Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ride Quality: Carbon vs. Aluminum w/Carbon Fork?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 02:59 PM
Sceadu498

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Trek 6000, Built up a Carbon Raod Bike with a Wiel Frameset, Diamondback Insight

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I was wondering what the difference in ride quality is between a Carbon bike versus an Aluminum Frame with Carbon Fork.

What sort of difference in ride can one expect?
Old 04-07-15, 03:09 PM
Elvo

Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
You need to specify which frames you are comparing
Old 04-07-15, 06:03 PM
Sceadu498

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Trek 6000, Built up a Carbon Raod Bike with a Wiel Frameset, Diamondback Insight

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
My current road bike is a 1999 LeMond Alpe Duez aluminum frame with a Time Stiletto carbon fork. Been wondering about how a carbon frame bike rides in comparison. If a carbon bike has a better ride I wonder if I should look into selling it or getting a carbon frame set and switching out the components.

i know I am not as comfortable on my current bike the older I have gotten.
Old 04-07-15, 06:10 PM
Elvo

Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Sceadu498
My current road bike is a 1999 LeMond Alpe Duez aluminum frame with a Time Stiletto carbon fork. Been wondering about how a carbon frame bike rides in comparison. If a carbon bike has a better ride I wonder if I should look into selling it or getting a carbon frame set and switching out the components.

i know I am not as comfortable on my current bike the older I have gotten.
It's likely that you'll find a carbon endurance bike with wide tires like a Defy Advanced, Cannondale Synapse Carbon, or Trek Domane to be a lot more comfortable. But there are also stiff carbon bikes like a Fuji SST, Scott Foil, or S5 that you may not find to be any different than what you have.
Old 04-07-15, 06:11 PM
Lazyass

Liked 647 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
You need to specify which frames you are comparing
Very true. But..................

Old 04-07-15, 06:43 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
CAAD10 or death

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 04-07-15, 08:22 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It depends on the particular bikes in question. It's not so much what they're made of, but HOW they were made; the quality/attention to detail of the frame; what kind of use the bike is intended for; geometry; etc.

I have an old Klein which is aluminum with a carbon fork; and a late-model carbon Venge, with carbon seat post; handlebars and cranks. They're both high-quality, stiff, race-oriented bikes. You'd be surprised how similarly they ride. Hard to even tell a difference- but if push comes to shove, I think I'd haver to say that the AL Klein rides a little better than the CF Venge.

The only way you'll likely know, is to test ride the bikes in question. If they're in similar price ranges, and similar types of bikes, you likely won't even notice a difference. On the other hand, compare a $1000 bike and a $5000 bike....regardless of which is CF and which is AL....you'll notice a difference.

Generally speaking:
Decent quality AL trumps cheap CF
Decent CF trumps cheap AL.
Old 04-07-15, 09:54 PM
seymour1910

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
CAAD10 or death
say it again my CAAD brother
Old 04-08-15, 06:56 AM
Domane

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aluminum/carbon fork vs Carbon, I had a Trek 2.1 aluminum road bike with 105 5700 group generic Shimano crank and tektro brake calipers. I now have a Trek Domane 4.5 with full Ultegra 6700 group with the exception of the brakes which are current Dura Ace and the crank which is the current Ultegra 6800.

The ride quality of both bikes is good. On a smooth road surface the aluminum 2.1 rode smooth but any change in the pavement you could fell it and bumps while very manageable where sent through the frame to the rider. On the same smooth road surface the Domane 4.5 400 series carbon ride is very smooth like you are gliding over the roadway. Small change in the pavement is soaked up by the Domane 4.5 retaining that smooth gliding over the pavement feeling. Bumps are more muted and not as harsh when compared to the aluminum Trek 2.1 and the aluminum Trek was not a harsh riding bike.

The aluminum Trek 2.1 rode very nice and was a great bike but the 400 series carbon Domane 4.5 takes it to the next level in smoothness.

You really have to ride the bikes on the same roads you travel on to make a valid comparison between the two. When I first bought my Domane I thought I had made a mistake but after fine tuning the fit and adjusting and changing the component's that I wanted to upgrade this Domane 4.5 is really a much nicer bike than the already very nice Trek aluminum 2.1 and the ride quality is really better on the Domane than the 2.1 remembering the Trek 2.1 was still a very nice riding bike in its own right.
Old 04-08-15, 07:12 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts
Up front the fork makes a huge difference (with a given tire/bar/stem/tape combo).

At the back the frame makes some difference (with a given tire/saddle/post combo).

It's more complex than that but that's a place to start. As stated above you really need to ride the bikes/frames in question. A modern bike typically is much more supple than an older one. This is especially true with aluminum, where modern frame are much more refined than the older frames. With carbon there's also an element of vibration absorption which is why carbon forks and bars are more comfy.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 04-08-15, 09:58 AM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've actually only done a few rides on my CAAD - it's still 'new-to-me'. Definitely stiffer than the steel bike it replaced.

All things equal, the full carbon bike should be a bit smoother and more forgiving than an alloy frame (especially on longer rides and rougher roads). The problem is that few things are equal. High-end alloy (like a CAAD10 or Smartweld) will likely trump mid- to lower-end carbon (like a generic Nashbar-style frame). I'd probably take decent carbon over decent alloy...but those aren't likely to be priced the same if similarly spec'ed.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur