had a heck of a time getting comfortable on it. I slapped a Brooks on and thought that would be the end of it, but boy was I wrong.

I've ridden over 1k miles on it so far and I am just now getting into my sweet spot. Let's just say that I learn slowly what works and what doesn't The reason for this is that I ride a lot in town at lower speeds, so I don't know that my adjustments suck until the weekend when I go for a longer ride.

One of my main problems is a poor riding position. I don't use my abs enough and put way too much pressure on my hands. I solved this problem by changing out my stem -- the original one was quite long and too low. I bought a shorter, slightly taller stem and it has helped. I am also concentrating on putting less pressure on my hands by using my abs more, which is really helping.

I ride a lot and I am young. My body adapts quickly. Yet, it has still taken over a thousand miles for me to get myself dialed in to this bike -- with my hybrid, I just hopped on and rode, and only did a few longer rides, so weaknesses in the bike's fit were never exposed. I wouldn't give up after less than 100 miles

Oh BTW I bought the bike at a shop that claimed to be one of THE fitting centers in the Southwest. They measured me, did all sorts of junk...and I still ended up with knee problems after a month and had to deal with it myself.

Last edited by thebarerider; 07-06-08 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-06-08, 11:22 PM
Industrial
^_^

Bikes: Cannondale System Six, Specialized FSR-XC, Specialized Langster, Univega Arrow Spot, Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How does having drop bars = we're all trying to race in the Tour de France? You like flat bar bikes, that's fine. No need to try make absurd observations about something you seemingly know NOTHING about. Flat bars does not equal stability. If any generic bike term or item would give stability it's wheelbase.

I don't think ANYONE buys a bicycle to impress anyone. It's a freaking bicycle! Even if it's a $10,000 carbon fiber wonderbike, 95% of the population will still think it's just from walmart. Where do you get your ideas from??
Old 07-06-08, 11:32 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
A restocking fee might be reasonable, but I've always seen them at about 10-15%. 25% seemed excessive.
Maybe if it were an item that came in just one size and didn't become "last year's bike" when the new model year comes, then a 10%-15% restock fee would be appropriate. But if you decide not to take the bike they ordered in for you, they're stuck with it until they find another person who (1) wants it, and (2) it happens to fit them. And if they find someone who's on the fence, they may have to discount the bike 20% to convince them to take last year's model. Trek is rolling the '09s out already, if you didn't know that.
Old 07-07-08, 01:13 AM
mds0725

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Sirrus, 1973 Raleigh Gran Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Industrial
I don't see the need to try it out. It's a standard hybrid.
I strongly disagree with this. I recently bought a hybrid and test rode several. While it's true that there are certain characteristics that all hybrids have, different brands and even different models from the same manufacturer have different geometry. For example, the Specialized Sirrus I ended up buying has more of a road bike's geometry, so the rider actually sits more forward than on, say, the Raleigh, Giant, Marin and Trek hybrids (sorry, I forget the model names) that I tested, where I felt I was riding more upright. Since positioning on the bike plays a big role in how comfortable the bike is, and since the OP's specific complaint was with her positioning on the bike she wanted to replace, I couldn't imagine her just buying a "standard hybrid" without riding it first.
Old 07-07-08, 01:50 AM
csr
Don't cycle?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In some parts of Europe at least, what we call a "road bike" is the exception, not the rule, that one sees about. Most people are fairly upright on their daily commutes. They lope easily along, and are very comfortable.
Old 07-07-08, 05:10 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

So... a touring bike = racing the tour?
Ack!
Old 07-07-08, 06:25 AM
bab2000

Bikes: riders:Schwinn Continental ('80), Specialized Crossroads Sport ('07), Schwinn Super Sport (73), Schwinn Superior (76), Projects: Schwinn Sprint ('74), Trek 800 & Schwinn Continental ('71)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is exactly my issue. I just don't care for the road bike as much as I thought I would. Hard to tell how a bike will work with you when you are fairly new to cycling and only ride it around the block. I'm not debating whether a road bike will work. I know now that it won't. I think I thought that I needed a road bike to be "serious" about fitness, whatever that means. I get just as much a work out on my MTB as I did on the road bike. I get out of it what I put into it, and while I love my MTB for light trails, etc., I wanted something a bit lighter and faster for commuting. But still sturdy and secure feeling.
And that is the best reason to visit multiple bike shops and test ride what is no the floor. Get the feel of riding position, wheel/tire types, and several different bike geometries.

Entering a shop and asking them to order a bike based on findings in a brochure, catalog or on the internet for a newbie is a huge error (IMHO).

For fit, the first two items to consider is leg/foot position between seat and pedals.

1. The seat should be able to be extended so when your pedal is at the lowest position, you are in the saddle straight and able to rest your heel on the that pedal. Check both sides, many people have different leg lengths.. If so then find seat height inbetween the differences.

2. The seat position forward or back should be adjusted so that when the crank arms are parallel to the ground, the forward position of your ankle to knee should be almost vertical. If your ankle is forward of the knee, your saddle is adjusted to far back, you will also experience knee issues as you are exerting downward pressure on ankle with out knee providing good backside support.

Then you can select your best arm/hand and upper body position with the height of the handle bars and if extend forward of the steering stem or back toward you body.

Drop down handle bars does not mean road bike, it is one selection of many, that provides the most variety of hand and arm positions depending on the ride and how your joints feel at that moment.

All the best in your search.

PS: If you have MTB (?) and like it, why not buy a second set of wheels for this ride and install slick style tires, this will increase the functionality of a bike you seem comfortable.
Old 07-07-08, 07:51 AM
starla
my nose itches

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bab2000
Entering a shop and asking them to order a bike based on findings in a brochure, catalog or on the internet for a newbie is a huge error (IMHO).
I get that, and I agree, but here's my dilemma: I don't want to make another newbie mistake. Frankly, I'm a little tired of buying bikes. (Just kidding of course, but I would like to find the right one). I want to do the right thing by trying out different bikes and not just setting for something on the floor. My problem is that I don't like most of the bikes they have in stock and ready to try out. The selection is slim. It's mostly MTBs (of which I currently own two, so don't think I need another), road bikes, kids bikes, one commuter, a couple of cruisers, and a couple of hybrids. And two unicycles.

But I do feel better about the restocking fee after reading the responses here. Maybe that's just to be expected. I just kind of felt like I was being penalized for wanting to find the right bike and not just settling for a stock bike, but I do kind of tend to take things a little too much to heart at times.

Regarding my original desire for a road bike: I wanted my LBS to order a Trek 1.2 WSD 54cm specifically to try it out. I called them on a Monday. They told me they had a 52cm WSD, a 54cm standard, and an '07 Allez 54cm that would be assembled by that weekend. They asked me to try those out before ordering the larger WSD. The 1.2 52cm was definitely too small. The Allez was not assembled as they had promised. The 54cm mostly fit. I was assured that it fit fine although he did notice a "hump" in my back. He said I might come back after riding it a while and he would adjust the handlebars or the stem or something that would fix that.

Again, I appreciate that everyone has their preferences and a lot of people are so in love with their road bikes. I think that's awesome. It's just not for me after all. I usually carry stuff when I ride because I normally have a destination in mind, and I will need a change of clothes, or have to bring work to do, etc., even on the weekends. I just don't see the point of carrying a bunch of stuff on a bike designed to be a racing bike. I don't want a road bike forced into being a utility bike. It makes more sense to me to get a bike designed for the way I want to use it.
Old 07-07-08, 08:03 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Have you thought of a touring bike of some sort? They would do exactly what you have mentioned and are a decent compromise between speed, durability, and they can haul amazing amounts of goods. You may have issues trying to find one but they would fit the bill perfectly. IMHO
Personally, I find them too sluggish but that is my issue.

Ex:
Novara randonee at REI
The canondale touring bikes
A surly long haul trucker
Trek 520

Or even a sport touring bike is nice. That or a road bike with proper braze ons like a Salsa Casserole.

Just saying there are more options.
Old 07-07-08, 08:09 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I know going with the drops are very popular here in this forum, but not all of us are pretending we're racing in the Tour De France when going to work.
Maybe that's what others are doing, but for me, I tuck into the drops when I get hit with a headwind and my legs start whimpering for relief from the aero drag of my big torso.

Not all drop-bar bikes are race bikes, of course; ditto to DataJunkie's post just above.
Old 07-07-08, 08:24 AM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
I bought a Trek 1.2 in May, thinking I really wanted a road bike for weekend rides, etc. However, in that time, I have put less than 100 miles on the bike because it is just so uncomfortable to me. I changed the saddle within hours of riding the bike (to a Terry Butterfly, FYI), and still, the only way my girl parts are happy is if I have the saddle tilted down so far I feel like I'm sliding off the bike. My arms and neck hurt as well. I was "fitted" at the bike shop, but I kind of have the feeling they are more of the "can you stand over the top tube?" kind of fitters. Maybe not that bad, but I had never had a road bike before, and I don't think they really helped me out as much as they should have.

So I am selling that bike, and looking into getting a Trek SU 2.0. It is on paper the perfect bike for me. I love the 26x1.5 tires. I love the flat bars. I love the geometry. <voice="quiet">and yes, i love the color. i'm a girl. sue me.</voice>

have you tried modifying the road bike? I found I needed to raise the handlebars higher than the seat... and I use a seat that I got off my trek 7100 hybrid... after that I could ride for a couple of hours before starting to feel it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.